Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Sound fishy to you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sound fishy to you?

Alright, so some of you may remember that early this summer I took my car in (while still under warranty) to have the LS4 oil consumption problem looked at. About a month ago, we finished the test and it came back that after 1,000 miles, it had used 1 1/2 qt. of oil, which was alot more than I thought it was using, but whatever. parts/labor are all covered under the power-train warranty so I'm not freaking out too bad since it'll all get fixed for free, non-the-less by a gm certified garage. They said they'd let me know when the parts come in and give me a call to set up a time to get it worked on since it's a 3 day project.

--Anyways--

My battery has been in the process of dieing for a while now, so 2 days ago I went and found a new battery (which isn't as easy as it should have been. . . went to 5 different places before i found someone that had the right one), and got to thinking about the oil problem. Since it'd been a month since I took it to the garage, I called and talked to the service mechanic to see what's going on. He said that GM has a new "fix" for the problem and they're waiting to get more info about it.

To me, this sounds like something a dealership tells their customer to get them to leave them alone until
a) i forget about the problem and go on with my life, or
b) they are slowed down enough to be able to deal with it

From being on MCF, I'd have to say i feel pretty "in-the-know" about what's going on with our cars and I haven't heard anything through the grapevine about a "new" fix, only that it was being documented as a problem and there was a new TSB out about it.

Anyone got any opinions about what's going on with this?

Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/search/?year=107&make=16&model=302 <~ link to 06 monte carlo tsb's

i see no new one's since may, unless for some reason it hasn't been outed to the public, i honestly would ask them to produce this tsb so you can see for youself

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/10/061007jw.html can't see any details in this link

Last edited by Budsjlm; 10-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i heard awhile back that they were coming up with something new....but that was like in april. so i would think they would have it out by now

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM

i should . . . between not knowing about a "new" fix for it and the fact that they never called and told me what's going on, it just feels kinda weird.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Of course they're yanking your chain. Call them in a couple days and act like you never talked to anyone about it and see what they tell you. Unless it's the same guy that talked to you before, you'll get a completely different answer. If all else fails, go in and tell them to hurry up or else you'll find someone else to give your money to.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

that's just it. . . since I got it in before the warranty was up, it's being paid for by GM. I took it to that shop to run the oil consumption test, can i take it to a different shop to get worked on or does it gotta stay at the same shop for all the work?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i would call occasionally and just wait it out. they will have to fix it at some point since it is on record that you brought it in before the warranty was up

Old 10-15-2011, 03:12 PM

If they keep jerking u around call gm, I would hope they would stick up for you and have some leverage over the dealership.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 AM

**UPDATE**

Called the dealership for probably the 4th time since I took my monte in initially, and it's finally getting fixed. They said they'd gotten an answer on the 28th of nov., he's ordering the correct gaskets/parts, and will be in contact within a week to set up a time to get her in.

This'll be nice, because i've been finding diablo tuners on craigslist for as little as $100, which means as soon as it's fixed, i can tune it to run on all 8 all the time, and not have to deal with this problem again (in case the fix doesn't take care of the problem). (this also gives me a good excuse to EVENTUALLY get it diablew tuned :p)

Old 12-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Glad there gonna finally fix it, does the 07 have the same issue?

Quick Reply: Sound fishy to you?