Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

slight "crunch" in shifting

Old 03-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Default slight "crunch" in shifting

I have been having a slight problem when shifting from park to reverse to drive. When ever I change, I hear a slight crunching sound. What might that be from? I have to turn my air and radio off to hear it.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you serviced your transmission lately? If not I would trying servicing it and see what that does for you.

Mine was making a very light noise (you had to have the window down, and really listen for it). I brought it to the dealers attention, and they said it was a normal sound when the transmission engaged, the dealer recommended a fluid change (which I did myself). Sure enough the problem went away after I changed my ATF and filter.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM

i looked at prices for trans fluid change and filter... like 170 bucks not including tax.. What products should i use if I were to do it on my own? and is it hard? 2000 ls MC.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Its not hard, just takes a little time and its messy. Just so you know if you get the filter it usually doesn't come with a new tranny pan gasket so you either check to see if it comes with one or pick one up. It is common to reuse the gasket but why chance it and get leaks. Also, think about where you want the fluid to go when you start to loosen the pan; like drop one side and just slightly loosen the other so you can kind of aim the fluid into your drain pan.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM

its like 140 at my local dealer and the place i got mine done at too.

sometimes dealers have coupons for 20-30 bucks off on there website.

it will cost extra at a local shop due to the synthetic fluid.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM

10 Year Member

As said above, its not hard to do it yourself. Messy, yes, but hard no. LOL

Get yourself a new filter, and some Dexron VI (6) ATF and do a fluid change, sound like you are due for one.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:31 AM

alright, are there directions in the manual or should I do some googleing?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM

10 Year Member

No directions in the manual...

Heres what to do:

-Buy a new filter and 8 quarts of Dexron VI ATF (I personally use Valvoline Dexron VI)
-Get the front of the car up on jacks so you can get under it.
-Put lots of newpaper down to keep tranny fluid from getting all over the ground.
-figure out what size bolt the tranny pan uses (IDK off the top of my head 10mm maybe?)
-loosen all of them
-then loosen one side of the pan more than the rest, to force most of the fluid to start spilling out of one side. (make sure you have a large oil pan to catch all the fluid)
-Once most of the fluid has drained out the one side, proceed to taking all the bolts off, and make sure you are holding the pan up with one hand, because there will still be fluid in it.
-Once you have all the bolts off, take the pan down, and dump the rest of the fluid into the oil pan.
-remove the old filter (it takes some tugging to get it out) and then replace with the new filter (make sure the new one is pushed all the way in, it takes a bit of force)
-clean the tranny pan (brakes parts cleaner works well) and makes sure to clean the magnet too. (there will be a dark greyish sludge on the pan and magnet, thats what you want to clean off)
-Once everything is clean, and the new filter is secure and in place, bolt the pan back up (with the gasket obvisouly) and make sure not to over tighten the bolts snug them all before you start to tighten them. When you tighten, use a torque wrench and tighten to 124 inch-lbs.
- Once the pan is secured and all fastened up, now its time to add fluid.
-Pull out the dipstick, use a long skinny funnel, and pour in 7 quarts of new ATF.
-Take the car down, and clean up everything.
-let it run for a bit move the gear selector from park to R, to N, To D,3,2,1, and back.
-Then check the level (you check the level once the fluid is warmed up, and while the car is running)
-You will probably need to add about half a quart, maybe a smidge more.
-once you topped off, drive the car, and once you have driven it a while park it on a level surface, and leave it running. Pop the hood and check the fluid again just to make sure its at the proper level. Assuming everything is good, you are all done!

When I drop the pan and fill, my car usually takes ~7 quarts, 20 ounce.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by MAMONTE; 03-12-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:34 PM

alright! looks like im up for shopping! Ill be using my tax refund for this, how much will it run me? cheaper than the shop i hope..

Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM

10 Year Member

Much cheaper...Dexron VI (6) is kinda expensive because its synthetic, but 100% worth it. I pay about $5.50 per quart for the Valvoline so ($44.00 for fluid) and about $18-25 for a filter..

Grand total of about $69 bucks

And most shops are NOT going to use Dexron VI, they will put in a Non GM licensed fluid from the Dexron III spec...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slight "crunch" in shifting