Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

this sucks

Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Photobucket
Default this sucks

well for some reason when the weather is bad my car doesnt run for crap, hesistates, hard to start, no power ect... heck today it was raining and real humid here and after i finally got it started i went out and i couldnt even spin tires on wet pavement. but when its dry and the weather aint bad i can burn then down to the ground, it doesnt make sense to me. has anyone else ever had this problem? i plan to rebuild the top of the engine this weekend, and do a complete check to find out whats going on

anyone have any ideas before i get into this?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Default RE: this sucks

could be anything from fuel to fuel filter to electrical to engine. weird it only does it in crappy weather but your guess is as good as mine.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 AM

[align=center]`Chris,[/align][align=center]BAD MAF ? ? ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[hr]

Ford airflow sensor
The Air Flow Sensor or Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is one of the components of an electronic fuel injection system and is found in many of modern vehicles. The Mass Air Flow sensor is usually installed inside the intake air duct between the air filter and the engine. The Mass Air Flow sensor is used to measure the amount of air entering the engine. This measurement is used by the engine computer or ECM to calculate proper amount of fuel injected into the cylinders in order to provide optimum combustion and low emissions.
Problems with Mass Air Flow sensors are common. Bad or contaminated Mass Air Flow sensor can possibly cause a wide range of various vehicle driveability problems such as stalling, especially when the engine is cold, misfiring, poor acceleration, etc.
In addition, a problem with the Mass Air Flow sensor often causes the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light in the vehicle instrument panel to illuminate.
The "check engine" or "service engine soon" light comes on when the engine computer detects some fault in one of the components of the emission control system.
Learn more what is behind the "check engine" or "service engine soon" light, follow this link:

[hr]

[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 AM

Check Engine, Service Engine Soon light, OBD II engine trouble codes

Why my Check Engine light comes on?

The engine computer or ECM[/align]All modern vehicles have a computer or the ECM (Electronic Control Module) that controls the operation of the vehicle powertrain (the engine and transmission). The main purpose of this is to keep the engine running at top efficiency with the lowest possible emissions. With constantly growing demands for better fuel economy and new strictest emission regulations it's not very easy to achieve. The engine parameters need to be constantly and precisely adjusted according to various conditions such as speed, load, engine temperature, gasoline quality, ambient air temperature, road conditions, etc. That's why today's cars have much more electronics than in early days - there is a large number of various sensors and other electronic devices that help the vehicle computer or ECM to precisely control the engine and transmission operation and monitor emissions.
The vehicle computer system has self-testing capability. When the computer senses that there is a problem with some of the components it stores the correspondent trouble code(s) in its memory and lights up the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light to tell you that there is a problem and your car needs to be looked at. To properly diagnose what is wrong, you need to take your car to a mechanic or a dealer. The technician at the dealership or a garage will then hook up the scanner to the car computer and retrieve the stored trouble code(s). Then he (she) will look it up in the service manual provided by a car manufacturer. The service manual contains the list of possible codes (about few hundreds) and describes what each code means and what needs to be tested. The code itself doesn't tell exactly what component is defective - it only indicates where to look, what engine parameter is out of normal range. The technician will have to perform further testing to pinpoint a defective part.

[align=center]
[hr]
[/align]

Old 10-20-2007, 11:04 AM

MAF would be my guess.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can check the MAP but my guess is bad plug wires, or the dist cap and rotor. (not sure if the '95-99 Montes have one or the coil packs?)

But I know when my g/f's '81 Monte wouldn't start one day and we'd had some rain it was the dist cap. A new cap & rotor and the car ran like it should.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 PM

I am not sure but could it be your cars air to fuel ratio is off so when it is humid out it bogs down your engine.

I say humid because you say it only happens when it is bad weather rainy/humid

Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 AM

it sounds lik something electrical, i would tear down your engine for this problem..

Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM

i meant wouldnt...sorry

Old 10-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: blazerman3

MAF would be my guess.
I'll continue to agree about the MAF. I had a similar problem on my Ford Ranger truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: this sucks