Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Is nitrous safe???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Default Is nitrous safe???

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS it has 68000 miles on it. can i put nitrous on without hurting the motor. I race frequently and i just am not getting the horsepower i want. Nitrous seems to be the cheapest route. Im thinking somewhere around a 75 hp shot.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Default RE: Is nitrous safe???

it hard to say but every nitrous kit i looked at said that i stock motor can take 20 hp per cylinder so V6 should take 120hp but i am not sure i would try that but 75 should be fine i cant see a prob

Old 06-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Tough call and it depends how much money you have. Nitrous in my opinion should be a last resort and done on a fully built motor. The 3800 really should be ok with that amount, but the transmission will tear itself to pieces.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 AM

before you do anythign like this answer this

1. Do you have a programmer?
2. Do you have abase line of wha thte car is doing now?
3. Do you have the money to replace the half shafts your going to tear up doing the giggel gas?

honestly the only thing that giggel gas is good for is to ge tyou to spend more money on parts. Un les syou knwo what and how to use it it can be verry costly if not deadly in the wrong settings. I highly recommend not useing it for a car that you have to have daily.

Also wiht the 3800's you can wake them up a whole lot wiht just getting them to breath easier and also with the same cash out lay can get a good cat back system started if not done and also look in to the 1:9 rockkers or even a cam and liffter set for it and it will change the whole attitude to it.

So unless you have a unlimited budget i would not recomend it.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM

like everyones been saying, the engine can handle it but i agree with dan...ur tranny wont like it too much and if done often it will destroy itself...if u want horsepower add a supercharger or go with a turbo...there is a turbo kit for our car but it costs about $3000

Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

nitrous is jsut temporary horsepower.. everyone i talk to with it ends up breaking something....

"All throttle, No bottle"

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 AM

Nitrous is very safe as long as you have a safe kit. When it gets dangerous is when you aren't monitoring anything and buy a cheapo bare bones kit with a pushbutton switch. There are many accessories that you can buy to help improve safety and consistency.

I personally think nitrous is under-utilized in our fwd v6 market. You figure a top swap would give another 40-50 crank hp, and would run $500-1000. For the same price range, you can get a nitrous setup that can do 50-75 or even higher. (although you do have to consider the use and refilling the bottle)

Don't get me wrong- I like my on tap power 24/7 as much as the next guy- but there have been a lot of various vehicles that have been very successful in racing with just a bottle and some good tires. I think its a good option.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM

5 Year Member

heres the thing about nitrous oxide... it burns MUCH hotter than gasoline. when added to the gasoline mixture in your car, it increases the engine temperature and weakens the gaskets, the o-rings on the pistons,you could burn hte top of thepistons off,the valves (they'll actually harden and crystalize if you use it too much), and the block itself if you run it too long. nitrous is only safe to use for a few seconds.. then you need to cool it for awhile. your water temperature gauge won't register as hot as teh engine is actually getting either.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

thanks for the feed back i probably wont go with a cheapo kit but i dont want a push button. im more interested in a throttle activated kit. im only running a 5 pound bottle. i have a ten in my garage but i think that will be two much. I only go to the track maybe once a month and dnt really push the car to hard. Im looking for just some simple horsepower that i can take off at any notice. I dnt have the money for anything like a turbo although i would love to do that and a supercharger seems to be too much trouble. The car is a gem and i dnt want to mess it up so im going to be safe.

Does anyone know where i could buy a nitrous kit like this with a 5 pound bottle and a double purge system??? Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/4279/1AA81C42A7F64738B9EEC4ED42098EC6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM

5 Year Member

if the car is a gem and you want ot take care of it, i'd think you wouldn't want to put temporary horsepower that 99 times out of 100 causes problems. it seems to me like a push button would be better than throttle activated... everytime yo uaccidently push the throttle so far you'd activate your nitrous... push button si only there when you hit it at the drag strip... right?

Quick Reply: Is nitrous safe???