Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Shift Kit....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Default Shift Kit....?

I have recently purchased a shift kit along with upper motor mount bushings for my '02. I was wondering if there are any suggestions/known problems with this addition. I think it has the hd trans...not sure...I even called the original dealer and they couldn't tell me what it has. Any advice/coments would be appreciated.

IBEWBro

Also....DEXcool? bad...git rid of it or what?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the HD trans was for the supercharged versions, you have the standard 4t65e

Dexcool is fine as long as you flush yearly. Which can be a little more expensive.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dex-Cool isn't very popular here... I don't know exaclty what you mix with it to keep it from jelling up, but another thread has suggested that a yearly flush should be done.

I don't know much about that shift kit myself. I'm guessing you bought the polyurethane motor mounts then? Never heard of any problems... some claim more power to the wheels.... would like someone to explain exactly how to me. It should hold up better over time though.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM

What shift kit and what "motor mount bushings" did you buy?

As Chibi said you have a non-HD transmission- shift kits made for the HD will work fine in your regular 4T65E- the only real difference between the two is the differential.

some claim more power to the wheels.... would like someone to explain exactly how to me.
Because the motor doesn't move as much when spinning up- this means your wasting less energy by eliminating movement and delivering more power to the wheels.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM

5 Year Member

Once the engine flexes to a certain point it can't flex any more anyway... I looked on ZZP briefly, I can't find any dyno charts or tests for these things.... they just claim that by demand they are making them. I assume the dyno charts exist somewhere. If you're more comfortable running it, then all the more power to you.... but I don't think it would be what makes the difference.... but I've been wrong before!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Lets see....Thrasher 4T65E shift kit, MSP Poly upper motor mounts, Ram Air Tech billet aluminum engine supports with MSP bushings, and unrelated, a SLP 180 t-stat.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 PM

5 Year Member

That engine shouldn't be going anywhere... should give you a more firm ride, that much is for sure. You'd just need to find a good transmission shop to do that shift kit for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 PM

well....the shift kit product page says it can be done in an hour by any good shadetree mechanic. Are you saying it's not needed?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM

5 Year Member

Well I don't know what you've got to do... I'm thinking it must juts be a plate that reroutes the transmission fluid... on lots of them you have to drill out things to make passages bigger through the valvebody. It must just be a plate for yours that re routes the fluid through the valve body. You'd drain you're transmission fluid, drop the fluid pan off the bottom, and then maybe take the valve body down.... it should have instructions to help you from there, probably came with a new gasket for the fluid pan and all. make sure you scrap off all of the old one. If you have a small buffer, you could buff off where the pan bolts up, or just take some sand paper and scratch off all of the old gasket.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM

actually....it says..(online) that you just change out springs and spacers in valve body....which changes how the accumulators pick up.....and it's 1-2 and 2-3 only....I think

Quick Reply: Shift Kit....?