Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Shift kit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
1 Year Member
Default Shift kit worth it?

Hey everyone, I have an 06' Monte SS and at some point I want to beef up my transmission since they are notoriously bad. I have been looking at shift kits and it looks like, for the money, that could be a pretty good thing to do. What are your guys opinions on shift kits, have you guys all done them? and if you guys think it is worth it, is there a particular brand you guys/girls recommend? and is there anything else I can do to beef up my trans on top of a shift kit? I plan on doing a few performance mods such as a CAI, supercharger, exhaust, as well as get it tuned. So I want to make sure I beef up the trans as much as I can before I get to far into the all of those performance parts.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Curious, what supercharger are you going with? I don't think I've seen a supercharged LS4 before.

The only thing a shift kit will really do is reduce the time between gears when shifting. Where most cars have a soft shift between gears, it's because the gears are floating, which is also bad for the gears. So in theory, a shift kit will firm up the shifts, creating less floating time between gears.

The core of the problem is the transmission for these cars are too weak. Their horsepower limit is 300HP, out of the box they are already matted to a 303HP V8, so they are notorious to go bad. When it come to the internals of the transmission I'm not sure what you'd need to replace to make it stronger. I know there are some places that will offer a built transmission purposely built for racing for you. They cost around $1,500-$2,000 though, but can hold upwards of 500HP I believe.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Part of the work that I did to my car included the TransGo shift kit. There was an immediate difference that I could feel. Just the fact that my transmission is still working should be a testament to the product. If I could start all over, I would add an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler while I had it so far apart. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM

As he stated above ^

A transmission cooler can be had for around $150-$200 from ZZperformance I believe, a good investment.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
Curious, what supercharger are you going with? I don't think I've seen a supercharged LS4 before.

The only thing a shift kit will really do is reduce the time between gears when shifting. Where most cars have a soft shift between gears, it's because the gears are floating, which is also bad for the gears. So in theory, a shift kit will firm up the shifts, creating less floating time between gears.

The core of the problem is the transmission for these cars are too weak. Their horsepower limit is 300HP, out of the box they are already matted to a 303HP V8, so they are notorious to go bad. When it come to the internals of the transmission I'm not sure what you'd need to replace to make it stronger. I know there are some places that will offer a built transmission purposely built for racing for you. They cost around $1,500-$2,000 though, but can hold upwards of 500HP I believe.
I'm not 100% sure on what supercharger I will go with. I have only just started looking. And it sounds like if I can't beef up what I already have I may get a new transmission like what you are talking about. My car just crossed over 58k miles, so it pretty much has just started it's life. I'm only 20 so I plan on keeping this car for a good long while. So regardless of if I beef up the performance or not, I do want a trans that isn't going to crap out on me. Which I know it all mainly comes down to luck of the draw and how the trans has been taken care of. But if there is anything I can do to make this really nice car last like it should, then I want to do that. I appreciate the response, and if anyone else has any opinions, I would much appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM
1 Year Member

Is a shift kit as well as a cooler something that is fairly easy to install with some basic tools or is it something I should take to a shop to do? I rebuilt a ford thunderbird transmission which wasn't to bad. So I can't imagine something like this being any harder. But it's always good to know what you are getting into before you get into it.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
Is a shift kit as well as a cooler something that is fairly easy to install with some basic tools or is it something I should take to a shop to do? I rebuilt a ford thunderbird transmission which wasn't to bad. So I can't imagine something like this being any harder. But it's always good to know what you are getting into before you get into it.
I personally have no transmission experience. If this is your DD and only car that you have, I would avoid that, unless you know exactly what you're doing. The risk of damaging something and being without a car until it's properly repaired is too great.

Next best mod for this car, change the fluid! Most people say change it at 100k miles, don't wait that long. Drop the pan and change that fluid now, just never ever do a flush!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

With the kit I used, it was basically just replacing the accumulator springs. It was pretty straightforward for the (1-2) and (2-3). If you want to go any further than that, I would recommend taking it to a mechanic. You should be able to do a tranny cooler by yourself with no problems.

The directions provided in the kit were very straightforward. Even included how to remove your current fluid.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 04-07-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Instructions, *your
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
With the kit I used, it was basically just replacing the accumulator springs. It was pretty straightforward for the (1-2) and (2-3). If you want to go any further than that, I would recommend taking it to a mechanic. You should be able to do a tranny cooler by yourself with no problems.

The directions provided in the kit were very straightforward. Even included how to remove your current fluid.
Did you have to drop the tranny to put the kit in?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frosty LS1
I personally have no transmission experience. If this is your DD and only car that you have, I would avoid that, unless you know exactly what you're doing. The risk of damaging something and being without a car until it's properly repaired is too great.

Next best mod for this car, change the fluid! Most people say change it at 100k miles, don't wait that long. Drop the pan and change that fluid now, just never ever do a flush!
already done haha. I did that around 56k which was very very shortly after I got the car. Why should you never do a full flush?

Quick Reply: Shift kit worth it?