Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Shift Kit

Shift kits, worth it? or No? Better shifting = extra trans life I suppose, but can you tell the difference? I know shocker has one but hopefully he pops up in here like he usually does...but I cant tell from youtube videos if they really help or not. Can anyone confirm for the ls4 they help or even the 6th gen?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always tend to pop in haha. Yes I love the one I got. It is the Transgo shift kit and I got it from Dave at TEP. The shifts are quicker and you notice the downshift feel much fast and less sloppy. For $60 it was well worth it and didn't take much time to install. Alot of ls4 guys recommend them to help prolong transmission life also. If you have any questions in particular I would be happy to help outtoo.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I always tend to pop in haha. Yes I love the one I got. It is the Transgo shift kit and I got it from Dave at TEP. The shifts are quicker and you notice the downshift feel much fast and less sloppy. For $60 it was well worth it and didn't take much time to install. Alot of ls4 guys recommend them to help prolong transmission life also. If you have any questions in particular I would be happy to help outtoo.

Ahaha awsome, I do have one question, do you have a trans cooler as well? Ive heard pairing a shift kit and trans cooler really helps trans life. Im also going to be nearing 100k miles in about another 14k maybe...I drive WAYY too much, but any tips on recommended tune up parts for our cars specifically?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Shift kits, worth it? or No? Better shifting = extra trans life I suppose, but can you tell the difference? I know shocker has one but hopefully he pops up in here like he usually does...but I cant tell from youtube videos if they really help or not. Can anyone confirm for the ls4 they help or even the 6th gen?

I installed a shift kit on my 2005 Monte SS supercharged & my wife's 2005 Impala SS an I love it. My wife say's she can feel it shift..

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
RED DEVIL

Ahaha awsome, I do have one question, do you have a trans cooler as well? Ive heard pairing a shift kit and trans coolet eally helps trans life. Im also going to be nearing 100k miles an about another 14k maybe...I drive WAYY too much, but any tips on recommended tune up parts for our cars specifically?
I have one but I have yet to install it haha. I got a huge one and haven't wanted to tear my bumper off too bad. It will help for sure.. With the one I got people have said to never see temps over 185. as long as you keep the tranny fluid fresh and do regular maintainence and nothing is making noise up front in the steering youshould be alright. After seeing my sway bar end links I always recommend replace those if you haven't.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Ima have my girl buy me one soon. I have NEVER done maintence on this monte carlo tranny, dunno how it looks. Should I drop pan it? I just hit 87k.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
RED DEVIL

Ima have my girl buy me one soon. I have NEVER done maintence on this monte carlo tranny, dunno how it looks. Should I drop pan it? I just hit 87k.
Yes. just do a filter and fluid change...I would not recommend a flush. I dropped my pan at 37k and I think I will every 20k and even at 37k the fluid didn't look that great.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Drop the pan and do the filter for sure, and I 2nd the TransGo shift kit, quality parts.

The ATP trans filter kits is highly decent for a good filter and rubber replacement gasket.

Buy a fluid transfer hand pump, suck as much of the old fluid out of the dipstick tube as you can before dropping the pan, makes things easier

Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Overkill
Drop the pan and do the filter for sure, and I 2nd the TransGo shift kit, quality parts.

The ATP trans filter kits is highly decent for a good filter and rubber replacement gasket.

Buy a fluid transfer hand pump, suck as much of the old fluid out of the dipstick tube as you can before dropping the pan, makes things easier
good to see you on the forum Will. The tune is still awesome btw.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Good to hear Zach, the Monte's looking good!

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Shift Kit