Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

is this over kill

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default is this over kill

i have a trans cooler and oil cooler on my monte. the dealer put on the oil cooler for free when i asked if they could put a trans cooler on it. ok here it is i have a extra fan on the trans cooler on top of the radiator fans. is that over kill the trans fan comes on when the radiator fan kicks on. i know the cooler the beter the life of the car will be as in less heat beter performance. i know the trans loves the cooler because it shifts alot better with the cooler on it then when it didnt have it. what i mean is is it over kill to have to many fans drawing in more air to help keep it cool?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 PM

All of it is way overkill. There is a factory trans cooler- if more was necessary for normal driving, it would've came with more.

Only time I'd do a trans cooler is if I was doing something that was putting extra strain beyond what the trans was made to do- like towing or something, otherwise, for daily driving it's a waste.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
15 Year Member

i was just wanted a opinion because it was runnin alot cooler and having more umph when accelerating. i just wanted to ask because it runs cooler but if it seems to be a waste i was tryin to avoid trans problems or trans are known for.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 PM

can anybody tell me what this statment means

"it was running alot cooler"

my car starts at the bottom and goes to exactly half way up the dial. never stays under or over. is my thermostat broke or is that what its suppose to do.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Old 03-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

same for mine, never goes past halfway, do you have the dexcool in it? to be honest, I have no clue if I do, but I'm thinking I do!!!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM

lol yes i do cause i feel ill have some major engine problems and need my warranty.

dexcool is orange
other stuff is green and by green i mean better. it probly alows for the needle to stay a little less than half.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
15 Year Member

mine sits at 3 notches down from center of the gage on the temp gage. hense the statement. runs alot cooler didnt mean it was it is dooler. plus living in florida and where i work i get into alot of stop and go. having it run cooler is a bonus for me i always hated traffic do to not letting enough air to move exept hot air from other cars.also having three fans come on to help to keep it cool is a bonus.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
15 Year Member

there is two types of dexcool the green and orange i am not sure wich one does what. what i mean is how cool it keeps the engine. by wich color i forgot wich one helps keep it cooler the beter of the two mazda has the same type of fluid for its motors green and orange. i think the green helps to keep it cooler but i would have to take a look into it

Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
there is two types of dexcool the green and orange i am not sure wich one does what. what i mean is how cool it keeps the engine. by wich color i forgot wich one helps keep it cooler the beter of the two mazda has the same type of fluid for its motors green and orange. i think the green helps to keep it cooler but i would have to take a look into it

you sure? i just by the prestone 50/50 bottle. 1 has lasted me 3 years, but i have to a a cup or so every month. the pre-mix makes that alot easier.

also, im sure running cool during the warmer months is cool, but during the winter months your heat wont work as good.

what does a transline cooler do??? is it just a mini radiator/aluminum fins?????

Old 03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
15 Year Member

pretty much it helps keep the trans fluid cooler if you do alot of comuting and other things like towing but i dont do that. but i get into alot of traffic thats why i put it on also highway miles as well. the types of colors dexcool has will say it on the bottle. and i have a tendency on staying with the same color do to still having a warrenty. the trans cooler the dealer put on and was told it was supose to be on it from factory i didnt complane some thing for free also helps keep the trans cool not a bad thing. back to the question on during the winter months the heat wont work as well it works great. i am toasty but it didnt get that cold down here in florida but when i was in va in december i was toasty and warm with the green coolent in the radiator. the green i think it helps cool alot beter the down fall it said on the botle do not mix with water use it straight. i am a little wiery but if it wont voild my warenty if the dealer sends the fluids to the techs at gm they cant say it was abuse.

Quick Reply: is this over kill