Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

newbie motor swap question on a 97 Monty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Default RE: newbie motor swap question on a 97 Monty

ORIGINAL: sickofsoyo

You COULD go with the L32 and do a top swap for a better supercharger, but that gets pretty expensive. The L32 has better compression, so doing the top swap will actually give you more hp than buying an L67 with the supercharder already, I think the difference is around 20 hp, depending on the SC you use on the L32. I have an L32, and it does pick up pretty quickly. I love mine. Great engines.
Let me see if i understand what you're saying. The L32 in stock form has higher compresion ratio than the L67. From what i remember the L67 was around 8.xx:1 while the L32 was in the 9.xx:1 range. Now the way i'm reading what you said, is to buy a stock L32, and pick up an aftermarket supercharger (seena few on ebay for $600ish i believe) and i'll have a bit more power? I think i'm probably better off sticking with the all factory stuff at this point since i really don't know anything about these cars AND it will be my brothers so if he has any issues he can bring it to mechanic and not totally confuse him.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Go with the 99 Regal. The L67 is a bulletproof engine and the Transmission is MUCH better than what came with the 3100. I'm not going to say bulletproof there, but next to it.

Plus it will be an easier swap with more modding if he wants to do that. The car has 240 hp at the crank or about 200 whp.For about $900 you can get some mods and make it 300to the wheels and make it a low 14 second car.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: wally

ORIGINAL: sickofsoyo

You COULD go with the L32 and do a top swap for a better supercharger, but that gets pretty expensive. The L32 has better compression, so doing the top swap will actually give you more hp than buying an L67 with the supercharder already, I think the difference is around 20 hp, depending on the SC you use on the L32. I have an L32, and it does pick up pretty quickly. I love mine. Great engines.
Let me see if i understand what you're saying. The L32 in stock form has higher compresion ratio than the L67. From what i remember the L67 was around 8.xx:1 while the L32 was in the 9.xx:1 range. Now the way i'm reading what you said, is to buy a stock L32, and pick up an aftermarket supercharger (seena few on ebay for $600ish i believe) and i'll have a bit more power? I think i'm probably better off sticking with the all factory stuff at this point since i really don't know anything about these cars AND it will be my brothers so if he has any issues he can bring it to mechanic and not totally confuse him.
yep, but like the others have said, the L32 tranny wouldnt be the best option. If you could do an L32 with the HD tranny, and a top swap, you would get the most power, but would probably cost more. I wouldnt look at an el-cheapo supercharger off ebay, I would get something a little better, like this...

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...-new-p-25.html

expensive, but probably the best SC out there. There are other things needed as well to do the top swap, so the L67 is probably your best option, especially when factoring in money.

this would be for a typical top swap for an L32...

http://www.wbodystore.com/grandprix/...kit-p-157.html

Like I said, L67 is probably the cheaper way to go.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:58 PM

First off- I did this exact swap on my car- and its going to be virtually identical for you. Here is the walkthrough I wrote up:

http://mymonte.com/discussion/index.php?showtopic=23142

I highly reccomend you read through all of it, as it should answer most of your questions (sorry about the formatting errors- I had to submit it and have a mod post it under my name because its in a tech section- something got goofed up in the process). But that should be 99% of the info you need. It doesn't make a difference if the car came with a 3.4 or a 3100 either- both will be identical for the swap since anything related to that engine gets replaced.

appears the 3.8 with a supercharger is the way to go
Yes, I agree 100%. I wouldn't bother with a 3.8 NA- especially if you're wanting to drop it in mostly stock for maintenance later on.

You might be able to get your hands on one from Moradparts.com. Ed always has tons of stuff in stock.

I love buying stuff from Ed- he's helped me out a lot in the past, but honestly his prices can be a bit steep- especially for a full swap unless you're a regular customer of his. If you're having a hard time finding the stuff- then by all means, go for it- but they can be found cheaper yourself or on clubgp's classifieds if you have time to wait and search.

If you can, get your hands on a 05-06 Grand Prix engine. They have the upgraded GenV supercharger and is a really good platform to start with.

That would be the L32 you're refering to. There will be some tricky situations when doing a swap with one- 1.) is the returnless fuel rail setup, you'll have to convert it to a regular return style fuel rail setup 2.) is the electronic throttle body, which means you'll have to buy an adaptor for an aftermarket TB right off the bat. Neither are a big deal, but from what I've seen the prices are considerably higher. You have to figure just the blower/LIM off an L32 goes for $700+ in good shape- so an entire powertrain can be much more expensive than an L67, and they tend to be harder to find.

I ask because i can get a 99 regal L67 supercharged motor w/38K miles complete, still in the car with everything listed above for $1,800. Is it worth the $600 extra for the power gains....and ease of install....
Yes- thats a good deal with good mileage- I'd go for that!

again, new to the whole GM thing and don't know much about what wiring harness will swap over easily.
Buy the 98/99 monte carlo Z34 (3800 NA) engine bay harness and the L67 swap wiring (from zzperformance.com)- that'll make your engine wiring almost plugnplay.

You COULD go with the L32 and do a top swap for a better supercharger, but that gets pretty expensive. The L32 has better compression, so doing the top swap will actually give you more hp than buying an L67 with the supercharder already
I think you're really confused- the L32 has the exact same compression ratio as the L67- both are factory supercharged, and both are 8.5:1. Maybe you're talking about the L36 (or L26)- the 3800 NA? That does have 9.4:1 compression. I just think for ease of swap, I'd get a complete L67 and just drop it in as a whole.

[quote]The L32 in stock form has higher compresion ratio than the L67. From what i remember the L67 was around 8.xx:1 while the L32 was in the 9.xx:1 range. Now the way i'm reading what you said, is to buy a stock L32, and pick up an aftermarket supercharger (seena few on ebay for $600ish i believe) and i'll have a bit more power? I think i'm probably better off sticking with the all facto

Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM

to tell ya the truth it would be easyer to swap a 3400 or 3500 non-VVT because they would bolt right in and i think that the 3800 was only available in the 2000 up monte's not sure but a 3800s/c is a nice swap
but i know of a guy that did a hot 3500 swap and he is puting 275 hp @ the wheels and that is n/a not boosted
but i know you can make good power with a 3800s/c too and it would be a good swap ! good luck with it

Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 AM

I think YOU totally missed that the haynes book covers both the 3.4 and the 3.8.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM

to tell ya the truth it would be easyer to swap a 3400 or 3500 non-VVT because they would bolt right in and i think that the 3800 was only available in the 2000 up monte's not sure
A 3800 bolts right in too. The only difference is, if you use the 4t65hd trans, you have to make a hybrid passenger side axle- otherwise you can use all stock parts to drop it in.

Not to mention a 3400/3500 doesn't have near the aftermarket of a 3800 s/c, and you're automatically starting 40+ hp down. Plus, you can swap to the HD tranny while you're at it.

The 3800 was available in a 5th gen monte, as I said above. They came in 98 and 99 in the Z34 monte, and LTZ lumina. So you just use the wiring from that, and its almost plug and play.

I think YOU totally missed that the haynes book covers both the 3.4 and the 3.8.
It is not overly helpful for a swap though. It does have decent instructions for general engine removal- and it does have a nice diagram of how to rebuild an axle in case you have to make your own custom axle (if you're doing the HD swap), but other than that its pretty worthless. It doesn't have any specifics that help with swapping engine/transmissions, just general maintenance stuff.

95% of the information needed for the swap is in the link I posted above. All you really need is that and some mechanical ability, and you'd be all set.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM

comparing 3400 and 3800s/c is like comparing apples and oranges !!
yeah i know that the aftermarket is not there but if you have fabbing skills you can make what you need
and i did not know that the 3800 was avalible in the 5th gen
then i guess its all preffrenceboth motors can be built up to make good power so it's up to what you want

Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I think its a matter of what is cheapest/easiest/quickest. He wants to do it for his brother so he has a fast car and have it on the road as soon as possible and still have it be reliable, I dont think he is looking into making it into a project car. Yes a 3400 or a 3500 can make power, but in order to make the same power the L67 can make you need to invest a lot more time and money. I think the L67 will be the best bang for the buck with an engine swap into his car.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: 88ss408

comparing 3400 and 3800s/c is like comparing apples and oranges !!
yeah i know that the aftermarket is not there but if you have fabbing skills you can make what you need
That could be said of any engine though. Heck, he could stick with his 3100, do a 3400 top end, and then fab mods off that and be in the same power ballpark as a 3400 swap.

With the 3800, you can buy 90% of what you'd need, hence why its so popular to swap.

He wants to do it for his brother so he has a fast car and have it on the road as soon as possible and still have it be reliable, I dont think he is looking into making it into a project car. Yes a 3400 or a 3500 can make power, but in order to make the same power the L67 can make you need to invest a lot more time and money. I think the L67 will be the best bang for the buck with an engine swap into his car.
I agree 110%, he was talking about swapping it in a near stock form to ease future repairs and such- and in that aspect an L67 would be much better. Stock for stock, an L67 would make more power than a 3400 or 3500 swap. Not to mention you could put the car into the low 14s/high 13s for under $1000 in mods- something that would be completely unheard of with a 3400.

Plus, just swapping a 3400 or 3500 in, I would assume he would keep his stock 4t60 to make the swap easier- and if you really get into heavy performance like that - the 4t65 has more available to it for upgrades.

Quick Reply: newbie motor swap question on a 97 Monty