Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tranny service-To flush or not to flush???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ashleymc34
Yeah right..so put the tranny in half shock..that sounds like a good thing to do..haha
better than full shock and doing it all and losing your trany...

Old 10-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it's your choice whether to listen to opinions and advice from us or not but every one here is tryin to help you and stear you in the right direction

Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 AM

Ashley, what the fellas are stating is correct. Do a flush on your tranny and it will begging to slip and act up. Soon after you will be taking it in for a rebuild. Do not do a flush, whatever you do. The detergents in the new oil are just too harsh on the tranny's clutches and seals to do a complete flush. I used to reuse the old oil, after straining it, for fear of the detergents damaging the tranny. That was a fun job.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:34 AM

when i got my 98 silverado it had the same miledge as your monty has 87k on it and i did a service on it the best thing i ever did. the trans mission shop droped the pan befor and after the service to check the magnet and filter. granted they replaced the filter the first time the reason why they hooked it up to a flush mashine is to geet the old oil out of the torq converter that was jet black that is why they droped the pan the second time is to check for bad clutches and gears afterwards. they only charged me for the service a good shop always changes the filter in the transmission durring the service if they dont they hope you will be back for trans work. the trans shop told me if there were trans work needed to be done they would do it for the price of the parts wich was 600. for gears clutches bands things like that. but when they did it it ran like it was driven off the dealer perchased as new. i always do trans service on my cars new or used no matter what. do to never nowing if the person drives the car like they stolle it as in shifting the auto as a manuel

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM

2X on what Mamonte Aka Michael has said all along just drop the pan, drain the fluid and filter as described above. This is sound advise.
Here's the skinny on this flush or not to flush and why on a 4T65e Transmission!
Between the valve body plates, there is a seperator plate that clogs with debris when flushed. It is designed to relieve pressure on the (If I remember correctly, the apply valve's pressure relief hole) . If you have a stock trans, then NO WAY do a flush! It clogs the hole in the seperator plate. Unless you had the trans done with a sonnax apply valve,TCC valves etc. and their shift kit installed in the valve body, then the tech whould have drilled out this hole in the seperator plate to .030" to allow for this debris to pass and it would be fine for a flush, otherwise Don't do it you'll be sorry. You can research this through the Sonnax website yourself. Using a Silverado RWD is not a good example!
Take it from the guy who is having so many trans problems.
Sincerely,
Rob~

Last edited by flhrob's SS; 10-26-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added info:
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Since opinions on what to do have been varying and you really don't want to take our advice, I suggest you start reading ALLLLLL about your transmission and then take into account what YOU want to do.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com...sion_Info.html

(also keep in mind... 87,000 is NOT a lot of miles if the car wasn't abused)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM

With all due respect, F.Y.I.
http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/SC-4T65-E-IN.pdf

Scroll to Page 5. See drawing 9b of the plate.
That's all I'm saying after this.
Sincerely,
Rp~

Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM

ok i have don a service allready on my monty when it got flushed it actually ran better. the temp gage is actually is a little lower than where it was sitting and shifts alot better affter the service its all what the person wants to do. also every one will do what they will think is the best. whats makes a front wheel drive and rwd trans is the design the setup is the same as where the workings are to play. exept that the front wheel drive have two axels that plug into it that is pretty much the simularitys end. exept for the function of the trans is the same with all of gm design from front wheel to rear wheel drive vehicles all are the same but the out put are different i have torn down a gm front wheet trans and a rear wheel trans the only thing i have noticed that is different is where you get to the rear of the trans where the out puts of both trans are. gm trans are under rated do to pepol saying that the plate and the valve will break if you do a flush is wrong in a way to say. an auto matic is a auto matic if you say one trans mission cant do a flush you should say all auto trans should not do it. if you personally work at a trans shop like i do you should not say what you are saying rob. a common trans shop will drop the pan well be for doing a service to see if there are meatel shavings in the pan do to horibel shifting.a good trans shop allways drops pan to change filter and check for meatel shaving befor they put in new fluid.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:52 AM

I was going to stay away from this. But it seems I'm pulled onto the carpet. I worked in a shop 25 some years ago, went back to school and got a new venue for a career. Yes some things have changed in the industry, however I'm not dead yet. If you are a transmission tech "in the know" then you know 1st hand the inherent issues that are plaguing the 4T60'S AND 4T65-e's. Why someone would down play these facts is beyond me. I do keep up with current issues and HAVE the GM service bulletins involved on these FWD transmissions as I have an obvious invested reason for doing so. Contrary to the comparison that you used that all AT's are the same except for the axels was a little short my friend. Yes they both have hydraulic fluid in them and they perform the same function to a degree but that's where it ends. What you negated to mention during your analogy is the fact that there is a chain whizzing around at the same rpm as the engine inside on a FWD trans and that the chain debris is the inherent enemy.. that in and of itself usually lodges little metal debris pieces into the forward clutch packs and in the valvebody. Especially When the chain degrades in the first 35k on some 4T65e-HD's. Quite a few of these have required premature rebuilds for failure. Doesn't take much to do a search on the internet these days to research the plagueing issues that I have found. I might add the fact remains that the valve body is mounted sideways in the FWD trans, promoting clutch plate and metal debris to settle and lodge in the porting. The seperator plate hole issue is a unique aspect to this transmission. Our 2 GM dealerships openly admit this is an issue and have had to do repairs to open/ unclog that hole after a so called "flush".
I'm glad to see you are dropping the pans!
Rp~

Last edited by flhrob's SS; 10-27-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 AM

the shop i work at has a mission statment for doing services. as in like a flush on a trans mission there always be a slight meatel shavings in the pan we recomend that the service is 110 after tax because of the amount of the fluid used to do the service. mission statment said this drop pan that cleans the magnet changes filter refill and service the transmission to get the fluid that is in the torqu converter that is where the most of the dirty fluid is. we recomend people to do that it hooks up to the transmissin threw the lines and to the cooler to make sure there is nothing cloging in the cooler as well nothing clogging the lines as well. those are the two things that i am aware of that makes the trans wear out fast. do to old fluidand what ever may the cause to make the trans break. i am aware of only three shops outher than the one i work at dropes the pan durring the service to clean the magnet and chang the filter. the biggest draw do to the service is majority of shops wont do what the minority of shops do to prevent transmission falure. durring the service as in cleen pan and change filter do to debree in the pan that can cause valve damege and premature trans mission falure. there is always a very little shavings in the pan that can clog the valves. very little shops are willing to do what i have said do to they dont want to make the custimer wait. but the shops like the one i work at they explane it will take at least 1.5 to 2 hours to make sure every thing is write with the car and we explane what it is involved as well. and the custimer brings up what the big sop names do for cheaper like89 dallers. we ask the do they ever tell you they drop the pan and change the filter durring the service they usually say no. we tell them we drop the pan first before the service do to what can happen to the trans with out dropping the pan first. the valves what i have seen fail is do to not droping the pan first durring a full service.

Quick Reply: Tranny service-To flush or not to flush???