Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Top Swap setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Top Swap setup questions

So i just acquired a top swap kit essentially from someone local. Its a Gen 3 m90, with the L67 heads, fuel rail, injectiors, intake manifold, boost solenoid, all the pulleys, harmonic balancer, and tensioner. essentially everything i need, however now comes some questions. the setup is off a 97 bonneville ssei, and i'm positive with the shorter dogbones the setup will be fine, but what do i need in terms of switching the electrical components and guage setup, etc for the supercharger itself. also, should i worry about the heads having a 160k miles on them. would it be wise to upgrade the rockers and replace the springs now too?

any info would be appreciated

thanks

Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 AM

what do i need in terms of switching the electrical components and guage setup
Nothing... All of your L36 sensors will still work just fine. What PCM are you going to run? Your stock PCM with tuning?

Regarding the boost bypass valve solenoid- I'd recommend not using the solenoid. Just connect your boost bypass valve to the blower via vacuum hose and let it operate by manifold vacuum. This is how I run mine, this is how ZZP advises you do it, and it's just better and easier.

would it be wise to upgrade the rockers and replace the springs now too?
Absolutely. You are going to have knock issues on a 3.8 pulley on a stock L36 bottom end. Adding a set of 1.9 ratio rockers will help you a ton. Throw in a set of GM L76 #90 valve springs while you're at it, install a high flowing exhaust system, and you'll be in great shape!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM

your sure on the electrical stuff, cause the guy told me i would probably need a different wiring harness.

otherwise i was gonna get a custom tune right away after the install, and as far as the boost solenoid goes, wouldnt that mean i'd be making boost at lower speeds if i didn't have it on?

also, i've got the zzp downpipe with the the rest of the exhaust pretty much replaced but i'll probably look up prices on some of those springs, but would you recommend for brands as far as the rockers?

Thanks

Last edited by wildnorth29; 09-23-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

You need l67 injector connectors for sure. A few things will be needed, check the top swap wiring kit from zzp. If you have any questions just ask me. Mabye get a valve job on the heads.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM

You either need to get the adapter harness and wire that into the L36 harness OR get a L67 harness.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM

You need l67 injector connectors for sure
This is true- I forgot about this. I got mine from www.fiveomotorsport.com

You'll want Multec-2 to EV1 adapter harnesses.

Besides the injector harnesses, the only adapter/different harness you'd need would be for an L67 MAP, IF you want to run one. I'd advise against it. I'd use a tuned L36 PCM and use the stock L36 MAP. I'm doing this with great sucess.

All the other sensors are the same. The stock main engine harness works just fine- I'm still using mine.

otherwise i was gonna get a custom tune right away after the install, and as far as the boost solenoid goes, wouldnt that mean i'd be making boost at lower speeds if i didn't have it on?
Nope, it'll be operated by manifold vacuum. It'll still dump boost at low RPM/load. The eletrical boost control solenoid on L67s is mainly used for the PCM limiting boost for torque management/abuse mode kind of stuff. You don't need this- running it off of vacuum only is easier and better, in my opinion.

If you do want to use the BBV solenoid, you WILL need an L67 PCM. I personally think it's completely unnecessary and a waste of time (and possibly money).

also, i've got the zzp downpipe with the the rest of the exhaust pretty much replaced but i'll probably look up prices on some of those springs, but would you recommend for brands as far as the rockers?
ZZP modded stock 1.9 ratio rockers are my recommendation. I've got Yella Terra full roller 1.9s in my Monte and ZZP modded stocker 1.9s in my Regal and noticed no difference between them (except the ZZP's were cheaper).

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

He's not going to be able to use an L67 PCM unless it's tuned for his transmission.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 AM

Right...I've been recommending he uses a tuned L36 PCM.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM

yeah, and thats what i'm planning on sticking with, i dont see the sense in spending more money than i have too.

and Enzo, when you say having the valves done over, how much would something like that run cause i thought about the same thing especially with the heads having 160K + miles on em

Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM

and my understanding is that i'll need injector connectors & the L67 wiring harness? but i won't need a different set of injectors.

Quick Reply: Top Swap setup questions