Stock 3800 downpipe U bend cutaway pics - Page 3 - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My SSAC headers seemed to give me a bit of power, better low end mainly, or its just ment. Sounds beastly too.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

now whats that crossover pipe for?? do you still have that if you have aftermarket headers?? whats the difficulty level on installing aftermarket headers??
and a question for enzo354 what motor do you have??
Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
5 Year Member

Quote:
now whats that crossover pipe for?? do you still have that if you have aftermarket headers??
A crossover pipe brings the exhaust from the front 3 cylinders and dumps it either into the rear header- or into a Y collector with the other branch coming from the rear 3 cylinders.

Obviously you still have to use it with aftermarket headers- where else are you going to run the exhaust from the front 3 cylinders?

Quote:
whats the difficulty level on installing aftermarket headers??
It can be a real pain- its somewhat of a struggle getting the new headers in position- and depending on the headers- each style seems to have its own stumbling blocks and problems (for example- the pacesetter headers for the 3800's having a leakage issue and needing welded on the Y collector).
Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member

oh okay thanks, but what if i decide to go the route of true duals?? will i still need to use the cross over pipe?? no right?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member

You can't go true duals on a sideways motor with no room to run any piping.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member

Quote:
oh okay thanks, but what if i decide to go the route of true duals?? will i still need to use the cross over pipe?? no right?
Well, yeah- you still do need some sort of cross over pipe- you still need some way to get the front 3 cylinders over the transmission and to your downpipe area.

It kinda depends how your headers are designed though- for example, the pacesetter headers for the 3800 runs each bank of cylinders into a single tube- and then combines the two front and rear tubes in a Y in the downpipe area. Thats why people tend to use those headers for doing true duals, because they alreay have two separate pipes halfway down the downpipe area- so all you need are two custom shorty downpipes, and then the rest of the exhaust which any exhaust shop could do.

However, I really don't recommend true duals- you add a ton of extra weight for no power gain- especially on a nearly stock car. You can still go much bigger than stock on a single exhaust (I mean heck, they make up to 4" single exhaust tubing and components) than your engine would ever need- I mean the Supra guys are doing 1000whp on single 4" exhaust with a 6 cylinder.

Quote:
You can't go true duals on a sideways motor with no room to run any piping.
You can, and it has been done. I've seen at least 3 people with true dual wbodys posted on the various forums.

The only thing is- I haven't seen any that had cat's- so it would be hard to do in an emissions testing area. Two of the setups I saw were rear outlet with just mufflers at the rear- the other one was side exhaust- forget what he did for mufflers.

The thing is, doing a true dual you can go much smaller on the piping size. Obviously some pipe hangs down below the floor board- but so do all people with side pipes, people with cutouts, etc etc. I mean there are people that daily drive with side pipes on wbodys- and the whole pipe is hanging below the floor pan and is running almost perpendicular to any objects in the roadway that may hit it.

I really always have dreamed of doing true duals on my GXP- just so it doesn't sound like a truck through the single exhaust.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Default downpipe

the down pipe has 2 tubes. does the exhaust only go through the center? or both?

Last edited by monte88; 06-23-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
5 Year Member

It's double-walled for toughness, the center pipe is the only thing the exhaust goes through.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

Wow, back from the dead thread huh?

I'd also bet part of the reason for the double wall is to help keep the heat down a bit being right next to/under the firewall.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 AM

well that good because i just welded the out side one together when i put the strait pipe in