Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Ticking LS4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Default Ticking LS4?

Anyone with ticking LS4's? Found the REAL cure... Switch to Mobile 1 0W 30! If you are concerned about the manufacturers warranty, consider this; look in your owner's manual in the oil section. It SPECIFICALLY instructs those in colder climates to use 0W 30! In addition MOBILE 1 meets GM's oil spec that can be found in our manual.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's what I use Mobil 1 5W-30

Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 AM

hes talking about using a zero weight oil mel. yeah lsx motors are known for ticking. its not a huge deal and goes away once its up to temp.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:00 PM

F-Y-I
Technical Bulletin // Tick + Oil Pressure Starts
GM Service Bulletin
<o><o><o><o><o>

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo (VIN W) Service Manual | Document ID: 2065710
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4344: Short Duration Cold Start Lifter Tick Noise - keywords 5.3 6.0 cam engine L76 LC9 LFA LH6 LMG LS4 LY5 oil pressure start - (Feb 18, 2008)

Subject: Short Duration Cold Start Lifter Tick Noise

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2008 Chevrolet Impala

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Equipped with the 5.3 or 6.0 Active Fuel Management engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment on a cold start engine tick noise. The noise explained may be an extended duration noise related to AFM (Active Fuel Management) valve lifters. The noise may repeat on subsequent cold starts. Noise will be camshaft speed and may last over 1 minute. Noise will only occur after a cold soak that is greater than four hours in duration.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current SI diagnostic for any symptom or DTCs found. If an extended duration lifter tick noise has been verified (usually greater than 1 minute), and the noise is considered excessive and repeatable, lifter replacement may be required. To repair this concern all lifters should be replaced with lifters obtained through GMSPO. There is no special part number necessary.

Note: The 6.0L engine, RPO code LFA has been built with updated lifters since 1-28-2008. 6.0 LFA engines built prior to 1-28-2008 may need the lifters replaced if the customer concern is as described in this PI.

Note: If a cold start lifter tick noise has been verified on any other 5.3L or 6.0L AFM engine, lifter replacement may be necessary. These engines (L76 LC9 LH6 LMG LS4 LY5) do not have a build date released for updated lifters.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member

The Service Bulletin is for 2007 LS4's specifically; the 06's were not affected, (according to GM. As Stated, the 07 LS4 had defectifve lifters... But the 06 did not. Even after switching them out, you'll still have the tick. Its just what the motor does, until its warm, unless your using 0W 30 (Mobile 1). Used 5W 30 Mobile 1 and still got the tick. Now I can leave the car sitting for a week in the COLD and start it up without any ticks! Mobile 1 0W 30... Read your manual?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 AM

im sure that a zero weight oil would stop ticking on cold start up, but its not that big of an issue as to warrant buying all this oil, and changing it in the heart of winter. all to not be annoyed by lifter noise for a car that has a remote start and should be plenty warm and not ticking by the time you get to it. thanks for the info though perhaps next year before the cold weather ill switch weights.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Metal to metal = wear and unnecessary friction... What may not seem like a "big deal" now, may later become a "bigger deal"... (Likely, when there is no warranty). Word of advise, get the ticking documented with Chevrolet/GM; if engine parts fails, even out of warranty, you've got grounds to seek repairs that were documented while under warranty... which were yet not resolved. Then you can really enjoy your automatic start. Question, is your car really comfortably warm in 10 minutes? I know mine isn't... even when i engage the auto start twice, which is all that is allowed. Right?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Go "Old School"
Probe the Engine and pinpoint the noise.

A 4-foot length of Fiberglass Driveway Marking Rod will do the trick.
You can glue a Rubber Vacuum Port Plug onto one end for comfort.

Place the Rod onto the Engine and "Listen" to the Engine noises.
Most will be "Rotational", ... Normal engine noise.

If you detect so-called "Unusual" noises, ... Knocks, ticking and rumbling ... you can move the Probe and listen for the noise to be louder or diminished.
This, ... pinpointing ... will help you determine what's making the noise.

This simple technique will let you know if what you have is a Loose Valve that needs an adjustment or the Lifter on a recently adjusted Valve is sticking or defective.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 06LS4
Metal to metal = wear and unnecessary friction... What may not seem like a "big deal" now, may later become a "bigger deal"... (Likely, when there is no warranty). Word of advise, get the ticking documented with Chevrolet/GM; if engine parts fails, even out of warranty, you've got grounds to seek repairs that were documented while under warranty... which were yet not resolved. Then you can really enjoy your automatic start. Question, is your car really comfortably warm in 10 minutes? I know mine isn't... even when i engage the auto start twice, which is all that is allowed. Right?
my car is plenty warm after one start, and you are correct only twice is allowed. i actually have to take mine in cause after they replaced the remote start now the car wont shut off when remotely started if you hit the start button.

Originally Posted by RickCoMatic
Go "Old School"
Probe the Engine and pinpoint the noise.

A 4-foot length of Fiberglass Driveway Marking Rod will do the trick.
You can glue a Rubber Vacuum Port Plug onto one end for comfort.

Place the Rod onto the Engine and "Listen" to the Engine noises.
Most will be "Rotational", ... Normal engine noise.

If you detect so-called "Unusual" noises, ... Knocks, ticking and rumbling ... you can move the Probe and listen for the noise to be louder or diminished.
This, ... pinpointing ... will help you determine what's making the noise.

This simple technique will let you know if what you have is a Loose Valve that needs an adjustment or the Lifter on a recently adjusted Valve is sticking or defective.
i dont think in this case all that is necessary. lsx motors are known for lifter noise in cold weather. if it clears up once theres heat in the motor all is well. the ls4 has lifter issues with the dod lifters. theyve been known to collapse. if the noise gets extremely loud and continues when the motor is hot than its probably more serious than a lifter not pumping up. gm has put out new lifters to remedy this.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:19 PM

I've got the 06 SS Monte with the 5.3. Did and oil change and all of a sudden started to hear a lifter tick. Listened to it and I'm 99% sure that's it. I've put about 200 miles on it since I started hearing this and its gotten louder unfortunately I have no choice at this point but to drive it. I use Mobile 1 5w 30....Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Ticking LS4?