Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   The tranny finall blew this today :( need advice (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/tranny-finall-blew-today-need-advice-41955/)

Montes4me 03-17-2013 08:25 PM

The tranny finall blew this today :( need advice

Well today the trans finally went out. Something shot out of the pan :/. I purchased a used transmission with 40,000 on it for $150 (couldn't pass that kind of deal up). And I am going to have my friend/mechanic help me put it in. Could anybody give me like a complete list of things such as gaskets and stuff I may need? Also a list of problems that I can expect to run into would be fantastic.I have an 02 ls

ChibiBlackSheep 03-18-2013 08:39 AM

I can't give you a full list, but this would be a great time to switch over to Dexron 6

MillerMonteSS 03-18-2013 08:44 AM

I can't help, but I wanted to point something out.

Blowing a tranny, means something completely different to the car crowd...

Good luck!

Montes4me 03-18-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS (Post 535457)
I can't help, but I wanted to point something out.

Blowing a tranny, means something completely different to the car crowd...

Good luck!

Lmao that was pretty funny. I hate that you can't edit the posting title -.-

ChibiBlackSheep 03-18-2013 09:37 AM

Sure you can, just post what you want it to say. I'll take that line, make it say that, then delete your post requesting the change :thumbsup:

Montes4me 03-18-2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 535455)
I can't give you a full list, but this would be a great time to switch over to Dexron 6

I've been between royal purple and dexron 6. Why do you recommend dexron 6?

ChibiBlackSheep 03-18-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Montes4me (Post 535474)
I've been between royal purple and dexron 6. Why do you recommend dexron 6?

Because it's GM's new fluid, synthetic, runs cooler, breaks down less, and is 100% compatible with cars that require Dex 3.

If you want to run anything else, that's your call. Just don't go back to Dex3 since there is a better alternative with the GM stamp of approval.

Franks 03SS 03-18-2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 535476)
Because it's GM's new fluid, synthetic, runs cooler, breaks down less, and is 100% compatible with cars that require Dex 3.

If you want to run anything else, that's your call. Just don't go back to Dex3 since there is a better alternative with the GM stamp of approval.

X2

Youll need the fluid, a new filter which most likely will come with a flimsy rubber gasket. The original pan gasket is rusable if it hadnt been changed out yet... It's a rubber and metal gasket. If it were me I'd get a new metal/rubber one anyways :) Napa sells the filter and original gasket for around $30 IIRC

Montes4me 03-18-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 535476)

Ok i will take your word for it lol. I really have no knowledge with transmissions so I appreciate your advice. I got the cv shafts out today along with the air filter box and snorkel. Tomorrow my mechanic is gonna help me drop it down.

Montes4me 03-18-2013 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS (Post 535483)
X2

Youll need the fluid, a new filter which most likely will come with a flimsy rubber gasket. The original pan gasket is rusable if it hadnt been changed out yet... It's a rubber and metal gasket. If it were me I'd get a new metal/rubber one anyways :) Napa sells the filter and original gasket for around $30 IIRC

That's what my mechanic recomended. I already got it today! :)