Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

question about dogbones

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Default question about dogbones

i think thats what they are called...what is the purpose of these in the engine bay? do they actually hold the motor in? and will it hurt to remove them?

Attached Thumbnails question about dogbones-340011.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 01:26 AM

Ok to remove for repair work if you need to move the engine forward or back a bit- they keep the engine from rocking too much forward and back while driving (the mounts on the bottom are the ones that actually hold it up though, there is no real stress on the upper mounts with the egine off). Not ok to remove for driving as the engine will rock around a lot.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 AM

if you remove the dog bones you put un nessesary stress on the lower engine mounts. it will lead to failure when the dog bones are removed. i have seen some just snap do to the lack of the dog bones from the car repair shop that i worked at. wwe denied repair do to intentional removal of the dog bones and the shop didnt want to get sued to the lack of the uper dog bones and we mention we decline the repair do to the lack of the dog bones when they asked the right questions. do to premature weir on the lower mounts. if it was designed with out the dog bones it would be different but it is not designed with out the dog bones. me personally i just wish all makes has those for there front wheel drive do to the lack of weir on the mounts and it reduces vibration when driving. also it puts less stress on the power train when it is set up this way on our cars. what i mean less stress on the cv axels less strain on the trans and engine i am glad to have the dog bones on the motor

Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 PM

if you remove the dog bones you put un nessesary stress on the lower engine mounts

Just to clarify here- that is if you start/drive it. Removing them for maintenance is ok since they do not provide load bearing support to the engine, only control horizontal forces when the engine is running.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM

how about just removing one????

Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by shingding88
how about just removing one????
why remove them at all? unless your doing work on the car and not driving it!!!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't remove either of them. I had no clue how easy it was to rock the engine with them off, but I recently found out. Definately leave them both on.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Don't remove either of them. I had no clue how easy it was to rock the engine with them off, but I recently found out. Definately leave them both on.
ok, nitehawk, what about people replacing them with polymer mounts? are these better than stock dogbones? just wondering??

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
ok, nitehawk, what about people replacing them with polymer mounts? are these better than stock dogbones? just wondering??
I don't know if you're trying to be sarcastic, but poly mounts are "better" because they allow the motor to move a bit more than a solid metal mount, yet they still keep the motor from moving too much, especially once a heavy load is placed on the motor (ex: going WOT).

Personally, as long as you do have the dogbones connected - poly or metal - you're safe. But definately do NOT drive the car around with the dogbones off.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
I don't know if you're trying to be sarcastic, but poly mounts are "better" because they allow the motor to move a bit more than a solid metal mount, yet they still keep the motor from moving too much, especially once a heavy load is placed on the motor (ex: going WOT).

Personally, as long as you do have the dogbones connected - poly or metal - you're safe. But definately do NOT drive the car around with the dogbones off.

dude, no way being sarcastic, just thought I'd ask the question about stock verse poly mounts. thanks, just want another guys opinion about this! thanks nitehawk....

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 02-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question about dogbones