Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Top swap with Gen III or Gen V?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Default Top swap with Gen III or Gen V?

Now that I have my suspension buttoned up and paint being fixed on the 28th, I want to get some power under my belt. I am going to do the full top swap with the L67 heads but thinking I want to do a Gen V instead of a Gen III M90. Worth it or not worth it?

I am going to have my trans possibly rebuilt by this guy in Wisconsin to handle the power:

http://www.harmonperformancetransmissions.com/4T65E.html

Seemed like he had good prices and he is part of another forum I am part.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 06-20-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Pretty simple- did you ever plan to buy a ported blower in the future for more power? If so, I'd try finding a G5 off the bat because the performance of a stock G5 is similar to a ported G3- and it will save you shipping and new gaskets and such later on.

One thing to keep in mind with a G5 is you're going to need some kind of adapter for the TB since they came with electronic throttle bodies- so you can either get an adapter to run the (smaller) L67 TB or to run a N* or LS1 TB.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

I was going to run the North* and get the adapter from ZZP. I was thinking G5 because its the same as a G3 ported and I don't have to take it to get ported. I just have to make sure I have the L32 LIM right or mod a L67 LIM to fit. I have been looking on the Grandprix forum and waiting on a few guys for parts. I am thinking I am going to have to build my trans up too. What stage from the above link do you think is most worth it. I was thinking the middle stage should be fine considering I am not getting TOO crazy. YET lol

Another guy I am talking to about it actually bought his car with the G5 installed. He has now added a intercooler and sent me a few pix:

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...ine-Done-1.jpg

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...HE-Mounted.jpg

Pretty much what I am wanting to do. I am gonna hold off on the intercooler for right now though.

Last edited by Pure2sin; 06-21-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Are you really set on that Harmon place? I've never heard of them before- ZZP and tripleedge are more common names with our trannys.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 AM

i would definitely recommend a genV blower....to optimize your setup you *should* run the l32 intake, but it isnt 100% necessary...remember, the genV is more efficient, and you will need to run .2(ish) larger pulley than you would with a genIII you arent going to notice a HUGE difference in power between the two until you get into the highre power levels, then the difference will be pretty noticeable....i picked up 48WHP going from tog headers and a genIII to ZZP headers and a genV...i had a 2.7 pulley on my genIII and only a 3.0 on my genV

Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Are you really set on that Harmon place? I've never heard of them before- ZZP and tripleedge are more common names with our trannys.
Only reason I was going to go with him was because he is close. I could save a TON on shipping. The guys on this MNclubGP.com forum all say he does great work so I guess we will see.

I just found this on Ebay. Makes me wonder if I should just get the whole thing lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Last edited by Pure2sin; 06-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 AM

Gen V is more efficient. that is why people swap to it. remember, its sits on a l32 series III engine, l67s are series II.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

2k isnt a bad price for an engine with the tranny, and everything else youll need.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 AM

If you do, you can run the blower in the back of the stock on behalf of the Gen V swap and prevent TB L67. I will run the North Star-TB so that the match on behalf of the North Star V Channel tuberculosis. This is the easiest way. If you are running stock GenV swap Polaris is a problem the way to go.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM

Makes me wonder if I should just get the whole thing lol:
Depending on how far you are taking a supercharged setup, you have the potential to make a good bit more power with a top swap than you so with a full L67/L32 swap. The higher compression of the N/A bottom end really compensates for these inefficient roots style blowers.

Quick Reply: Top swap with Gen III or Gen V?