Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Rockers

Old 01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Default Rockers

So I installed Yella Terra 1.9 ratio roller rockers, LS6 valve springs, YT pushrods, pedestals, and Comp Cams valve retainers on the Monte Carlo this weekend. It was kind of a pain in the ***, since I had to pull the upper motor mounts, fuel rails, injectors, supercharger, alternator, ignition coils and bracket, and this stupid bracket that routes coolant before I could get at the valve covers. Installing valve springs in heads that are on a car is always a pain in the *** too- for those of you that have never done it, you have to rotate each cylinder to TDC, compress it with air, use a valve spring compression tool on the spring, then try to not drop the stupid little valve keys that actually hold your valves in the retainers.

Definitely worth it though! Huge difference, especially in off-idle power. I'm able to blaze tire from a roll up to about 40 MPH now. Since the rockers bleed off compression, I was able to add 2* of WOT timing too. Anyone considering this should do it!

The inner ricer in me also came out, as I painted my supercharger while it was off the car.

Can't wait for the track to open in April, I think the Monte will put down some decent times.

Comparison- stock rocker arm on the left, Yella Terra 1.9 on the right:

LS6 valve springs and Comp retainers installation in-progress- look at the difference between the LS6 springs (left cylinder) compared to the stockers:

Out with the old....these are the rockers, valve springs, retainers, pushrods, and pedestals I removed:

Here's how it's looking with the painted blower. I like it looks cool, but I am a closet ricer (with major redneck tendencies):

Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those look like roller rockers, correct? I believe any engine that is built for performance should have those, so great job. I read your signature, and that should complement the rest of those mods quite well! About the only other thing you could do is a stroker kit! Is all that from ZZP?

Does this engine take oil to the valvetrain through the push tube (my Fard 390 in the Torino does not, so I'm wondering). If so, do those new push tubes limit the oil to the top, because those rockers should not need as much.... It was probably a pain, I can imagine... but I believe the only way to really make some power is to go internal, and it sounds like you really know what you're doing with this engine.

Thanks for posting!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wanna put mine in when I get them? haha and your not a ricer, trust me Me on the other hand lol

Old 01-10-2010, 05:41 PM

Those look like roller rockers, correct? I believe any engine that is built for performance should have those, so great job.
Yep, they're Yella Terra 1.9 ratio roller rockers- real roller rockers with a roller tip. Some folks claim that non-roller style 1.9 ratio rockers make more power on our boosted 3800s, but I'm with you- if I'm going through all this trouble, I'm using real roller rockers.

I read your signature, and that should complement the rest of those mods quite well! About the only other thing you could do is a stroker kit! Is all that from ZZP?
Thanks... Most of the parts are from ZZP. The ported exhaust manifold is from WBody Store, but all the other performance parts are from ZZP.

Does this engine take oil to the valvetrain through the push tube (my Fard 390 in the Torino does not, so I'm wondering). If so, do those new push tubes limit the oil to the top, because those rockers should not need as much....
Yep, good call- they are oil-restricted pushrods. They do provide oiling to the rockers, but not nearly as much as the stockers did.

It was probably a pain, I can imagine... but I believe the only way to really make some power is to go internal, and it sounds like you really know what you're doing with this engine.
Thanks! It was a pain, but not NEARLY as tedious as my last rocker installation, which was on my old '95 Mustang GT...the rockers I installed on that had to be adjusted for valve lash, which was a BIG pain in the ***.

Wanna put mine in when I get them? haha and your not a ricer, trust me Me on the other hand lol
Are you around Pittsburgh? I'm always willing to help a fellow 3800-er out.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM

fuel rails, injectors, supercharger
I'm confused why you had to do that- I did modded stock 1.9s on my old 99 gtp and didn't have to remove any of these.

Yep, they're Yella Terra 1.9 ratio roller rockers- real roller rockers with a roller tip. Some folks claim that non-roller style 1.9 ratio rockers make more power on our boosted 3800s, but I'm with you- if I'm going through all this trouble, I'm using real roller rockers.
I think the thing that draws people to the non rollers (ie modded stock) is the cheap price and easy install since you don't have to do springs at stock shift points.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 PM

My SS M90 rails are fatter and protrude more towards the valve cover than L67 injector rails do- no way was I getting the valve springs off without removing them (the spring compression tool I have is the lever type- it simply wouldn't clear). Since I was pulling the rails, I figured I'd pull the blower for maximum clearance- I didn't want to be messing with tiny valve keepers in a cramped space, magnet on a stick or not.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
Are you around Pittsburgh? I'm always willing to help a fellow 3800-er out.
Haha I was just kidding, but Im from Nebraska

Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM

That's a bit of a hike for me.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

With those mods, you should be able to get there pretty quickly

Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Default Nice!

Hey, I really like the setup. I just got an '06 with the 3.9.... as I look for performance mods I regret not getting something with the 3800. I had a 1998 Regal GS with the supercharged motor and loved it. Sadly I wasn't ready to perform my own mods.

Now that I am I don't have the engine to do it on

Enjoy the new found power!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rockers