Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

porting intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default porting intake

how hard is it to get to and take off the intake manifold on 6th gen mc to port and polish them or are the welds good as is

Old 05-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Default RE: porting intake

It's stock so I am sure it could use some porting. You may want to think about finding one out of a junk yard, just in case something goes wrong you have a back up.

TVW

Old 05-30-2005, 02:46 AM

good call how much do you think an intake would run at a junk yard

Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Not sure of the cost, I would shop it.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:40 PM

it would more than likelt depend on how good it is and what the owner thignk its worht may be to you

Old 05-30-2005, 01:06 PM

ok so does anyone know how hard it is to get the intake off
[:@][sm=patriot.gif](seriously does the posting message come up for anyone else either ?)
"You can't post two consecutive messages within such a short amount of time"

Old 05-30-2005, 01:53 PM

most of the time once you get it it is not hard you just have to get to it by taking most of the accerories and other things they have on the top of the motor off to do so

alt comes off bracket will have to and the fule rails etc...

but normally they have bolts down both sides int eh vallies and that is it and then you fight the seal on thegasket and then clean it all up inside and out and your done put it back togeather and go for it.

you can get a porting kit from Eastwood.com they have all kinds of neat tools and toys for car lovers there. you might also find some stuff at Harbor freight. might check there also

Old 05-30-2005, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: big green dog

ok so does anyone know how hard it is to get the intake off
[:@][sm=patriot.gif](seriously does the posting message come up for anyone else either ?)
"You can't post two consecutive messages within such a short amount of time"
I'm being totally serious when I say this, because you don't seem to have a problem tackling pretty involved mods on your car, I think you would be wise if you invested in a Haynes manual. As much as it seems you take on projects and stuff, you'd prolly wear the pages out! Seriously though, excellent investment for the do it your self types like you.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:09 PM

how many extra horse you think you can get out of porting and polishing? yeah i love messing with cars but im having trouble getting some one to pay me to do it lol if anyone has some input on how to get more involved in professional car mod stuff basicly anything let me know

Old 05-30-2005, 04:21 PM

the biggest thing is have some of your work in a book that you can take in wih you as a portfolio and talk to the owner of places or the higest manager you can. and dont give up. Also if you have some schooling behind you for what you want to get in to this will help you also.

as far as how much horse power i have heard of gains ove 10-20 hp but hat also was dnt with a preformer intake and tey are desinged to do this. but im sure you will pick up a few also look at gasket matching your intake when you do this it is worth a few there to. also do the same to you T.B. it wil help to.

her is what i was told by a good frined that is a mechanic still

working on cars theses days are the cars that are hard to put a part on and ge tons of power out of them with that one part But it can happen on certin parts.
Big thing is to become efficante as a tunner learn hw to ge tthe horse power out of the small things that alot of pepole dont think of. IE gasket matching,the right spark plugs, the right fule presures . the right plug wires . and the right air cleaners etc.. things liek this will get you pretty far befor eyou spend money on it.
Think of it this way your motor is nothign more then a high out put air pump the more you can get in there the more it will push out,

so with that cowel hood your getting you can also get the stuff to make it a working cowel hood and that will help with you getting a cold charge for the car. Also im jelouse i have wanted one for a while but now i have flames on mine i cant justify having to red them and also paing 1000.00 for he hood pluse shipping and paint.
so i made a induction for my car that works ont eh same idea just not threw the top of the hood

Quick Reply: porting intake