Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen ('00-'05): Rough shifting between 1st and 2nd

  #1  
Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Keudn's Avatar
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 105
Default Rough shifting between 1st and 2nd

My 05 SS Monte has been temperamental with shifting between 1st and 2nd for a while now. It doesn't feel as smooth and quick as between other gears, and occasionally there will be a thud. To me it feels slower and more forced. As I am a handful of miles from 150k and have been adding some performance mods I am a bit concerned about the health of the transmission. The car is due for a service soon, should I ask them to check the tranny as well? Is this something I should worry about and get looked at soon?
 
  #2  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
ChibiBlackSheep's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wyncote, PA
Posts: 24,825
Default

You can start with a pan drop, fluid and filter change (not a full machine flush).

But that does sound more like a solenoid starting to go.
 
  #3  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: around cal city,il
Posts: 3,143
Default

Originally Posted by Keudn View Post
My 05 SS Monte has been temperamental with shifting between 1st and 2nd for a while now. It doesn't feel as smooth and quick as between other gears, and occasionally there will be a thud. To me it feels slower and more forced. As I am a handful of miles from 150k and have been adding some performance mods I am a bit concerned about the health of the transmission. The car is due for a service soon, should I ask them to check the tranny as well? Is this something I should worry about and get looked at soon?
I recently bought an 05 SS, 151k on it.. Needed new trans.

I would use caution and your best judgement when going in asking them to look at something like that (transmission). Of course most shops are in it for honesty and customer satisfaction, but you know, theres plenty of bad apples out there.. Like the guy that tried charging me 4,200 for a basic rebuild excluding the torque converter. He also said thats a little on the low side for the estimate. *Sketchy*

Ended up getting the trans built with a shift kit and a few other better parts for 28... Torque converter included.

Im sure this comes as common sense tho.
 

Last edited by wht02monte; 05-30-2017 at 02:12 PM.
  #4  
Old 05-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Keudn's Avatar
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 105
Default

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
You can start with a pan drop, fluid and filter change (not a full machine flush).

But that does sound more like a solenoid starting to go.
Is is the same solenoid that shifts from 1st -> 2nd and back down from 2nd -> 1st? It is smoother shifting up than down


Originally Posted by wht02monte View Post
I recently bought an 05 SS, 151k on it.. Needed new trans.

I would use caution and your best judgement when going in asking them to look at something like that (transmission). Of course most shops are in it for honesty and customer satisfaction, but you know, theres plenty of bad apples out there.. Like the guy that tried charging me 4,200 for a basic rebuild excluding the torque converter. He also said thats a little on the low side for the estimate. *Sketchy*

Ended up getting the trans built with a shift kit and a few other better parts for 28... Torque converter included.

Im sure this comes as common sense tho.
Nice to know, I was planning on taking it to a GM dealer and have it thoroughly serviced with it hitting 150k and me doing a lot to it lately, I can probably ask them to look at the trans while im there.
 
  #5  
Old 06-03-2017, 05:42 AM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
Posts: 332
Default

have your cat checked for clog
 
  #6  
Old 08-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 57
Default

change your engine mount pass. side and trans. mount driver side. I hade same problem, changed mounts rough hard shift gone. The mounts I removed looked good, they were not. cost Around $50. from summit. the ones on rock auto are not as well made as summits.
 
  #7  
Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Keudn's Avatar
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 105
Default

Originally Posted by hamerhead View Post
change your engine mount pass. side and trans. mount driver side. I hade same problem, changed mounts rough hard shift gone. The mounts I removed looked good, they were not. cost Around $50. from summit. the ones on rock auto are not as well made as summits.
Could you get me links to these? Are you talking about the dog bones?
 
  #8  
Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 57
Default

no, I'm talking about the motor mounts. you have to take the wheels off to see them after you remove a panel. It is a time consuming job, but you do have to unbolt the dog bones on one end. this may not work for you but it's worth a try. beats a trip to the transmission shop.
 
  #9  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:10 PM
04MonteCarloLS's Avatar
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by hamerhead View Post
change your engine mount pass. side and trans. mount driver side. I hade same problem, changed mounts rough hard shift gone. The mounts I removed looked good, they were not. cost Around $50. from summit. the ones on rock auto are not as well made as summits.
100% agree. Had rough shifting for a while, replaced all engine and transmission mounts, and it has gone away since.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.