Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Nitrous a good stoplight race mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 AM
Default Nitrous a good stoplight race mod?

I had never looked into this mod before, but if all I want to do is smash someone at a stoplight race, or I'm on the interstate and someone in a flashy car pulls up and we do a rolling race, but would nitrous be best for this if you only want your car to be faster when you actually need it? I heard too much nitrous on a stock engine will destroy it, but would I be okay with say...50HP of boost? And what are the prices and best places to find nitrous for a stock 2003 Monte Carlo SS?

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 AM

...Check our search engine for Infor...It sure is better to take it 2 the Track....I had 2 learn the hard way & still pay'in for my mistake...., but many of us have 2 learn the hard/expensive way.
Your $'s, Your License, your decision, your life & those on the road U are driving. Good Luck : ) 4-Sure.

I now am 21 and am still learning. Next time I will build a car for the track, and have a good reliable car for my highways. Speed cost 4-Sure....in so many ways....I love SPEED : ) I now think B-4 I speed and know the consequences of my acts if caught, or wreck, or kill, or injure myself or others.....It's 2 late when U R in jail/hospital/morgue I am starting 2 sound more like my grandfather the older I become...How comes he is always proven `right ? Let me know when U put a bottle on your Monte : ) ?
Below Links have some great vid's : ) ~> 1. Click 2. Turn Up Sound 3. Make Full Screen,
It's Smok'in ~> = = ===== EnJoy

YouTube - June Nitrous Street Car Brawl Preview

1 min 51 sec -

Here's a preview of the DVD we are producing of the June 2007 Nitrous Steet Car Brawl event soon to be available at our website.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPc74cp0Nw

YouTube - Nitrous Street Car Brawl

A short sample of a NSB last June at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WIFull length videos can be purchased at www.arspromotions.com.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFnMvQAx74

Last edited by Space; 07-21-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 AM

I had never looked into this mod before, but if all I want to do is smash someone at a stoplight race, or I'm on the interstate and someone in a flashy car pulls up and we do a rolling race, but would nitrous be best for this if you only want your car to be faster when you actually need it?
If you don't mind your car being dog slow 99.9% of the time, except at the drag strip and the few occasions you open the bottle for a street race- then its great, until the bottle runs out. Plus you have to always keep an eye on how much is left, because you can get a bite for a race, but have an empty bottle.

Personally, I think nitrous sucks as a sole power adder; particularly on a street car. I think its great for a drag only car; or to help spool a turbo or cool a supercharger, but by itself on a street car I think its a real pain, and doesn't really make the car any more fun to drive day to day.

I heard too much nitrous on a stock engine will destroy it, but would I be okay with say...50HP of boost? And what are the prices and best places to find nitrous for a stock 2003 Monte Carlo SS?
Its not necessarily that too much nitrous will destroy an engine- its too much power or something failing (ie sticking solenoid,etc). IMO, there is no reason you couldn't run a 200+ shot on a stock engine with proper plugs/gap, a tune with reduced timing, premium fuel, a fuel system that could keep up, and a progressive controller to roll into the power so as to avoid the shock load. If the bottom end on these engines can handle nearly 1000 crank horsepower in stock form with big boost, there is no reason it couldn't handle a big nitrous shot on a properly done setup.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

to big a shot you burn holes on your piston. air or moisture in the line well doom your motors toast id say do other mods befor the nos other power adders will go further in the long run imo

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM

I had some success using a Zex nitrous system previously. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
to big a shot you burn holes on your piston.
Have you ever seen this happen on a 3800 with an otherwise proper setup (ie pulled timing, good fueling, etc)? I've honestly never seen this happen (although I haven't seen anyone build an all nitrous 3800 either).

I would think what you really have to watch out for is KR- just like the supercharged guys; you start detonating and you're going to break up that upper ring land.

Worst I've ever seen on nitrous was John T's tuna boat; but that didn't burn through a piston- he had some sort of fuel issue (running a MP112 at 20+ psi on top of like a 100-150 shot), and the head gasket let loose on #3, and it melted a channel through the head and block escaping.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-21-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can't say ive seen it happen on 3800...mainly due to the fact i havn't seen much/done anything with them

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, get kit with a remote opener. It really sucks when you have stop the car, open the trunk, etc....

Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by hctr154
Oh, forgot to mention, get kit with a remote opener.

Thats another important point I want to make; if you pick up a cheapy used kit for $200-300 then no other mod is going to be able to touch it for the money and power. However, if you get a kit with all the safety features (low fp switch, wot switch, etc) and bells and whistles (remote opener, bottle heater blanket, purge kit, etc)- you're quickly getting into $500, 600, + kit; and at that point- you could do a top swap and make 40-50hp gain all the time with stock reliability and no refills.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Thumbs up Thanks 2 Chad Post : )

...Bumpin `Chad, Thanks for taking the time to share/post your knowledge..It's appreciated by many, including myself. I learn alot from your posts...Just wanted U to know that we appreciated all your help to our MCF Family.
It does not go un/noticed....THANKS 4-Sure
`Space & Member's & also the BeachBum's

Quick Reply: Nitrous a good stoplight race mod?