Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Programmable EMS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think tuning yourself with HP Tuners would be better than just buying anthing that you plug in, espacially with your mods.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Tons of people have purchased canned tunes, they are decent, but for something as intricate as a turbo system with meth injection and everything you are way better off paying to have your car professionally tuned, instead of something like a canned tune.

Find a place near you (IDK where you live) that does Tuning or go for a drive to a place like ZZP / PRJ, anything.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM

15 Year Member

Who did your turbo?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah I know I'd like it all custom tuned but honestly it's not easy to find somebody who's what there doing. Alot of the guys I know are old school no computers just motors. And then the price comes into play its not an issue I just dont want to get taken.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

HPTuners as said before:

http://www.hptuners.com/

Is the only tuner you can currently buy brand new.

There is one other option- the DHP Powrtuner- it is basically the same thing, although now discontinued- it is limited to mostly GM V6's though- but you can buy them used under $300.

Both of these systems use the stock pcm and just 'reflash' it through the obd plug.

Yes he means PCM and I do already have tuning done I'm not simple bud.
We didn't mean to offend you- in the Wbody world, we talk about the PCM, and PCM tuners- EMS is a more common term in other vehicles, hence why we didn't catch on right away.

How did you have your previous tuning done?

The HP Tuner does that take the place of the factory PCM? Or is it just a programer?
It is "just a programmer", but there is no need to get rid of the factory pcm- if you look at the HP Tuners site you'll see that you can adjust virtually anything you would want to adjust in your car.

K that would work. Do u know of anybody whos has used this before?
I've played with it a little- its a very clean interface, and pretty easy to use. However, if you have no tuning experience- it'll take awhile to learn. If you don't want to take the time to learn how to tune it, make a road trip to ZZP in Michigan or to PRJ in Indiana- they're both experts in 3800 specific tuning (and both use HP Tuners IIRC).

Most of my experience is with the DHP PT though.

Yeah thats pretty much what I'm looking for I guess. But the kind I'm looking for replaces the stock PCM and you put this on in its place. AEM makes them for 99-02 camaro's and I'm just looking for something similar. How many perameters does the HP tuner have?
There is no reason at all to spend the kind of money it costs to replace the whole system with a special programmable setup. There is a wbody running mid 8's in the 1/4 on a stock physical pcm- it is not a limiting factor for us. I bet those AEM systems are probably over $1k. We can get tuners for under $300 used (and I'm not talking hypertech garbage).

Check out the HPtuners link I posted and read up on it- if you don't see a parameter listed that you want to tune, let us know.

If you want the most possible tuning options- the DHP Powrtuner has more. They've just released an open software version of the Tiny Tuner for it which has unlocked more parameters to change, and gives the open source ability to map more if you know what you're doing. Honestly though even in stock form both HPT and DHP have more than enough tuning for the average person.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-10-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM

the turbo is the cartuning kit intercooled good kit but terrible customer service. Me and my father did the install. The PCM confusion is fine no harm. Ok the HPtuner sounds like a good product I'll have to do some research on it. Thats the only way to learn is to start playing with it and I'll have someone there who's more proficiant with the tuning aspect.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM

15 Year Member

Where do you live?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Honestly, you can learn a lot before you even buy it just by reading up on the HPT forums. Unfortunately their forums are a little more broken up (and have more irrelevant info with all the other vehicles) than the DHP forums, but its nice to have a head start on what to do before you get it. Really, all it comes down to is just playing around once you get it- its not too hard, but you just can't go into it with the expectation that you're going to be a tuning wizard in a day. It took me probably a month of messing around before I was starting to get really comfortable.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM

I live in Halifax Nova Scotia. Yeah I'd have to be on the forum for a while to just to make sure that they know what there taking about and not just throwing info out there.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM

15 Year Member

I see why going to a tuning place isn't the best for you then haha

Quick Reply: Programmable EMS?