Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

PLEASE HELP! >Car overheated this morning spewing coolant, images and videos inside,

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy PLEASE HELP! >Car overheated this morning spewing coolant, images and videos inside,

2004 monte carlo SS 3.8 non supercharged

Was coming back to the store this morning when suddenly the Hot Coolant Temp warning came on...luckily I was half a mile from my house so I continued home and immediately pop`d the hood. Coolant was spewing out of an elbow...and I am not really sure how to go about fixing/changing it or if its something I cannot do in my garage. I usually do all my own repairs on my vehicles but this one has me wondering...I am here hoping for someone who knows more than me and what I should do.

Apologize for the shaky cam, I was a bit frantic.

here is a youtube link - VID 20130905 123553 - YouTube

Name:  PDcfUZF.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  558.2 KB

Name:  op17oSR.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  621.1 KB

Name:  0aUPYKc.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  398.5 KB

You can see its coming out of that elbow...any have some advice for me or some direction? Thanks Everyone

Last edited by Space; 09-05-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: changed a few things 2 get attention from member's: Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Sorry to read about your problem...Several member's have had this problem, but it's beyond my knowledge on proper repairs..

Did you do a search with our MCF Search Engine >Search

Please be patience & I'm sure that one of our experts with assist.
Oh, how many miles on your Monte ?

Wish you good luck on getting your problem resolved

Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member

Hey thanks for replying!, I have 95,000 on my monte...and I am currently searching this site along with google for some help.

Bursting elbows seems this is a very common problem and I have been able to find some resources online. Sounds it something I can do in at home as well from what I'm reading.

I see a lot of people have replaced theres 2,3,4 + times...I wonder if they make aluminum ones somewhere.

Edit: I'd love to get rid of dexcool also if I can replace this in my garage...that stuff is gunked up all over the place.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM

You're Welcome,
I'm sure that one of our super member's that's had this problem will help & post. I believe there is a updated version that is better.

Good Luck 4-Sure

ps. Thanks 4 the friendship!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nothing wrong with Dexcool, the new stuff is actually some of the best formula for coolant in cars nowadays. Most car companies are running their own blend of Dex.

Elbows are a common problem. You might have to remove the alternator for better access, but it definitely should be something that you can change in your driveway.

There are 2 of them, and be careful to make sure you get ALL of the pieces out. They do like to break off and get stuck inside.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member

DORMAN makes aluminum ones - More Information for DORMAN 47065HP

Been reading a lot and from this site and others it seems the consensus is to stay away from DORMAN plastic and spend the extra money to get GM. Since these are aluminum I imagine they would be better in the long run.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yup it is deff them coolant elbows, I foxed this problem myself cost around 12 $ for part. It might seem intimidating but it is fairly easy, while your at it why not get your alternator tested. And if u decide to do it then deff wipe that whole belt down real good

Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member

Also get the aluminum dorman replacement this will never happen again if u do

Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member

So I'm working on my car and I can't get the radiator to drain...The plug is sitting on my desk in front of me but nothing is coming out.

I can put distilled water into the radiator cap and it comes out of the lower coolant elbow which is now removed...any advice?

This seems like a really awkward thing to have happen.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member

I would put a hose to the radiator and leave the plug out, maybe its something stuck in there and needs a bit of pressure to come out.. and remember to make sure those coolant elbows sit right lube them first this way you don't move those o-rings around, and you will still have a leak

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! >Car overheated this morning spewing coolant, images and videos inside,