Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

overheating but not????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Question overheating but not????

i have a 95 monte carlo 3.1L and i was having a problem with it overheating first it was the radiator, then radiator hose then waterpump ok i fixed all that now thw needle goes up past normal but wont fully overheat i dont know wat it could be when i stop the needle goes up but when i drive it goes back down then a turn it off and it barley turns over can anyone tell me what the problem could be thanks!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are you loosing coolant at all anymore? If so, it could be a head gasket, or intake gasket...

Also, it could be as simple as your thermostat....whens the last time you replaced it?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM

not losing coolant and i just replced the thermostat about a month ago... i think it could be my temp coolant sensor i just replaced that but not the connector...so its not plugged in so both fans run continuously cuz when i plug the connector in both fans shut off... and the relay is good so could it be that????

Old 10-13-2009, 12:28 PM

did you get all the air out of the lines of the coolant. since you replaced your thermostat, that could be the problem

Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by sonin66
did you get all the air out of the lines of the coolant. since you replaced your thermostat, that could be the problem
That was my thoughts when reading.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM

yea i thought that was the problem so i bled it through and still the same problem.. the needle says its overheating but when i touch the engine its fine and drives fine.. also my low coolant light is on but my coolant level is fine could that be what is casuing this??

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM

yea i thought that was the problem too so i bled it through and same thing.. i got the connector fixed and the needle is still going up but the engine is not overheating??? also my low coolant light is on but my coolant level is fine could that sensor be what is causing this problem???

Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could just be a sensor if your fluid is fine.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:10 PM

do you believe the the engine is overheating because of the low coolant light? change the sensor/repair connector and see what happens, use a reg. meat thermometer at the rad. cap when (careful opening it when hot) it shows hot to get a true reading or install an additional aftermarket temp gauge to make sure all the time

Aaron

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Hey, I just wanted to throw a comment or two into your thread. Your coolant level sensor would be the cause of the light being on your dash. You might be able to tap the sensor or even remove the sensor to cycle the float to make it work again. Sometimes if the coolant gets sludgy it will make the level sensor stick in the "down" or even the "up" position. Right now it sounds like it is in the "down" position. The engine will not overheat because the "low coolant" light is on. The light is just for informational purposes for the driver to check the coolant level.

You should definately repair the connector to the cooling fans. This is a good idea since it will not be that difficult. If your temperature goes down when you are driving and then it goes back up when you come to a stop then that usually means that the cooling fans are not doing their job to cool the engine while at slow speeds. Vehicles don't need a cooling fan if they are always driving at a good speed to where the outside air is rushing in through the radiator fins and onto the engine.

I believe your car has a bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing. It is used to let all of the air escape while you fill the cooling system with coolant/water. make sure this screw is tight and is not leaking any air into the cooling system. If it is leaking or if you just want to make sure that it is not leaking I would put some plumbers tape around the threads of the screw and reinstall the screw.

Let me know if any of this helps you or if you have found the issue with your cooling system

Quick Reply: overheating but not????