Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

shiftplus??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Default shiftplus??

I was doing sum research since the 3.8 tranny is similar to the 4t60e you could use the shiftplus that is meant for it? i was jw. i want to change the shift point, the firmness without having to pull the tranny out the monte.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM

unfortunately, there are very few similarities between the 4t60e and 4t65e tranys. yes both are electronically controlled, but the 60 still uses a vacuum modulator. In order for you to change shift points, you will need to have the PCM (car computer) reprogrammed. I currently do not have a 1996 LS pcm file. if you want tuning i can start looking for a base file to start from.

Is this the shiftplus you are talking about? ShiftPlus electronic Shift Improver for GM it says for the 4L60/4L80 trans those are RWD cars. i would not recommend this for our cars. if you have a need for different shift points look into getting a tuned PCM for your car. you will have more power and be doing it safely.

if you just want to firm up the shifts you can change the vacuum modulator on the 4t60 to an adjustable one. i cant remember who exactly makes them any more... but they are a common parts store item. you can tell they are the Adj ones cause they are about half the size of the stock one. inside there is a set screw to adjust the shift pressure.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 AM

i dont like the clutches burning up when i romp on it, it kills me because i know its burning up the clutches, i want firmer shifts so i dont lose power, plus i dont know if you can help me out i got a random misfire, new plugs, 8 mm msd wires just put on there last month, all the coil pack are good but two of em tested high on the resistance, i swapped them out with my spare ones, the module underneath of em are good. i forgot to say it has the good lim gasket from felpro on there too, the one that is reinforced

Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
unfortunately, there are very few similarities between the 4t60e and 4t65e tranys. yes both are electronically controlled, but the 60 still uses a vacuum modulator. In order for you to change shift points, you will need to have the PCM (car computer) reprogrammed. I currently do not have a 1996 LS pcm file. if you want tuning i can start looking for a base file to start from.

Is this the shiftplus you are talking about? ShiftPlus electronic Shift Improver for GM it says for the 4L60/4L80 trans those are RWD cars. i would not recommend this for our cars. if you have a need for different shift points look into getting a tuned PCM for your car. you will have more power and be doing it safely.

if you just want to firm up the shifts you can change the vacuum modulator on the 4t60 to an adjustable one. i cant remember who exactly makes them any more... but they are a common parts store item. you can tell they are the Adj ones cause they are about half the size of the stock one. inside there is a set screw to adjust the shift pressure.
i dont know how to mess with those files at all either, so that prob wont be a good idea either lol

Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 PM

i have not seen a bin file for the 3100 in the monte. i have a copy of all supported DHP OSID's but would need your vin to get what OSID version you have. or you can go to this website and enter your vin and get me the OSID it tells you. TIS neat tool i just found while searching for a base bin for the ls.

your best bet is to get an adjustable vacuum modulator and maybe a trany cooler. then run Dexron VI fluid in it. transgo makes a shift kit for the 4t6oe also but IIRC it needs to be installed during a rebuild... unlike the 4t65 where you can just drop the pan and put it in from in there.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
i have not seen a bin file for the 3100 in the monte. i have a copy of all supported DHP OSID's but would need your vin to get what OSID version you have. or you can go to this website and enter your vin and get me the OSID it tells you. TIS neat tool i just found while searching for a base bin for the ls.

your best bet is to get an adjustable vacuum modulator and maybe a trany cooler. then run Dexron VI fluid in it. transgo makes a shift kit for the 4t6oe also but IIRC it needs to be installed during a rebuild... unlike the 4t65 where you can just drop the pan and put it in from in there.
if i private message you my vin could do you do the bin for me?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM

im new to tuning with bin files and i never heard of all this stuff you are saying to me at all lol

Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM

sure. send me the info and i'll look it up. if i can find a compatible file, i will be able to make a new pcm for you with the changes you want. the PCM does not control shift pressure however. if you want a harder shift you will need to swap the vacuum modulator like i mentioned above.