Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

super charge my 04 LS monte 3400

Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
3 Year Member
Default super charge my 04 LS monte 3400

I wanna supercharge my Monte, or turbo idk? this all depends on the perks of eAch, i find the fact that i'm told a super charger will increase my fuel econemy a substantial amount appealing. also, the bad *** factor, power and just pure sexy very appealing.

what i want to do is -

supercharge
CAI
new dual exoust.

i'm told i could see up to 100-120 hp increase just from the super charger? but this could be smoke being blown up my *** by my friend, i'm understanding i could see as much as 15 hp from the CAI, and idk what i'd gain from a more effician exaouse besides a really sexy sounding car but let me know what you guys think i should do, ive ebay'd searched some things, ive seen these used grand prix stock superchargers claiming to be boltable to the 3400 monte ls engine for like 300$, i'm also seeing these "new old" ones around 500$ or the high end ones around 700-900$ from vortech, but i honestly am a noob when it comes to cars my buddys going over some stuff.

i think i could pretty much do all of these upgrades (with assistance from my buddy) with out to much hassle, especialy if i go with a bolt on head style as aposed to the ones i see from like vortech which mount to the side and tie into the head. or do they bolt on? idk they look like they bolt off to the side, my buddy said they do, but i have NOOOOOOOOO IDEA lol i'm really quite an engine noob, ask me anything about car audio i'm g2g but engine...aside from installing an alternator and wiring it up i'm

so thoughts, ideas?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
3 Year Member

heres an exoust my buddy tells me is REALLY great

Borla Cat-Back System 00-05 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 3.4L/3.8L V6 FWD AT/MT 2DR (inc. SS) - Part Number: 14903 - Sparktec Motorsports

but thats a bit on the pricy side. what other options do i have? this one claims up to 2.5 mpg more my buddy says, on top of the 3-4 i'm supposed to get from a super charger, plus another 15 hp on top of that 100-125 hp i would get from a super charger.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its not going to be easy finding a supercharger for your 3.4, at all. Turbo is ok but there arent too many mods available to get the 3.4 to bolt on a turbo.

If you want supercharged, I suggest doing an l32 swap. Thats the supercharged engine from the newer grand prixs, that makes a bit more hp then the l67 (that actually came in montes)
You will need
Engine
Wiring Harness
Tuned PCM
A way to make the throttle work
A transmission, the one now wont hold up.

IF you go the turbo route.
You can make more horsepower then a supercharged set up, but I dont know how easy it is on a 3.4. You may be better off swapping in a 3800 and then doing a turbo on that.

You will need
Turbo kit
Engine (depends which way you go)
Transmission, once again it wont hold up

You wont get any more gas mileage from either swap, and worse once you get into the throttle, but thats because you will use more fuel.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM
3 Year Member

what about Centrifugal style superchargers? woudln't that be a viable solution, i mean I'd like to avoid turbo because it's laggy and i'd need to run an oil line, and an inner cooler would be needed and exaust head change out, just seems like a massive pain in my ***, and a even larger dent in my wallet lol supposedly their cheaper, but i have the feeling that labor would be over my head and would rip just as deep into my pocket, when a super charger seems a bit easiler, safer and such. i mean i'm reading all this stuff about them backfiring, or they could make your engine explode if they don't function properly.

whats this about trany swapping though, that seems like a bit much :\ i'm just looking for a bit more power i'm not gonna be running this down the strip or nothing, just to toy around town.

I looked up some grand prix super chargers, i didn't see much, i also looked for that spacific engine super charger you spoke of, i only saw pully systems :\ i'll google that up in a min.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:11 AM

centrifugal super charger still runs on a belt, and is going to require some type of remote setup that youll have to fabricate, find, or have made. a tranny build up isnt absolutely necessary, but trans failure is probable. youre not talking about just a bit more power youre talking about a huge power increase. like 50% and up. i think the easiest route to go would be to turbo it, swap to an L67, or sell yours and buy a wbody with a L67 in it. they are readily available, and reasonable priced.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
3 Year Member

yeah i suppose, i just don't know if it's possible in my situation, not to mention the countless hours i already have into my car in audio work, some of which to revert to stock would require new parts.

they do make centrifugal superchargers with kits though, so their shouldn't be MUCH fabricating as far as i know. but ive never even tried such a thing i wouldn't know. it would probably be easier to just drop in a whole new engine with a super charger or turbo. the suspension isn't to different is it? :-s i didn't realise they used such a weak transmision, i guess thats why people have so many problems, they don't listen to these warnings, and drop some HP on the car and just blow em up. ive heard some BADDDD storys about montes, the only reason i got it is because when i took it for a test drive it was just such a fun car to drive.

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 05-19-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM
3 Year Member

ahh wow, I wish i had funds right now to attempt a switch like this lol i just found a l67 with about the same millage as my car for 3600$ but than we're talking another 1200$ for a tranny, plus labor, i mean i would do what i could, i might even be able to find a buddy to do it with but damn man, that would be so inpractical lol

3.8l L67 Series II Supercharged Engine w/ 4t65e-hd 48k | eBay

edit :
oh damn that is with a tranny! :O that's not bad at all. i know it's not practical at all, but i would still just love the challenge of it all XD i how ever don't know if that's manual or automatic? i didn't see anything in details, i guess if your bidding on an engine you know what you're getting into tehe. probobly manual though aren't most ss's manual ?

Last edited by walkingonabullet; 05-19-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM

no wbodies are manual at least from the factory. at the point youre looking at a drivetrain swap i think you have to ask yourself the ever important question. why? the cars were available with the drivetrain you want. i can understand 350 and larger swaps into 4 gens, but a l67 or ls4 swap into a 6/7th gen is silly. no one ever takes into consideration the man hours involved in something like this. when i work i get paid to do it. so doing a complete drivetrain swap that can take you god only knows how many hours times your hourly rate, and cost of said drivetrain would give you a more true total cost.
case and point >Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay
now i know what you're going to say. those aren't monte carlos, and you're right they're better. they're 2dr gtps. red interior lights, hud, nicer interior, and lets not forget the blower. the 04/05 scss is pricey like 11/12 at that point you might as well get an ls4 car for 14. these were just examples of what i would do in your situation. i would sell my car take the 2/3g you can get for it take the 3/4g i was going to put in it and get a wbody with decent mileage that has the drivetrain in it al ready. no work involved, no questioning where the motor came from. with the time you would have spent doing the swap you can get a job so you can afford to buy one thats done.
if you're still wanting to try your hand at doing it the hard way. than you might be better off going to the junkyard, and find a l67 car thats hit in the rear, and buy the whole car. it would probably cost just the same if not less than buying the drivetrain. then you'll have the whole car in front of you to see how everything goes. from there you can swap everything interiors, wheels, trans,exhaust, and motor. just some stuff to think about good luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hit the nail on the head man. The thing is, if you really want to keep the car, I would find the junk yard motor, or look around on craigslist. The motors and HD trannies come up a lot, and the swap isnt terrible, especially if you have acces to a lift. If you dont, you can still do work lol.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
no wbodies are manual at least from the factory. at the point youre looking at a drivetrain swap i think you have to ask yourself the ever important question. why? the cars were available with the drivetrain you want. i can understand 350 and larger swaps into 4 gens, but a l67 or ls4 swap into a 6/7th gen is silly. no one ever takes into consideration the man hours involved in something like this. when i work i get paid to do it. so doing a complete drivetrain swap that can take you god only knows how many hours times your hourly rate, and cost of said drivetrain would give you a more true total cost.
case and point >Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay Pontiac : Grand Prix | eBay
now i know what you're going to say. those aren't monte carlos, and you're right they're better. they're 2dr gtps. red interior lights, hud, nicer interior, and lets not forget the blower. the 04/05 scss is pricey like 11/12 at that point you might as well get an ls4 car for 14. these were just examples of what i would do in your situation. i would sell my car take the 2/3g you can get for it take the 3/4g i was going to put in it and get a wbody with decent mileage that has the drivetrain in it al ready. no work involved, no questioning where the motor came from. with the time you would have spent doing the swap you can get a job so you can afford to buy one thats done.
if you're still wanting to try your hand at doing it the hard way. than you might be better off going to the junkyard, and find a l67 car thats hit in the rear, and buy the whole car. it would probably cost just the same if not less than buying the drivetrain. then you'll have the whole car in front of you to see how everything goes. from there you can swap everything interiors, wheels, trans,exhaust, and motor. just some stuff to think about good luck.
I completly agree, it would be a waste, but i think it would be just fun and challanging to do such a thing my self under the guidence and toutalage of somebody, i'm honestly not putting any seriouse plans into this as i'm flat *** broke even if i wanted to but I Like to tinker in my mind and its always good to descuss with your peers ideas and thoughts ^_^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: super charge my 04 LS monte 3400