Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

tb screen delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Default tb screen delete

is it a good or a bad idea?? opinions please!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Default RE: tb screen delete

i did it and really didn't notice anyhting at all but some people say it gives 3 more hp and some say that it makes the idel a little rough.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I'd rather loose the the hp and know my engine is safe.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Thats true If im gonna do all that i might as well upgrade the tb.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM

2000_black_ss the red strip that you put around your monte looks bad *** your the first if seen with it!!! Was it difficult to do im thinking of diong something like that too, but with white i dont know what color?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM

ok Solar slayer elaberate on this comment PLEase.

I have looked in to the T.B. spacer several times but ahvent done anythign yet.
Looking for somethign ANYTHING for better and quicker throttel response.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: monteman05

2000_black_ss the red strip that you put around your monte looks bad *** your the first if seen with it!!! Was it difficult to do im thinking of diong something like that too, but with white i dont know what color?
the red strip i bought the carwith it allready on thereand i have also never seen anybody else with a strip like mine. i now it is factory though because when my car got egged 2 years ago i got the spots painted and they had to order a new strip for my drivers side and it said on the bill that it was from a chevy dealership.but i bet you could go to a local vinyl place and see if they could make something for you.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

ok Solar slayer elaberate on this comment PLEase.

I have looked in to the T.B. spacer several times but ahvent done anythign yet.
Looking for somethign ANYTHING for better and quicker throttel response.
Not talking about the spacer, the screen in front of the throttle body.

It's a bad call. I've heard arguments both ways that it allow more free air and others that say it gets rid of turbulance and allows better breathing.

Personally, my cone filter came off once and the spacer saved me from getting grit into my engine. I think only a fool would remove it just on reliability reasons alone.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 AM

no , i was thinking it was the screen i just didnt say it correctly

Im looking for anythign to give better response on the T/B

as far as that screen gose it's only purpose in life is to straighten air flow out and to make it less turbulante in the T.B. But it dont do this this it actually restrics air flow some.

so the reason this mod came about was to get rid of the restriction. and also allow more nonturbulante air flow.

Now some cars tend to idel funny with out it in there and actually needthis to run correctly.
Mine actually idels worse with it in place and makes me have terribel throttel responce and also hinders fule millage.

So i guess im a fool i took mine out and threw it as far as i could to make sure it didnt get put back in.

After driving a while it can also plug up and cause this issue to get even worse.

take it out and put a good filter on it and make sure it is secure. i actually have to remove a bracket to get mine off. i made this to give support but also to make sure i didnt lose it . being that it is under the front bumper behind the head light i would never know if it came off unless i ran over it or happen to hear it hit. other then when i check oil etc... and look down to make sure it is still there.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

On a N/A 3.8 I'd leave it in. On a boosted car, as my L67 with mods, take it out. I personally have the ported 72mm ZZP TB with the screen removed. Wishing I had the Northstar TB. A larger TB will do more for throttle respose than removing the screen, but make sure you have a GOOD cold air intake AND the U-bend delete done FIRST.

Quick Reply: tb screen delete