Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

posi

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Default posi

does anyone know how to make a standard one legger into a posi without buying anything. Ive heard you can weld the spider gears but i wasnt exactly sure whether or not that was the truth

Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Default RE: posi

yes you can weld the gears in them.

now for the bad news.
this is a old racers trick, they would do this knowing that the rear end would not last to long.
Also driving a car with a welded rear end has alot to be desierd.
they tend to fight you in corners real bad and also not fun to take out and not know if your goign to make it back home.

Now if you dont car then feel free jsut worry about having the parts to fix it when you need them it is not a matter of if , it is more like When.

if you want a good posi set up that will last you a long time when treated right.
get a stock unit and upgrade the parst or get a rachet rear end. they are noisy but they dont break nearly as easy. and when you hit the peddel they are defently there for ya.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:09 PM

If you just want a posi for cheap put a mini spool in, same as welding the rear end but stronger and safer.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM

ok so as far as the rear end not lasting long do you mean like days or months. I know my friend said the camero he bought had the spider gears welded and he drove it everyday for a year. I was just wondering if it would last more than a couple of days.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 PM

it could last 6 years or 10 min. take your pick either way it is a grenade.

honestly if you just looking for it for street racing it is not the best option. your get in to it to hard with enough power and you will not only blow the spider gears out you will destroy the rear end housing in MOST CASES . so is it really worth it?
you wan tone cheap measure it out and i believe it is the 80's Camaro has the same measurements in certain years. or find out out of a Grand Nat they were a limited slip not the one wheel wonders

for even that fact like he said do a min spool they are cheap, reliable,and not hard to put in. not to mention allot safer.
I have seen spider gears go threw trunk lids on cars when they blew not to mention think of what all is right there and you most likely will never hear the boom if it blows threw the tank and is hot enough to spark off the tank or to ignite the fuel.
JUST TO C.Y.A.
I DO NOT, NOR DOES THIS FORUM, CONDONE RACING IN THE STREETS. IF YOU WANT TO RACE DO IT ON A TRACK AND DO IT RIGHT!! AND WHERE IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 PM

as far as i know, if you take em out, weld em good, get them competely clean.... should last. now if any bit of weld comes off (no pigeion poop allowed) it'd trash it too.

most importantly, this mod is off road/dirt track only, drive that on the street and u'll be lucky if noone gets killed. when turning your wheels have to turn at different speeds or one has to lose traction.