Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Supercharged 04' Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Supercharged 04' Spark Plugs

Hey everyone!
I love this forum. I was in here long before I bought my own Monte. I only knew what I wanted. It's a great forum. This is my first post. I've found some other places that address this question. However, I wanted to hear what some people recommend. I have an 04' SS Supercharged with a 3.25". I've looked at the spark plugs and they need to go. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/D60BCF0E0D014E5FB4402B30C932D6EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Default RE: Supercharged 04' Spark Plugs

Hey, welcome to MCF!

I would go with whatever you are currently running...

Also, check the gap with a gap tool, and stay that way..

If you are running a 3.25 knock free, you wanna keep the same setup you currently have... So make sure you gap them correctly..

For your setup, you might wanna consider Autolite 104's, as alot of guys with your type of setup are using the 104's....

Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM

Hello `Chris, & Welcome to the MCF
Look forward to your future posts & input to the forum.
[:-]You have a beautiful looking SuperCharged Monte Carlo [:-]
Wow, that's a great looking Monte Carlo SS
Safe/Happy/Fun/Fast miles to you.
`Space

Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM

that is quite a beautiful car...congrats on your purchase

Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just switched to NGK Iridium plugs, 2 sizes colder. They come with NGK from the factory. These were the recommended plugs for longer life, by ZZ Performance at my visit there 2 weeks ago. I just bought a 3.4" pulley.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: 360spence13

Hey everyone!
I love this forum. I was in here long before I bought my own Monte. I only knew what I wanted. It's a great forum. This is my first post. I've found some other places that address this question. However, I wanted to hear what some people recommend. I have an 04' SS Supercharged with a 3.25". I've looked at the spark plugs and they need to go. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/D60BCF0E0D014E5FB4402B30C932D6EE.jpg[/IMG]
First I would recommend that you list the mods you have done to support that pulley so you don't blow your engine. You are going to want Autolite 104's gapped at 0.050

I don't want to be patronizing, but this is one of the very first mods that should be done BEFORE you goto a 3.25 pulley. You really risk blowing the engine if you haven't done this yet and I'm concerned about you pocket book here.

Other than the sparkplug, to even run a 3.4" you should have at the minimum: CAI, U-Bend delete, 180* Tstat, 3"downpipe with hiflow / no cat.

To goto 3.25 you should also have PEMS or headers for exhaust, rockers or cam, or intercooler, and also an upgraded Throttle Body. Once again, anything less than this you are SERIOUSLY risking your engine.

If you haven't done this, the first thing you should do is pull that pulley off and put the stock one back on. I am not BS'ing. These engines are way to easy to blow and the pistons chip easily - there are even reports out there of this occuring on stock pistons if they run on bad gas.

Go out and get a scanner of some kind as well to make sure you aren't running into problems: LS1M, DHP, or HP Tuners.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 PM

I got the Autolite 104's gapped at .052. I purchased this car with the 3.25" pulley. It had it on for about a month. The car has a K&N CAI. After doing a lot of reading. I think that you're right. However, I think that I'm going to go to the 3.4" pulley. I'm going to do the 180* T-Stat this week. I can't do that the downgrade for a few weeks. I'll just have to take it easy. I want to get an HP Tuner to be safe. My plans are, within the next several months, to put on the following mods. 04 Intimidator,you'll have to let me know what you think. I know that you've gone through a lot. These will all be after I get the HP Tuner.I'll be getting a custom exhaust done here at a shop, among it will be the 3" downpipe w/ hi-flow cats and u-bend delete. I'll be getting a larger throttle body. I'll be placing an aftermarket manifold on. I don't think that I'd need headers, unless I had a 3" pulley. I would think that I would be losing power. Not sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Then, I would be placing an intercooler. I wouldn't go less than a 3.25" pulley. This is my daily driver. Hook me up with any input you might have. Also, these are mods that I want to do but haven't selected specific brands or anything. What do you all recommend?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Get headers. Alot will disagree, but it will significantly help reduce KR.

Intercooler... go with ZZ Performance SS Intercooler, or you could go full size, but be careful of clearance issues with your hood...

Before you consider dropping ANYTHING into that engine, do as Dan suggested. Tuner. And scan. A good tune will help add horsepower... along with reduce KR.

Everything he said is dead on. Change your pulley size to stock until you can tune and figure out what's going on with your engine. I have bets that you're running lotsa KR, and your previous vehicle's owner put that pulley on without knowing much about engines...

-Keegan

Old 10-29-2007, 04:45 PM

If there isn't already these mods or better in place on top of the intake:
2 step colder plugs
180*T
3"DP, no res, u-bend removed
Custom PCM tune
rockers, PEMS or headers

Your engine is in serious trouble... you may already have melted pistons, or they are midly chipped. It's amazing how a little KR over time can do to a L67 block, especially when beaten on repeatedly.

Get scanned NOW. Don't waste anytime. Go on mymonte.com, or clubgp.com, and find out if there's any members in the area who would be willing to scan to see if you have KR.

Get some 94 octane in there asap, and don't stab the throttle, or go more than 50% throttle.

Take it from me.... I've gone through piston hell before. I just rebuilt over last winter, and got back up and running this summer. I completely blew #1 piston, and all that was left was a connecting rod, and one piece of the piston stuck behind it. The rest of the bits were up in in the manifold, and down in the oil pan. LOL

Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Would a compression test show me whether or not I've chipped or melted a piston?

Quick Reply: Supercharged 04' Spark Plugs