Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Default snow performance

i was putzing around online today and found this
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=7
anyone know if these are safe to run on stock internals? stock motor?

also found these
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=3
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=5

Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM

i was putzing around online today and found this
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=7
anyone know if these are safe to run on stock internals? stock motor?
Thats just a basic methanol / alky injection kit- like the devilsown kits. To be able to use it, you have to have some need for higher octane fuel (be it a boosted car, or a really high compression NA engine).

Given the mods in your sig, I assume you're not boosted- so this would be a waste of time for you. You could still go up to 89 or 92/93 octane fuel.

Sure it will cool your intake air a little bit, providing a tiny increase in horsepower- but for almost $500, you're not going to get hardly any power out of it. It would have the same effect as that CRYO2 intake bulb you said you had; maybe being just a pinch more effective- but in the end, its still a ton of money for very very little power gain.

The other stuff is just additives and sprays to run in the kits. Never seen nitromethane injected via one of those kits, nor do I know how well it would perform. IMO, I'd personally rather just stick a real nitrous bottle on the car and be done with it.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Never heard of methanol injection being used on a non-boosted setup.
Can't really see where it would be of any use. Even if you were running insanely high compression, you'd still need a higher octane fuel full time so having a part time spray won't help much.
If you look at the dyno charts they have posted, three of those examples are on factory boosted cars. The '93 cobra chart has a note that it's using a 17psi procharger, and the 426 hemi.....at 600hp I doubt that it's running n/a.

If you spray meth/water mix after a turbo (or supercharger), it's going to cool the pressurized air a good bit as the hot air will vaporize the liquid (nerdy link about it). Spraying meth/water into air at ambient temperature on an n/a setup is not going to do much of anything as the air isn't going to be (or get) hot enough to even vaporize the liquid.

I agree that if you want to spray something into the intake for a power boost that nitrous is going to be the way to go.

Also, "Boost Juice" is winshield washer fluid with a different color dye.
As far as the nitromethane additive, people have tried using different octane boosters (like the torco stuff) in methanol injection setups and had a lot of problems with it not being miscible in water and also with it destroying the internals of their pumps. The nitro methane bottle they sell says it has emulsifiers in it to help it mix with water and I'd assume that they wouldn't sell something that would destroy their pumps, but I'd still have my doubts as to whether or not it would be effective at all.

-Riggs.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Even if you were running insanely high compression, you'd still need a higher octane fuel full time so having a part time spray won't help much.
I imagine you could rig some electronics up reading off the MAP sensor to only spray under high load (ie under a certain vac amount)- but my problem with that is, what if something goes wrong (ie pump fails, line pops off, etc)- or you run out of your spray? Then if you floor your car, you could destroy it, and probably not even have a clue that it wasn't working right? Just doesn't sound like a great idea.