Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Engine Build: Second build cam question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I’ve been through hell and back with my 3800. Losing 12k at shop the nearly destroyed my engine. Then shipping it out to zzp and spending 10k to fix, rebuild, and replace parts that were either broken, not installed when I paid for them or just missing. 22k I could have put down on a hellcat. This car means a lot to me and I would rather have it than any new car that’s all digital bs nowadays. I will get my g body Monte eventually but this car is my priority. I don’t know where I can get the exact blower in the us as it doesn’t look like the 140ax on whipples website or Maybe you can reccomend where I can get it. I’m pretty sure I can find the blower in the u.s. but like you said I will need the adapter plate and intercooler and pulley. I have the zzp 10% overdrive balancer I believe. If I buy the 140ax raw from whipple, what length snout do I need? I can see if I can just get the adapter plate and intercooler from yella terra

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 07-19-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 AM

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...&product_id=99

That's the blower on the whipple site. You want the 'extended drive ready' option. I'd probably search around their distributors too as you may find a better price.

No idea off the top of my head on snout length. I could measure mine if you want when I get back from vacation. IMO I'd personally order that from YT though to make sure you get the right one for the kit.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 AM

I wanna see this car...

Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ind...&product_id=99

That's the blower on the whipple site. You want the 'extended drive ready' option. I'd probably search around their distributors too as you may find a better price.

No idea off the top of my head on snout length. I could measure mine if you want when I get back from vacation. IMO I'd personally order that from YT though to make sure you get the right one for the kit.

Ok if you don’t mind measuring it that would definitely help. I most likely will take your advice and order through yella terra but just in case. Thank you

Old 07-20-2019, 01:38 PM

Sure, will do. Will be back home Weds.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member

Sure, will do. Will be back home Weds.
Ok great!

Old 07-21-2019, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member

Hey bumpin, what compression are you running?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM

I'm running 9.5:1 nominally via the Diamond pistons. Stock thickness head gasket and heads were ground only enough to clean them up, so the delta there is virtually nothing. It's on E85 with enough fuel headroom for E98 so I've never had signs of knock. Honestly wish it were higher like what you're looking at, but I also planned on it being 93 pump gas only when I built it.

As far as the snout - mine measures 4 1/4" long for the smooth shaft portion, the stepped up flange end that bolts to the blower is 1/2" thick, so total length of the snout from blower to pulley is 4 3/4".

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

I'm running 9.5:1 nominally via the Diamond pistons. Stock thickness head gasket and heads were ground only enough to clean them up, so the delta there is virtually nothing. It's on E85 with enough fuel headroom for E98 so I've never had signs of knock. Honestly wish it were higher like what you're looking at, but I also planned on it being 93 pump gas only when I built it.

As far as the snout - mine measures 4 1/4" long for the smooth shaft portion, the stepped up flange end that bolts to the blower is 1/2" thick, so total length of the snout from blower to pulley is 4 3/4".

Ok, so it should be the same since I’ll be converting to L67 setup and the l36 is virtually the same setup just without the tensioner and idler pulleys. On the whipple sure you linked, I can choose 4 and 5/16 other wise it goes up to 5+. Any idea? Maybe measure it from where it connects to the blower from there to the edge of the pulley on the snout where the belt is?

Thanks for getting back to me. Still waiting on a response from yella terra. I’m also in contact with Ed labarge as he made a kit with the harrop tvs 2300 blower including adapters and intercooler to fit the lim on the l67 as well as alternator relocation. He didn’t make more than 1 kit which is in his car since no one really showed interest but I’m contacting him to see if he would make another as I would pay for it Incase the whipple kit doesn’t work out.
Im sure I can bring the blower, the manifold and the stage 2 intercooler to a machine shop to make it all fit worse case scenario. Also I saw on eBay the lysholm blower from the ford gt which is a possibility as well

Last edited by 03vaderSS; 07-24-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 03vaderSS
Ok, so it should be the same since I’ll be converting to L67 setup and the l36 is virtually the same setup just without the tensioner and idler pulleys. On the whipple sure you linked, I can choose 4 and 5/16 other wise it goes up to 5+. Any idea? Maybe measure it from where it connects to the blower from there to the edge of the pulley on the snout where the belt is?
I see what the problem is. On the whipple snout page, if you open the attachments tab, they have drawing showing where the measurement is taken. They measure from the base that seats up to the blower up to the front of the 'hub' that the pulley sits on (beyond where the shaft stops as the hub goes into the pulley). I cant get that measurement without pulling the pulley off which isnt really possible in our current living situation.

I did take the measurement you asked for - base of blower to start of belt, and that's right at 5 3/8", so I'd imagine it would have to be the "5 inch" snout (assuming YT didn't have a lot of snouts custom made). Theres no way it could be the 4 inch snout they sell though.

Thanks for getting back to me. Still waiting on a response from yella terra. I’m also in contact with Ed labarge as he made a kit with the harrop tvs 2300 blower including adapters and intercooler to fit the lim on the l67 as well as alternator relocation. He didn’t make more than 1 kit which is in his car since no one really showed interest but I’m contacting him to see if he would make another as I would pay for it Incase the whipple kit doesn’t work out.
Im sure I can bring the blower, the manifold and the stage 2 intercooler to a machine shop to make it all fit worse case scenario. Also I saw on eBay the lysholm blower from the ford gt which is a possibility as well
That TVS 2300 is pretty sweet. There has been so much advancement in blowers lately that there are all kinds of options that are worlds better than the old M90s.

Quick Reply: Engine Build: Second build cam question