Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Safe to switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:10 AM
1 Year Member
Default Safe to switch?

So I think I'm going to stop and get some oil and an oil filter tonight and change my oil this weekend. My car is running on conventional oil and is at 58k miles. Would it be safe to switch over to synthetic? I have heard horror stories that if you have more then about 30k miles then you run into serious risk of leaks and all that nonsense. I was wondering if any of you guys have switched anything over from conventional to synthetic in a car that has more then 30k miles and if you have had any problems. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You only have 58k miles? That's practically brand new. I switched over to synthetic well over 100k miles and have gone back and forth since then between conventional and synthetic. Now my Monte has about 170k miles on it and still running strong.

It sounds like whoever told you the 30k mile thing doesn't know what they're talking about.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Conventional (Dino) oil and synthetic oil are 100% compatible with one another. No harm will come from switching from one to the other or mixing them. I have switched several of my vehicles over to synthetic oil and have never had a problem with developing leaks. Some were low mileage and others had well over 60K miles on them. There's a ton of myths floating around the 'net. Most major oil distributors have a section on their web sites that explain the differences and info to help decipher fact from fiction.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM

I always thought once u use synthitic you cant go back to regular motor oil...eh..wow

Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM

if you have a leak synthetic will **** out faster because it doesnt clot the same i would assume

Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM

it is not that dino oil clots. synth blend oil and full synth oils both have more detergents in them. these remove varnish and deposits better. hence all the old varnish and build up that was eating away at your seals will now be washed away, causing there to now be leaks. many years ago synth oil was made with a diff base oil and would not mix right with conventional. obviously this cause some engine problems and they have been making them all compatible for many many years now.

with 58k miles you dont really need a high mileage synth blend. but it wouldn't hurt. but deff run the best filter you can get. the filter really is the most important part of the oil change. with synth oil the only real reason to drain all the oil is just to remove the dirt and junk. I have heard of people just swapping filters and kept running the same synth oil.

Last edited by z34phoenix; 04-17-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
I have heard of people just swapping filters and kept running the same synth oil.
This is a terrible idea that spawned from the myth that synthetic oil doesn't wear out. Although the synthetic base doesn't wear out, some of the additives do. In addition, the synthetic base becomes diluted with blow by gases, moisture and contaminates. Another harmful aspect of this practice is that when the engine is cold (and the oil is thick) it cannot flow adequately through the filter, so the majority of it flows through the by-pass valve in the filter. That means all that dirty, contaminated oil is the only 'protection' the bearings have during cold start. Just changing the filter and topping off the crankcase is a terrible practice and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I always switch my vehicles over to synthetic no matter the mileage, I run Royal Purple in my SRT sence there the only ones who make a 5w40 oil at a decent price and Mobil 1 in everything else

Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

58k is a perfect time to switch
I switched at 53k and still no leaks, mainly switched because it generally lasts 2000miles longer I drive alot.

Quick Reply: Safe to switch?