Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Starting problem after installing a new thermostat & gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Default Starting problem after installing a new thermostat & gasket

I replaced my thermostat today on my 84 3.8 along with a new gasket. Connected everything back up and it started right up but noticed a bunch of fluid was pouring out around the housing so I immediately shut it off. After I got most of the coolant cleaned up I then drained the radiator again, moved the fuel line and tightened the thermostat housing bolts, refilled the radiator I tried starting again to see if it was still leaking around the housing but it wouldn't turn over. I checked every connection but cant figure out what could be causing it to not start. Does anyone have any suggestions? It has been running perfect and I thought this was going to be an easy job but it is slowly turning into a nightmare. Been trying to figure out the problem for the last couple of hours. Could the leak have caused damage to the starter? Could there be a short somewhere? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!