Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Is Nos Safe?...again(no fights this time)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Default Is Nos Safe?...again(no fights this time)

I have done my homework and inbetween that and what you guys said i have decided on a zex wet system. Zex seems the best since it comes with its own "brain" so to say. I am not a newbie to cars but i have never delt with a V-6 so thats why i needed the feed back. I see that the tranny does take a bit of grunt while leaving the line. sooo i read into it and if i put it on a rpm timer i can have it kick in around 2000 and drop off around the top of my power curve. So i get a roll into it before it juices the motor. I really want to put the nos system in since like many of you have said that its the best way to increase track power but still keep my decent gas mileage. i definitely wont run it on the street since i dont want to mess up my car. I also get pulled over alot having a red car and well a heavy foot. so a hooked up nitrous system wont help the situation. thank you all for your help. if there is anything else i should know please tell me.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Is Nos Safe?...again(no fights this time)

i don't know if it would hurt your or not... but could the sudden burst of power from the nitrous "shock" the tranny and cause a problem? idk

if you're only using it at teh track and not at the trakc every singley week, you'll probably be okay.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 PM

yes it is safe if you use it properly and properly setup your powertrain to handle it.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:22 PM

There's no reason to fight. :-)

NX is good if you know how to use it. Having it fire on at 2000 is senseless, because if you touch the throttle, you're spinning up to 2000. The TC doesn't lock on stock trannies until 2800rpm, so you don't want it firing nitrous until you're at least into the meat of first or second gear. I'd say have it WOT activated, so when you reach above 95% throttle, it kicks in, or have a switch so you can activate it after you hit 2nd gear.

For me, NX is useless in first gear... I would only spin. For a N/A car, you might want to shoot it 2 seconds out of the box.

It also depends on who you have tuning your car, and if they *can* tune it for nitrous. It's not a bolt on. It takes planning, and know-how to make it useful. Sure, you can bolt on a nitrous kit, and have crazy power while it's lit up, but are you doing damage to your engine?

1) Find someone who knows how to tune for nitrous
2) Buy your nitrous kit, Zex is a good brand.
3) Install and tune, and get ready to go through a few bottles before you're running efficiently, and in a safe range.

I'm thinking of juicing it myself when at the track, just to see how deeper I can take my Monte... without going turbo of course.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Zex is a good kit. I have delt with them a couple of times. Make sure you buy a few sets of plugs so you can get it jettin properly. Zex kits read off the TPS so I don't know of you can run it off a rpm activated switch or not. Take your time, install it by the book and you should do just fine. A small wet kit should be good to go, it is when ya start pushing the envelope that things go boom. I have a friend that runs a 400Hp pro fogger kit per head. After 150 passes he sent a valve out the hood on a nos hiccup. Good luck and have fun.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: carcrazy
I see that the tranny does take a bit of grunt while leaving the line. sooo i read into it and if i put it on a rpm timer i can have it kick in around 2000 and drop off around the top of my power curve. So i get a roll into it before it juices the motor.
The one thing you have going for you as far as the transmission goes is that as long as you're running street tires- its practically impossible to get enough traction out of the hole to break a major hard part (ie input shaft, drive chain)- you should light the tires up way before that.

I wouldn't worry about doing a timer, the Zex goes off throttle position %- so you can just use your right foot to change when it comes in. If it activates at 90%+ throttle position (I don't know exactly where it kicks in on the Zex), then just keep under that % coming out of the hole until you get going quick enough to put the power down- then floor it.

As far as the shifts and such- like Lav said, some minor pcm tuning can go a long way as far as that goes. If you're worried about having too much power spraying through the shifts- you can always change torque management settings to reduce engine power through the shifts and to make them easier on your transmission.

I really want to put the nos system in since like many of you have said that its the best way to increase track power but still keep my decent gas mileage. i definitely wont run it on the street since i dont want to mess up my car. I also get pulled over alot having a red car and well a heavy foot. so a hooked up nitrous system wont help the situation. thank you all for your help. if there is anything else i should know please tell me.
[/quote]