Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Default Oil Filters

I am new to this site and just wondered what brand oil filters most people feel are the best. The first oil change I did on my current car,an 05 with a supercharger,I used a Fram filter and Mobil 1 oil. But now I have been hearing that while the Mobil 1 is top of the line, the Fram filters may not be the best (just hearsay, no facts). I hope to keep this car a long time. Your comments will help me decide what to use.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Oil Filters

there will likely be plenty of arguement, but how can ya go wrong with a factory replacemnt ACdelco?

Old 08-25-2007, 07:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddauber

I am new to this site and just wondered what brand oil filters most people feel are the best. The first oil change I did on my current car,an 05 with a supercharger,I used a Fram filter and Mobil 1 oil. But now I have been hearing that while the Mobil 1 is top of the line, the Fram filters may not be the best (just hearsay, no facts). I hope to keep this car a long time. Your comments will help me decide what to use.
Hi Muddauber from the great state of Texas, and
Welcome to the MCF.
Please post pic's of your Tony Stewart special edition
Monte Carlo SS.
Tell us all about `it.How long have you had it ?
Click below link for information on oil/filter's.
Look forward to your future posts/pic's : )
`Space
[:-]Click below link [:-]

Old 08-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i would go with a wix filter, in my opinion they're the best, i use those filters with royal purple oil

fram filters have dropped significantly in quality ever since walmart started selling them....
there's going to be lots of people goin on about what is best....its just my personal opinion that wix is best, and they're not expensive either...

for your car you want 51040 filter, or if you buy it from napa its just a 1040 filter napa drops the first # off all wix #'s for some reason...dunno why

Old 08-25-2007, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe that the Wix filters are the best, also. Make sure you put on the "long" style, off a 4.3L. Bigger is better, in my opinion, and they fit fine.
I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 oil only because it is the only oil on the market that I know of with a 15,000mi warranty. I go 12,000mi between changes, but 6,000mi between filter changes, along with a tire rotation. My Chevy dealer does this. Their oil prices have doubled in the last year, so I have to find an alternative. Probably back to buying 5qt jugs at Wal-mart. Last qt of oil was almost $12!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member

yah the longer filter works good...a 51522 (or 51036, if its thes10 one)i think is the #, i just never put those in because they hold more oil..lol

Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm told the short ones are packed tighter with filter media, therefore the longer units letoilflow easier. Am I correct?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 08-25-2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the comments and the welcome.The part numbers are a plus, I'll need them to get my new Wix filter. I've had this car since new but have only logged on a little over 5000 miles.I have only changed the oil and filter once but since I don't put many miles on it I will change it based on the time it is in the engine.I bought the car with the intent to drive it everyday as I thought my daily driver was shot, but as it turned out, the old car started running good and I still use it. The Monte is a comfortable, fast, and fun car to drive. I guess you all know that! Don't have any pictures to post and not sure how to post them anyway. But when I figure it out I'll do it. I'm even having trouble responding to PM's. Can't seem to open them. So you guys that sent them, please be patient, I'll write back as soon as I can.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:18 PM

`Mudd, take some pictures, & we will assist you in posting them
You own a very rare Special Edition, and you are lucky not to have
that many miles on her : ) I don't think I could resist driving it everywhere
in good weather. Do you keep it in the garage ?
Do you know what number yours is ?
Read the forum FAQ's, and just keep try'in on the PM's, I've learned
by trial & errors...Lots of errors.
This forum is a friendly site, and we look out for each other.
Oh, you have to have a sense of humor, and don't take some comments to
seriously.
Look forward to your future posts, and telling us more about your Monte.
Wish you Safe/Happy/Fun/Fast miles in your
Special Edition Tony Stewart Monte Carlo SS.
`Space

Old 08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member

one thing you could do is create an account @ www.photobucket.com and then let us know that too, i'll show you how to link it to your signature

Quick Reply: Oil Filters