Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: Resticted Coolant Flow in my 02 3800?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Resticted Coolant Flow in my 02 3800?????

Hi guys,
So i have a not so new irritant, not a problem yet, with my Minion. She's been doing this since I got her 3 years ago. In warm weather the temp will go back and forth from 200° to 220°. The fans kick on at 220° and the temp drops back to 200° and the cycle starts over again. And this is even when i am moving. She has never Over heated on me, not even on the drive across the country. When I turn my heater on, the temp will drop below 200° and then Slowly move back up. Again, until the fans kick on, and then the temp drops faster. I have no loss of power and no smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I put about half a Quart a month in coolant. I'm not using Dexcool! The Terms tate is a 185. Both the upper and lower hoses were replace before I moved. There is no Bubbling. I do get plenty of heat when I turn the heater on, which sucks in this warm weather. I'm thinking my radiator may be Shot! Some type of clog in it. I'm concerned with it now because it isn't a problem but I know it could become one really fast.
I know my water pump and tremostat are working cause I get heat and she cools down when the fans come on. And I don't think half a Quart of coolant a month is a lot! And there is no signs of leakage in the driveway!
If I have to replace the radiator I want one that has a bigger cooling surface than the OEM. (I mean Larger Capacity). Basically I've got a restricted flow and it could only be in the engine, or in the radiator. What do you guys think?

Last edited by JC Colon; 06-23-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM

Hey JC, you miss jersey?
You bled the system? Shouldn't the fans come on sooner?
Is there a way to get them both on without AC? or an aftermarket fan

Holding it down here in Jersey

Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bossross
Hey JC, you miss jersey?
You bled the system? Shouldn't the fans come on sooner?
Is there a way to get them both on without AC? or an aftermarket fan

Holding it down here in Jersey
Hay Ross, not missing Jersey it self. I'm done with Kristy. But I miss my kids.
I've had to bleed my system 3 times since I've owned my Minion. Upper Hose, Lower Hose and then elbows. But the temp has been running like that since I owned her. It's just the latest herdle I wanna jump. I think 220° is the temp to turn on the fans. But I have to look it up. She's sitting now, since I have to use the truck for work. I figured if I replace the radiator that's one less posibility. Otherwise the problem is in the motor. :-(
Gonna start working on her again in the fall. I will post what I find

Old 07-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey JC. I think the radiator would be a good start, but you shouldn't need bigger capacity. You might run in to clearance problems if you go any bigger than the OEM 5/8" thick core. Remember the AC condenser sits in front of the radiator. Hard to clean the condenser since you gotta' blow air through the back of the radiator core to blow the bugs out the front of the condenser core. Radiator tubes might be sludged up too. Radiators are cheap though (<$100) compared to the cost of a professional radiator flush. If you do replace the radiator that's the time to blow out the condenser.
On the other hand, where's the coolant going? Might be a small internal (LIM or head gasket) leak, or a small heater hose or elbow leak that turns to steam when it hits a hot manifold. Found a hole in the end of a heater hose under a clamp last week on the "01 last weekend.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

All the hoses and elbows have been changed. I think it's the radiator but I plan one doing the upper and lower intake gaskets before next summer. With this job and having to drive the truck 6 days a week I can do the work on My Minion but take my time! I wanna get all the parts I need for the engine and do it all at once! But I can't start doing anything until September. The Mrs. wants a Bluetooth stereo for the Altima. If it Ain't one Car, it's Another!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Hey JC. I think the radiator would be a good start, but you shouldn't need bigger capacity. You might run in to clearance problems if you go any bigger than the OEM 5/8" thick core.

Think your good going with the larger radiator. We recently put the HD one from the Impala "Police Package" with the HD fans and it all fit fine, and my Cartuning Turbo Manifolds stick out more than stock ones. Not trying to be disruptive, just a heads up as to what I'm running now.

Remember the AC condenser sits in front of the radiator. Hard to clean the condenser since you gotta' blow air through the back of the radiator core to blow the bugs out the front of the condenser core. Radiator tubes might be sludged up too. Radiators are cheap though (<$100) compared to the cost of a professional radiator flush. If you do replace the radiator that's the time to blow out the condenser.

Totally agree, the condenser is commonly the source of restricted air flow as bugs and other foreign matter will become lodged in the fins and cutting off the air flow to the radiator. I will spray a A/C foaming cleaner onto the condenser fins let it soak in and then squirt water from the back side to rinse debris out of the radiator and condenser fins. You get wet, but hey on a hot day that's just okay.

On the other hand, where's the coolant going? Might be a small internal (LIM or head gasket) leak, or a small heater hose or elbow leak that turns to steam when it hits a hot manifold. Found a hole in the end of a heater hose under a clamp last week on the "01 last weekend.
This is the million dollar question right here, where is your coolant going? It is not normal to add coolant every month. I know your a savvy guy JC and would have seen any water in your oil and tell tell signs coming out your tail pipe. Do you smell coolant when you shut off your car and walk by the engine bay area? You can get a cooling system pressure tester for free to use at Auto Zone etc. Could be something as simple as a radiator cap too, but it has to be going somewhere. A clamp, bad hose, cap, water pump, radiator, especially if you have to bleed your coolant of air all the time, sounds like air is getting sucked in as the system cools down.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Think your good going with the larger radiator. We recently put the HD one from the Impala "Police Package" with the HD fans and it all fit fine, and my Cartuning Turbo Manifolds stick out more than stock ones. Not trying to be disruptive, just a heads up as to what I'm running now.

Greg, good to know about the clearance. Just had the thought after pulling the one out of the '01 SS and how tight it was to get the cooling fans out around the exhaust manifold.

JC- If you do decide to go with stock I have a brand new radiator, water pump and coolant level sensor I was going to use in the '01 SS before I found more problems and decided it wasn't worth fixing. Have some other parts you might be interested in too. Tried to PM you but your box is full.
See my thread:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...ix-junk-53682/

Last edited by plumbob; 07-14-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

JC check your condenser are the fins bent over? Rocks and bugs will bend them over I bent mine all straight takes forever they have tool but dosent work good about 5 or 6 rows bent over cools much better now, I used a small screwdriver.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the Help guys, you know I apriciate it!
The heat constantly rising and falling was just one of the reasons I am concerned. Having to add fluid every 4 weeks give or take, it the other. I am happy about owning the truck because now I can let NY Minion sit until I get acclimated to the new job, and I have the $$$ coming in to take care of the rest of the problems. The motor WILL NOT BLOW cause I don’t have to drive her on a daily! I know I will have more questions, as I remove the Radiator UIM and LIM. Add the CAI and make sure all is working properly. Have to have it all done and ready to re-paint by May 2016!