Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

PCM Buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Post PCM Buy

So what's the best place to buy a PCM? Milzy? 3800 performance? ZZP? What's this option about changing gears? Is it actual gears in the trans like a RWD ring and pinion? Or "digital" gears in the pcm? (don't know too much about a FWD trans) Any performance gains at all? Noticable torque, horse power?...I have a custom CAI, new down pipe with a better flowing cat and U-bend delete, also resonator replaced with straightpipe.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not sure who has the best PCM for 3400's (sorry), but when it comes to ANY automatic or manual tranny car, there is no such thing as "digital gears". Whenever you want to change the gear ratio, you have to do it physically and then have the PCM adjusted for it.

PCM's can give you some power. I would guess that In your situation you could gain 5-10whp across your powerband. But you'd have to have a before and after dyno test to know for sure.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would honestly shoot Will at Overkill an email and talk to him about your PCM wants and needs.

:: Overkill Motorsports ::

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by zipper
I'm not sure who has the best PCM for 3400's (sorry), but when it comes to ANY automatic or manual tranny car, there is no such thing as "digital gears". Whenever you want to change the gear ratio, you have to do it physically and then have the PCM adjusted for it.

PCM's can give you some power. I would guess that In your situation you could gain 5-10whp across your powerband. But you'd have to have a before and after dyno test to know for sure.
That's about right for the power gains. I plan on getting a Dyno and possibly a tune when I get my MSD coil pack, MSD wires and e3 diamond fire plugs. Appreciate the info on the gears zipper!

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would honestly shoot Will at Overkill an email and talk to him about your PCM wants and needs.

:: Overkill Motorsports ::
Chibi, I was just giving that a look over and I just might opt for this one. I know that there has to be a re-learn feature right? Only if the CEL comes on I guess. After I get my PCM, am I still able to go to a Dyno and have them tune it further? Or should I just get it Dyno'd?

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 04-26-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

you'll more than likely have to do the re-learn no matter what.

your car won't even try to turn over without it

i got mine a milzy and no complaints so far

Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM

15 Year Member

do NOT change your coil packs, wires, or plugs. Wasted money. Stock is fine for a long time. You will not mod past the point of their effectiveness. Also you can't dyno with MSD coils, it throws the chart all over the place.

I believe Will keeps his tunes unlocked, so you can ALWAYS go to any dyno shop and get it retuned.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
you'll more than likely have to do the re-learn no matter what.

your car won't even try to turn over without it

i got mine a milzy and no complaints so far
Right, sound pretty good. Does it feel any different that stock? I know that 40WOT bog annoys the hell out me lol

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
do NOT change your coil packs, wires, or plugs. Wasted money. Stock is fine for a long time. You will not mod past the point of their effectiveness. Also you can't dyno with MSD coils, it throws the chart all over the place.

I believe Will keeps his tunes unlocked, so you can ALWAYS go to any dyno shop and get it retuned.
Okay, thanks for that info Chibi saves me some $$ haha. That sounds pretty cool. Now, I probably won't be expecting some huge gains, but I remember doing my otr (on the road) dyno with my scanguage II, I know its not necessarily the right numbers, but it'll give me a ballpark as to what i'm putting down. The last time I did it was 205hp. Whether that's whp or bhp, not to sure but seeing how the LA1 is rated at 180bhp, I figure it to be a base number, so with the PCM im thinking of probably 175-180whp...sound about right? That was before my downpipe install. Or maybe I'm just exaggerating the drivetrain loss lol

Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM

15 Year Member

Think 20% for the drivetrain loss.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Damn, guess I gotta do some math to figure this out lol

Okay, so I figure it to now be around 164whp. 20% of 205 is 41. (205-41) = (164) so that's what I'm going off of for now I guess.

Last edited by MonteLSV6; 04-26-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM

15 Year Member

That sounds about right now :P

Quick Reply: PCM Buy