Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

TOO MUCH OIL - ENGINE DAMAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default TOO MUCH OIL - ENGINE DAMAGE?

Hi all,

Had my oil changed over to Mobile 1 in my 06 SS on Tuesday.
I purchase the oil and filter and had a local dealer change the oil and rotate the tires. Unfortunately, I bought 7 quarts of oil (I'd rather have too much than not enough) and the frickin mechanic put ALL 7 quarts in the car.

So, I drove around and took care of some business, then I took the car out to the freeway and blew out some of the carbon, if you know what I mean. Well, I got home and looked in the trunk to get the extra oil out of there, and there wasn't an extra quart there! So I called the dealer, they talked to the mechanic, and he confirmed he put all seven quarts in, even though it only calls for 6. SO, I took it back had them adjust the oil level, and had them give me a quart of oil to pay me back, and made them log this mistake into their system, which should cover me as far as problems.

My questions are, will this extra quart of oil cause damage to the engine, seals, gaskets, anything? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Default RE: TOO MUCH OIL - ENGINE DAMAGE?

[align=center]Hi `Mark,[/align][align=center]I don`t think one extra qt of oil should do any damage, but[/align][align=center]I would document the incident, and get a statement from[/align][align=center]the Service Manager of the incident.[/align][align=center]My grandfather said "Oil levels significantly above the full mark can cause oil foaming in the crankcase which could lead to the oil pump becoming vapor bound - loss of oil pressure.", but he[/align][align=center]really does not think it should have harmed you engine, unless[/align][align=center]you did several runs to max RPM`s.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It is sad that the incompetent mechanic did not know better,[/align][align=center]but oil change dealer personnel are usually the least trained @ [/align][align=center]a dealership : ([/align][align=center]I would also consider getting awritten/signed statement from [/align][align=center]the mechanic.[/align][align=center]Did you SS blow any smoke during the time it had the 1qt extra ?[/align][align=center]I would nottrust their logging it into their system. That can[/align][align=center]be deleted. If you can`t get written statements, ask for a copy[/align][align=center]of the incident that was inputed into their system.[/align][align=center]How many miles did you drive it with the overfill ?[/align][align=center]How many times did you get into the high Rev Zone? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mark, I hope that you don`t encounter any problems.[/align][align=center]Good Luck to you and your Awesome SS[/align][align=center]from `Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]ps. Mark I would check back on your posted thread, and see[/align][align=center]what other members with more mechanical experience may advise,[/align][align=center]and post. I`my just a wittle `kid : )[/align]

Old 09-04-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks, Space. I had it up into the higher RPM's maybe 3 or 4 times, and I put 50 miles on it. I didn't see any smoke, but then again I was looking for super troopers and the like, not looking out behind me. Also, I didn't notice any leaks when I was checking things out.

As for the documentation, I got a printout from them, with all the information, including the mechanics name. So even if they delete it, I have my copy, on the dealership letterhead.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Hi `Mark,
I was happy to read that you got a printout with the information.
Thanks for letting us know.
I would check the engine bay, and under your SS oftenfor any leaks, that may
develop.
I also hope that our other MCF members that read your post give their
opinions, and share their knowledge if they believe any harm could have been done.
Did the Mechanic look like a SpaceAlien ? lol
I even know not to put 7qts into a Monte : )
We hope that you do not encounter any problems with your Awesome SS
in your future. Oh, its great to read that you kick it down and enjoy the power : )
I know that I would 4-Sure : )
Good Luck from
the BeachBums & `Space

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM

You've got the 5.3 right? I'm not sure if the oil pan is the same as the LS1s, but don't some of those guys go 1/2 quart extra for road racing and such?

Thats not that much extra oil- I think the worst case like mentioned was having the oil level touching the bottom of the crank- but all the bubbles casued by that would be long gone by now.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM

I knew a guy who put 1 qt extra every oil change and he runs his vehicles up to 250,000 miles before he sells/trades. He hasn't had any problems.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM

yah watch out for foaming...if they offer to take out a quart do it

Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM

I have always changed my own oil,and in my 2006 SS,with 6 quarts and a new filter it isn't even up to the full mark.After running it a few minutes,I shut it off,let it sit a few more minutes,then check the oil level.It usually takes another half a quart to bring it right up to"full".So I don't think putting in 7 quarts is a problem,since I always end up putting in 6 1/2 anyway.Mad 717,did you pull the dipstick and check it after the dealer worked on it? Maybe your quart #7 wasn't even put in your car.It might have gone home with the service manager or wound up in the mechanic's car.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Yhe oil level was way past the top mark on the dipstick, so I would say the 7 quarts were all in there. They did adjust the level, and they replaced my quart of Mobile 1 with a new one, which is sitting in my garage right now.

The only reason I have the work done at the dealer is to maintain the warranty with proper documentation of everything done to the car. Oh, by the way, this was her second oil change, and she just went over 5,000 miles, so she's really not even properly broken in yet!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM

You don't have to go to the dealer to maintain the warranty, go to your trusted local
wrench, (NOT Jiffy Lube or the like), have him/her change the oil and filter, save your receipts with all the other ones for your car.
I buy my AC filter (only) at the local auto parts store and the Mobil One at Costco and the
wrench charges me a couple of bucks to change it, (I always check for the new filter when he's
done but I've got to trust him that he put in the Mobil One) or change it yourself, save the purchase receipts, save the oil filter box top with the filter # on it and write the date and mileage of the change on it.
The dealer can't require that you bring it to them for service (if they do, they must provide it for free, check it out). Remember to change the drain plug gasket (a couple of cents for extra protection).
but you have to document the services you do on your own, also write down the services done in the schedule portion of the owners/warranty service manual that came with the car. The manual also list all services required and when (time/mileage)

Aaron

Quick Reply: TOO MUCH OIL - ENGINE DAMAGE?