Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Too good to be true???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Too good to be true???

OK now I know this subject has been beaten to death about supercharging the 3400. I was roaming ebay and stumbled across 2 items that interested me.

Item number 1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adapt...item3f07847dd4

Number 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adapt...item3f071d6ca4

Now could it be possible that these adapter plates could be used with brackets on the 3400?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't quite understand, but it appears those adapters are for relocating (or locating) a supercharger under the hood so it doesn't need to attach to the manifold. This is fine on a RWD where you have a lot of extra room under the hood, but I don't think it would work with your 3400.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I don't quite understand, but it appears those adapters are for relocating (or locating) a supercharger under the hood so it doesn't need to attach to the manifold. This is fine on a RWD where you have a lot of extra room under the hood, but I don't think it would work with your 3400.
x2
you would have to find some way to attach the supercharger to your exsisting serpentine drive system... i just dont see how you could do that without drilling and tapping holes into your engine block (if you could find a place to put it in the first place).

Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Those are pretty interesting, and I think you could get either to work. Supercharging 3400's remotely has been done before:

The problem is- do you have the budget it would take to pull something like this off? You're going to need to buy an M62 or M90- used M90 would run maybe $200 or so in good shape, maybe a little less. Then add $250 for the adapter. Now, since the supercharger is going to have to sit over by the stock airbox location, obviously the stock drive snout won't work, so you'll have to buy a new snout with changeable shafts:

And also buy a longer drive snout to get the drive pulley over in line with the belt system. Then you'll have to rig up some kind of snout support due to the extreme length of the snout, so you don't have it flexing (maybe 2 if it gets long enough). Belt routing wouldn't be too terrible:

It looks like you could just have the belt come over the PS, then under the water pump like normal, but wrap extra around the water pump and have it come up and around your SC pulley, then down to the AC. The only problem you might have here is slippage on the AC compressor since you're going to lose at least 30* of belt wrap- but then you could just add an extra idler to the right of the idler above the crank pulley to bring the belt back where it was stock. If you decided not to run AC, or used an AC delete pulley to save weight- you wouldn't even have to mess with that.

You'll obviously need to make some mounts for the SC to hold it to the engine, and then run your ducting. Then you need to think about the throttle body- are you going to run your stock TB, or are you going to get rid of it, and run the TB ahead of the supercharger? If you don't run a TB in front of the SC, you'll have to think how you're going to adapt the inlet so you can put some tubing and an air filter on it- maybe use a stock L67 TB, and just remove the butterfly- or make a custom piece out of aluminum (depending how much room you have and how nice you want it to look.

Then you'll have to look into possibly getting new injectors- and also doing your pcm tuning.

Definitely going to be far from an easy job. It would be probably be easier to do a turbo setup since you wouldn't have to worry about belt alignment- heat from the manifolds damaging your blower and snout- or any of that stuff.

edit- also, if you notice in those pics, the snout is going to go right through where your stock upper dogbones are, so you'll have to find another way to mount the top of the engine to the car (or just build a different style of upper dogbone to clear the snout)- and you may also have to change your fan placement so it doesn't interfere either.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Didn't we miss Chad? Thank for laying that out in such a detailed way. In only a few moments, bumpin has this all mapped out! Obviously too complicated to make practical.

Your input and insight is infallible bumpin! Those were some cool pics tho...

Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 AM

agreed junior. Thanks for the input bumpin. Im just trying to suck some more power out of this thing without swapping motors. I dont want 300+ power. Id be happy with 230 to 250. But my motor has only 28000 miles on it so I dont want to tear it out!

Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Check out 60degreev6.com they like to build up the 3400, they may help you with some extra power.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Thanks, I ventured over there a few times and found what i would need to get the numbers i want. I just don't know if at this point i want to start pulling the motor apart. Maybe this will be a next winter project. This summer ill focus on looks.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM

the best way of charging a 60degree v6 is to go centrifugal super charger(vortex,rotrex,ect,ect)then you make custom piping intercooler if you want and all that good stuff.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:52 AM

what about a turbo system? is not cheap but its been done

Quick Reply: Too good to be true???