Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Synthetic oil vs regular

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM

My dad has like 215,000 on his F150 and he expects to hit 300k with no problem! He attributes the use (from the very beginning) of synthetic to its long lasting life. It's an 04 or 5 I believe. Yes synthetic costs more, but with today's engineering advances, it is truly worth it.

But switching to synthetic after using standard won't have any significant effect if your car has a ton of miles on it. It won't work unless you start much earlier; maybe 50k?

Last edited by Dubstepticon; 06-14-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
The less a car is driven like that, the more the synthetic benefits the engine (since the car sees more periods of time just sitting).
I think i'll look into it more. Sounds pretty good.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
My dad has like 215,000 on his F150 and he expects to hit 300k with no problem! He attributes the use (from the very beginning) of synthetic to its long lasting life. It's an 04 or 5 I believe. Yes synthetic costs more, but with today's engineering advances, it is truly worth it.

But switching to synthetic after using standard won't have any significant effect if your car has a ton of miles on it. It won't work unless you start much earlier; maybe 50k?
I don't have ton of miles but its not low either. 78,200 right now. So still thinking about it. I can't say thats not impressive mileage with synthetic but I've also read of people who run the cheapest oil they can get (walmart brand like supertech or whatever) and go to 300k also. My guess is the engine would b in better shape though with the same mileage with the synthetic.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked into synthetic oils a few years back and these are the conclusions I came to utilizing the internet, mechanics and performance shop guys;

1) To use synthetic oil (if your car has always used organic) you MUST have the motor totally flushed, or will will not reap the full benefits and cost...

2) If you change your oil religiously between 3000 and 3500, save yourself the expense of synthetic and use any organic oil you want to including bulk, it makes no difference as your engine is fully protected at all times...

3) The performance shop I frequented had some serious builds and none of the guys (and I mean not one of them) used synthetic...

Conclusion, if you maintain your vehicle 100% to the letter, then save yourself those bucks and get modding...

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
I looked into synthetic oils a few years back and these are the conclusions I came to utilizing the internet, mechanics and performance shop guys;

1) To use synthetic oil (if your car has always used organic) you MUST have the motor totally flushed, or will will not reap the full benefits and cost...

2) If you change your oil religiously between 3000 and 3500, save yourself the expense of synthetic and use any organic oil you want to including bulk, it makes no difference as your engine is fully protected at all times...

3) The performance shop I frequented had some serious builds and none of the guys (and I mean not one of them) used synthetic...

Conclusion, if you maintain your vehicle 100% to the letter, then save yourself those bucks and get modding...
And this is why I haven't done it yet. Still taking in information! lol I change my oil and filter every 3k or earlier. With the Monte If I store it I will drain the oil before its even started when I pull it out. Last year my brand new oil had 1200 miles on it but I changed it because it'd sat. With my truck i changed the oil shortly after winter. I didnt have a good place to be to get at the filter so I couldnt get the filter changed, so I changed the oil and the filter after 2k instead of 3 since I was worried about the filter having 5k on it lol

Old 06-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I use mobile1 and have for the whole time I've owned my Monte.(2 years) I haven't had any problems yet. I usually get the oil on sale with a free filter. They have the deal a few times a year at the auto chain store's. Its usually a $12 filter or better, last time it was a mobile the time before it was a k&n

Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 AM

If you're planning on draining the oil when you store it, then it may not be worth it to go synthetic. We have enough nice days even during the winter where I can drive the Camaro, so I'll never store it (I'll have a garage for it in a few months anyway) and occasionally drive it during the winter. That's why I'll be going synthetic when I rebuild it. I want to be able to just randomly decide I want to drive it to work. And since the heat works really well, I can do that and not be uncomfortable. It's actually more uncomfortable during the summer (no AC) than during the winter. But since I work nights, it's not as bad. Only time I'll drain the fluids is when I deploy.

When I swap in the 6.0L in my truck I'll probably go synthetic as well and run longer in between oil changes.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I use mobile 1 synthetic in mine, runs like a champ

Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Hi Member's, I'm sure this debate could go on 4-ever , & we have some great Master-Debator's on the MCF

I just think everyone should do their homework & research & buy/use what they believe is best for their Monte Carlo's or the vehicles that they own...

Below Links are from the Web
  1. Car care: Myths vs. reality - Consumer Reports News

2. <CITE>news.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/.../car-care-myths-vs-reality.htm...</CITE>Cached
  3. – When it comes to maintaining your car, misconceptions abound. And even the best intentions can lead you to spend more money than ... Reality: Despite what oil companies and quick-lube shops often claim, it's usually not necessary. ... Reality: Most vehicles run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel.
  4. Synthetic or Conventional Oil: Which Is Better For You | Connecticut ...

<CITE>ctwatchdog.com/.../synthetic-or-conventional-oil-which-is-better-for-...</CITE>Cached

Jul 30, 2011 – Connecticut Consumer Advocate Protector Watchdog | Ct Consumer ... Synthetic oil is more expensive than conventional oil, but is it worth it? ... Although consistency is always the best way to keep a car running longer, ... Reliability Report: Lenovo Most Reliable, Acer Least Reliable, Apple Declined · Sirius ...

5. Making Sense of Synthetic Lubricants

<CITE>www.firstfives.org/faq/oil/oilartcl.html</CITE>Cached - Similar

Or more relevant, what is right for you? ... Consumer Reports (6/97) found very few differences between major brands of oil and all with the ... with synthetic oil in the crankcase and require synthetic oil use throughout the life of the car. There are two primary differences between synthetic oils and conventional petroleum oils.

6. Stop Changing Your Oil - Edmunds.com

<CITE>New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.comCar Maintenance</CITE>Cached

Aug 24, 2010 – Outdated oil change advice is foisted on car owners to keep them coming back. ... Dealer Ratings and Reviews · Read and Write Consumer Reviews ... marketing tactic that dealers use to get you into the service bay on a regular basis. ... shifting its fleet to 10000-mile oil change intervals using synthetic oil.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
    5 Year Member
    3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well I'm going to go off topic some but I'm going to try to answer the questions of "which is better, syntehtic or organic" "can you switch from one to the other" again....

Well I can tell you that the new Royal Purple HPS oil (which has more zinc additive for wear protection on flat tappet cams, why I run it in my Torino, oops, there I go off topic again) calls for up to a 12,000 mile/1 year drain interval. my point being, apparently synthetics do hold up a little bit better. However, no motor oil company is ever going to tell you to go beyond whatever the manufacturers owners manual says, it's not good business to go around claiming you know whats better for a GM engine than GM does, what's better for a Ford engine than Ford does, etc., etc.

But as far as the whole "whcih is better." Well, a true synthetic will give you better lubricating qualities and more consistency in your motor oil than an organic dino oil would. Since it is more consistent, it should be more durable. Synthetic oils have been around since the 1950s and 1960s, and even back then, they were like $25 a quart. Ridiculous!!! (especially when regular oil wasn't even a $1 a quart.) They have come a long way, they are lab tested, they are API approved, and if you still don't think they're as good as natural oil, or if you don't like paying the higher price for synthetic, drain it out and put organic oil in on your next change. There is nothing about these oils that won't mix wtih organic oils. That's a myth that I think was started by the organic oil companies to keep people from switching to synthetic.

My opinion... heck I run syntehtic in everything. All my engines, all my transmissions, my lawnmower, heck I even run synthetic rear end grease. Doesn't scare me a bit.

Sometimes local racers don't want to run synthetic just because there aren't many synthetic oils formulated for race cars taht aren't like $30 a quart even to this day... Royal Purple has a racing oil that is like $25.99 a quart, then you have to get it shipped.... Mobile 1 is on the same boat. Can't say I hold that against them for not running it. Especially when Valvoline VR1 racing oil is available for like $7 a quart at a lot of part stores. Plus, most racers want to switch oil after race just as a safety precaution.

Happy oil changing.... and don't spend too much time staring at the oil choices at the parts store

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil vs regular