Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharger for 03' SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

I can and will be scanning for KR. I'm hoping to be knock free since I'll be dropping a 3" downpipe on it and running the 4.2 pulley, but scanning is the only way to tell. Believe me, knowing what our pistons are made from makes me very cautious. Did you record any KR running the canned tune? I assume not if you were running that rich.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the 103s- I think I'll grab a set of 104s tonight on the way home. I was suspicious of the 103s anyway- I ran 104s in my Regal with decent results and was fine with 605s before that.

I will be doing the installation myself. Wish me luck.

Keep the input coming- I love hearing from people who have done it already. Thanks again.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you have other things to put on the car?

Front Powerlog will help with KR also. Like the Downpipe.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Owning my GSE I know all about the "supporting mods" people recommend for eliminating KR...I don't have a PLOG now, but it's a consideration down the road. At this point, I'm hoping that the downpipe, big pulley/low boost, colder plugs, and colder thermostat will help me get by- only one way to tell (scan) though.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM

15 Year Member

I just feel like while running a canned tune like that, it's better safe than sorry to have EVERYTHING possible.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you'll also wanna get a fuel pump rewire kit so you get some more voltage going to your pump. L36 stock wires are crappy and thin. install should take a while, but check your part when they come. mine had a bent supercharger bolt so it needed to be replaced, overall when the kit came shipped i was a little disappointed in the way they packed it, like the aluminum on the supercharger snout had a pretty big dent in it due to them packing the cast iron coil bracket on top of it and getting tossed around in shipping. also, check to make sure your gaskets are cool. mine had a few tears in it so be careful, dont want any vacuum leaks.
did you get their billet fuel rails?? i got a whole story on that one if you did haha.
what injectors are you gonna run?

also, remember these are used parts coming to you. your gonna wanna clean the carbon off the intake before install, because they appearantly dont like shipping clean products either. they just machine it and ship it as is. you would think for the money it would be otherwise.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Wow, I received my kit yesterday and I was pretty impressed with the fit/finish. I'm real suprised you're experience was so different- mine was nicely packed, everything very clean/nice etc.

Did you go right to the 3.8 pulley, or start on the 4.2? If you started on the 4.2, did you need to do the FP re-wire right away?

I did get the billet fuel rails. Their attachment looks pretty weird- I'm guessing you had some problems?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
I'm guessing you had some problems?
Only if you consider a fuel leak which almost ended up in a total flame explosion a problem... but I'll let Matt tell his tale :P

Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

I went right to the 3.8 pulley. i had tons of fun with the fuel rails. so much fun, i almost got a new car!

remember, these fuel logs stand right on top of a standing straight up injector. your injector CLIPS NEED TO BE INSTALLED. zzp does NOT send you new injector clips, so you have to use your old ones off your old L36 rails. do not forget these. where the injector sits in the fuel rail still has a wierd fit, and also the clamps that bolt the rails down have a horrible bend to them, its way off. what my mechanics did after my insane gas leak/ near death experience/ near new car experience was they actually cut the clamps and bolted them down and instead of bolting them where they would normally bolt, he modified it and made them to bolt down under the intake manifold bolts. much better and tighter, they dont wiggle around, and i feel VERY safe now haha.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

Only if you consider a fuel leak which almost ended up in a total flame explosion a problem... but I'll let Matt tell his tale :P
Ahhh blacksheep, leave all the fun for me to have huh??? You need a fun story to tell now haha.

the only cool thing about that story was that my mechanics closed their shop and came over to where my car was to see if they could fix it, and even modified the clamps for free. they already had my business for doing such a great job, but they got it for life now. 2 brothers own this shop, and they are the only people that work their. great job and props to them.

i think i might have some pics of how they did the fuel rails, if i can find them i'll post them up.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

for future searchee's, the new NGK plugs did not eliminate the cold start issue's altogether, but it did stop my misfires by a lot during cold startup. used to see around 40, now only see a number under 10 before the counter resets.

edit: been 2 days, which equals 2 cold starts. both have been fine no loopy idle. maybe it did go away with the new plugs. i also swapped out my coil packs to MSD yesterday too. give them a shot see what happens. the most my idle loops is maybe 2 or 300 rpm, not major at all considering it used to virtually stall out.

Last edited by 2003supersport; 08-09-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger for 03' SS