Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Thinking of Switching to Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Default Thinking of Switching to Synthetic

So I found out the recommended oil change interval on our 2004 SS Supercharged is 7500 miles (or when the oil change light comes on). It will take me 6 months or more to drive 7500 miles, so I was thinking I should change to synthetic because I really don't want conventional sitting in the engine for that long, but I want to go by the service interval. I had a few questions before I made the switch. Cost isn't an issue because it will actually cost the same if I do an oil change every 3000 miles with conventional every 3 months, or 1 with synthetic every 6 months/ 7500 miles. The car currently has roughly 45,000 miles and I will use ac delco filters when I do oil changes. It doesn't leak any oil

1. Is it ok to switch to synthetic after using conventional? I've always heard rumors that switching to synthetic will cause leaks. Is this true? I've never used synthetic in anything.

2. Other then the oil lasting longer, are there any other benefits to switching to synthetic? Are there any downsides other then it costing twice as much?

3. What brand is recommended and is the best bang for my buck?

Thank you for any help

Old 07-02-2009, 01:32 AM

This may help you get some answers.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...oil/index.html

Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM

that's the same arcticle I was gonna link

Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by vincenti
that's the same article I was gonna link
yea, its a good article.

The op does ask a good question that was not addressed in that article...

Originally Posted by labnjab
1. Is it ok to switch to synthetic after using conventional?
Has anyone, actually made the switch to synthetic? and if so, how many miles were on the vehicle when you made the switch?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM

I switched my 03 at about 38k. It just got its 3rd change on Mobil1 synthetic at 42k.

Mileage increased and NO problems. Atleast yet.

The car is a garage queen now, but will see regular duty in time.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM

got my car at 54xxx and put Royal purple in it at 54xx1 and i have never had a single drop of oil. Also i have never had my oil level drop since i did the change i now have just under 80xxx miles.

i am also just nuts when it comes to changing the oil. So i never go longer than 5K without changing the oil and filter.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Thank you for the link and information. Looks like I'll make the switch. Its the nicest care I've owned and I want to do anything to keep it that way.

So synthetic really does increase mileage? I always thought that was a marketing ploy. That makes it more worth it. I spend $30 a week on high test and that's just for half a tank so I'm all for anything that will give me a few more MPG's

Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM

sythetic has better lubrication properties than conventional so in theory it will give you better mpg. i don't think it's anything huge that you will notice, but i think along with a CAI and a free flowing exhaust, it will make a slight noticeable benefit in mpg.

i see you live in NH. i don't know if you will be driving your dale jr monte in the winter, but i drive mine in the winter with synthetic and it is a huge improvement over conventional as far as warming up and starting.

as far as bang for your buck, i've noticed Q horsepower at walmart as the cheapest. usually under $20 here in MN (for a 5qt jug). i currently use penzoil platinum which is only a couple bucks more, but will probably switch on the next oil change to Q horsepower.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 AM

I will be driving it in the winter. Winter mileage is what I need the most, lol. I've been doing pretty decent with mileage now, but winter mileage always sucks. I do about 50% hwy, 50% city driving and I've been averaging 22-23 MPG now and that's driving with a heavy right foot

Old 07-27-2009, 09:51 AM

i have been useing synthetic from day one with all the cars that i drive. i have two cars that are v8 the truck now my dad drives he has fun with it. but synthetic runs great in the cars expeccially in start up. when all the oil is in the bottom of the block gets to the top quicker than reg oil. pluse better mpg and lower rpms thats the bigest reason why i changed to synthetic.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Switching to Synthetic