Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Pulley Size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Default Pulley Size?

Okay after reading ans searching all I can on the site my plans are for a ZZP downpipe with the Magnaflow high flow cat, A FIPK (Probably Wizaired), Flowmaster delta flow mufflers, A chip (Not sure on which one to get)and a smaller pulley. Now with all those mods which Pulley size would you guys recommend?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Default RE: Pulley Size?

Scratch the ChipI'llget the ZZP PCM tailored for my car instead.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Okay after reading ans searching all I can on the site my plans are for a ZZP downpipe with the Magnaflow high flow cat, A FIPK (Probably Wizaired), Flowmaster delta flow mufflers, A chip (Not sure on which one to get) and a smaller pulley. Now with all those mods which Pulley size would you guys recommend?
Well, lemme break it down:

PCM isn't the only way to try to down your pulley size.

downpipe will help, but won't do much unless you get at least the ported headers.

Highflow cat will help.

and Highflow mufflers mean crap at your level.

Now, next thing.

Buy a scanner. Before you drop ANY pulleys, if you have knock, you are going to have to get rid of it. Period.

I, nor any other member here, will not endorse ANY modding until AFTER you get a good scan tool, and learn how to use it properly.

Once you figure that out, THEN come back and we can talk about Pulley sizes.

I am not trying to be ignorant, only saving you THOUSANDS of dollars if you blow your engine.

So you have two options:

Listen to me, or blow your engine =)

Also, just so you know, even with only a 3.5 pulley (stock is 3.8), and hella tune, along with headers, and lots of time, I am STILL getting knock.

So mod wisely

-Keegan

Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Okay I get the point and appriciate the honest advice but in reality while I applaud all of you guys who are going all out with modding their cars I don't plan on doing that. I've owned well over 40 cars since I started driving 31 years ago and I got the bug of heavily modding my cars out of my system quite awhile ago. Now I just want to get the most bang for my buck. From what I have read I thought those5 mods would do that and apparently I was wrong. All I have done to my last few vehicles was intake (FIPK), exhaust and a hand help programmer (Superchips). I made my assumptions from reading the various posts on this forum and from doing some surfing on the net. Correct me if I'm wrong but by atleast adding an FIPK, downpipe (It looks cheaper to add the downpipe than to fab a u-bend delete) and replace the mufflers (or do a cat back) I should see aincrease in mpg and performance (Granted it won't be earthshattering) and my Monte will atleast stand out from the stock ones. Will those mods cause me issues? They never did on my other vehicles but then again this is my 1st supercharged car all the others were either turbo or just plain carburated or fuel injected.

Lastly is it even worth it to switch to synthetic oils and runhigher quality plugs and wires?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Those mods are fine, but dropping pulley size is a no-go until you know what your engine is doing. EVERY engine is different.

I would stay with stock wires, and stock plugs until you know if your engine is knocking. I enjoy my new synthetic oil, but that's because I beat the crap out of my engine, and it is nice to know that my engine is protected by the newest technology synthetic oils out there.

This being your first supercharged engine, please read around this site. You will read that most of our blowers push out around 5-7 psi stock, and they also produce up to 400 degree outputs.

That = knock.

Therefore, it is in your best interest to think about the following in addition to your list:

Rockers (since a cam will not be in your future)

180 Thermostat (easy mod)

And I would go for some sort of a CUSTOM tune. Where do you live? Would driving to ZZP be impossible?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:01 AM

1) What are your ultimate goals?

2) Buy a decent scanner (LS1M, Autotap), or all out tuner (PowrTuner, HPTuners)

If you're looking to mildly mod, and not go heavy into the engine mods, and looking for around 40 extra HP, here's what I would suggest, since I've been there.

180* t-stat
Autolite 104 plugs
3" Downpipe, u-bend and resonator removal
FWI or CAI (Wizaired, or home-made FWI to save $)
Stage 2 ported throttle body
3.5" pulley, perhaps 3.4 (all depending on what your engine is doing currently, and with these mods)
PCM tune

If you want to tune yourself, get reading on the tuning forums, and learn from the ground up. It's a long journey. If you dont' plan on going deeper than 3.5 or 3.4" pulley leave (8-10psi), then you're probably better off with a canned PCM, or a custom tune by someone in your area. I can tune you, but you're probably far away from me. I'd mail you one to replace your stocker, but I couldn't guarantee a perfect tune, because it's not being done in-car, and adjusted to meet your specific engine's output. Best thing I could do is provide you with a modest, safe, yet fun to drive tune, and you would need to scan to ensure you have no knock.

Good luck with your modding journey... let us know your ultimate performance goals, then we can discuss further.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM

A mild mod is fine with me.

Round 1 of modswill be FIPK, Downpipe, Exhaust Not sure if I want to pull the resonator though because I'veread on this siteit putsan annoying drone in the cabin if you pull it (True?).

Round 2 (If I decide to go that way) willbe the throttle body, pulley and PCM (LAV74 I may take you up on that tune offer).

If it will help now I'll also include the addition of the 180* t-stat and plugs in round 1 unless you guys think thoseshould wait until I decide if I'm going with round 2?

On my next oil change I'm definately switching tosynthetics (Even though I'mon the downside of 40 I still like to race and smoke the tires).

Hopefully by the time I'm ready for round 2 I'll have a little more knowledge under my belt and with that andthe help from members like you I hopefully will be fine.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you are even considering changing the pulley, you MUST change your t'stat to a 180 and your plugs to Autolite 103's or NGK iridiums, 2 steps colder, whatever that p/n is. I went with the Iridiums for the longer life, cuz I drive TUNS of miles, and I didn't feel like changing my plugs 2 or 3 times a year with copper plugs.
The exhaust is fine for now, just get rid of the u-bend, and maybe a hi-flow cat, but expect P0420 codes if you change the cat.
I have everything we are talking about here, and am running a 3.4" pulley. About 290hp at the crank. Looking to up it this spring, but I got my hours cut, so no mun, no fun. Besides, LadyT's Solstice GXP is getting $$$$ put into it. Shooting for about 325WHP this spring there, but again, no mun, no fun. Got the Magnaflow 3" exhaust yesterday

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM

You're most welcome for the info... I've done all the mod levels, so I can safely say that I know what to do and what "not" to do. :-)

RockNSS04, 103 plugs are WAY too cold for a 3.4 pulley setup... Autolite 103s are 3 steps colder than stock... 103s are only required for intercooled high boost setups. 104s are 2 steps colder, and are pretty good for a moderately boosted non-intercooled setup.

For a good spark plug write-up, check this out, written by Overkill from Overkill Motorsports: http://www.oqcgp.net/phpbb3/viewtopi...44&t=37950

Resonator removal won't create too much drone, UNLESS you swap out your stock mufflers for aftermarket. Stock muffs are good for 300whp.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Autolite 103s are 3 steps colder than stock... 103s are only required for intercooled high boost setups.
Oops =)

I am running them, with no ill effects... gapped to .56 as well =)

Quick Reply: Pulley Size?