Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

New Coil Packs ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Wait a second. ZZP says they use stock on their car (so did I). They said they have SEEN instances where aftermarket fail (who else said that?). I mentioned that people dyno testing the car with MSD coil packs often have to change the coil packs, they discuss dyno tests showing no improvement.

Really, I just paraphrase stuff that I have read, just because a source was quoted the information is not different. I try to save a lot of my time, and people's time on the forum.

I provide information that I find to be true. Real Life tested? No. Because it would waste money. I have the K&N system and I think it's trash. I wish I didn't have it and was a member of forums before I bought it.

If someone told me not to get it because it's bad, and they never had it, I would believe them still. If they said "no don't get this, it's proven inefficient in things I've read everywhere".

I try to help people modify their cars to the fullest extent of their budget. I like to steer people away from bad choices that could be a waste of money and explain why I think that.

I don't have a turbo, but I can talk to people about turbos because I probably have done more research than a lot of the people potentially buying the turbo system.

I don't have an L67 engine, but I could tell you how to safely modify it to be fast. Hey, I could even EXPLAIN the procedure to do maintenance on them, without ever doing it myself.

I'm not someone who talks out of their . I do my research, I find reasons to back up what I say. I don't need to pull out bookmarks and links and quote sources all the time, my reputation does that for me.

This topic is now done, any further rebuttles and arguments can be settled outside this thread. I believe Blazed SS has enough information on his original question regarding the coil packs now lol
The level of arrogance is a bit high for my taste, but to each their own.

I never put down your countless hours of researching or the fact that your life revolves around the Monte Carlo, all I asked was how you could judge something you've never owned or encountered face-to-face. Bringing up your post count, or your reputation doesn't have any thing to do with that matter. To satisfy my argument, I only ask that you don't judge products you don't have. It's truly as simple as that good sir. You don't see me saying that owning a Camaro is BAD for one's health simply because Camaro owners are likely to die, but I don't own a Camaro so how can I speak as if I do? (If you can't get humor from my lame attempt at poking fun at this drama, well, we just can't be friends ) But seriously, I'm all for the saving time, short, sweet, and to the point, but, you would have had no problem with me if you would have re-phrased your initial post. I took offense to you calling them BAD as if you had experience with them, when they in-fact have not been BAD for my engine, they simply have not always worked out well for others. So saying that people have had issues with them would have not even made me consider arguing, seeing how that is the obvious truth behind all of this. Also, if you would have happened to own a set, and they caused you problems, I would have not all made any of this an issue, I would have simply shared my experience and been on my way

As for Blazed, best of luck with your decision. I wouldn't do MSD coil packs for the reasons we cleared up long ago. If I had not found mine at a reduced price, there's no way I would have ever thought twice about buying them. The red housing, IMO, just says "Hey, Look at me!" Takes away from the more 'important' modifications under my hood. And quite frankly, there's enough horror stories out there about them to make us all lose a little sleep at night. So with that in mind, I say just paint the OEM and be happy with the new/custom look. If they're only at 4k miles, they're barely broke in! I had zero issues on my stock ones until around 80k miles (as far as I know?) so I would say they have plenty of live left in them, but that is just my individual experience which has came from HAVING those parts. Keep us posted on the progress though

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 10-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember reading on Club GP a while back that guys went with MSD coils and saw no real improvement, but to each their own

Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yea I was looking at the Accel ones also.

I knew there would be some on here that have tried them and if they were worth it or not .

I feel like I asked about the jet chip that will give me 100 hp LOL

Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Now I don't have any personal hands-on with those Jet Chips, but they seem legit

Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

A chip that makes your car a Jet?!?!?!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, I will say first hand, stock coils LAST a LONG time. GM used the SAME coils since '94 (maybe longer) on the 3100/3400/L36 (only the L67 had different ones). I had over 150,000K miles on my 3100 Grand Am coils before one went bad. I know some still on original ones. VERY durable.

I'm running L67 coils on my 3800 Monte, the wife's 3400 Impala and formally my '94 3100 Grand Am (now those are on my '02 Grand Am GT). Because of the low failure rate on stock coils, I recommend L67, but I would limit the budget to about $30 for a used set. I don't know how they compare with MSD. As stated, I've read many complaint about the MSD coils (and I read some claiming no issues with MSD warranties). But the most popular thing I've read, not worth the money, next to no gain.

What I can say, I've noticed a little improvement in throttle response with the L67 coils and for the last like 1-2 months, I have been driving my '94 Grand Am with the original coils back on (as this was when it was up for sale). IMO (and it might be the placebo effect), I noticed a LOSS of performance when I put the stockers back on. I was kinda depressed driving it the final 1-2 months because of it.

That's MY input on the coil debate.

NOW, if you've doing an HV3, Chibi mentioned some ER Rockers I think. You may also want to couple that with a High Velocity Throttle Body, or take the road I did and mod an L67 Throttle Body to work. Just food for thought.

Best of luck plotting your winter mods. Also, anything from ZZP, I would wait until Black Friday. They normally do some NICE discounts then.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

This was better than the presidential debates.........

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 10-24-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling wrong, again.....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
You don't see me saying that owning a Camaro is BAD for one's health simply because Camaro owners are likely to die, but I don't own a Camaro so how can I speak as if I do?

It pretty much comes down to what u want, if u like MSD go for em, pretty much all do the same it seems, so its all in looks, personally id paint the stock ones & this tread kinda makes me want to paint my coil packs now lol

Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, I will say first hand, stock coils LAST a LONG time. GM used the SAME coils since '94 (maybe longer) on the 3100/3400/L36 (only the L67 had different ones). I had over 150,000K miles on my 3100 Grand Am coils before one went bad. I know some still on original ones. VERY durable.

I'm running L67 coils on my 3800 Monte, the wife's 3400 Impala and formally my '94 3100 Grand Am (now those are on my '02 Grand Am GT). Because of the low failure rate on stock coils, I recommend L67, but I would limit the budget to about $30 for a used set. I don't know how they compare with MSD. As stated, I've read many complaint about the MSD coils (and I read some claiming no issues with MSD warranties). But the most popular thing I've read, not worth the money, next to no gain.

What I can say, I've noticed a little improvement in throttle response with the L67 coils and for the last like 1-2 months, I have been driving my '94 Grand Am with the original coils back on (as this was when it was up for sale). IMO (and it might be the placebo effect), I noticed a LOSS of performance when I put the stockers back on. I was kinda depressed driving it the final 1-2 months because of it.

That's MY input on the coil debate.

NOW, if you've doing an HV3, Chibi mentioned some ER Rockers I think. You may also want to couple that with a High Velocity Throttle Body, or take the road I did and mod an L67 Throttle Body to work. Just food for thought.

Best of luck plotting your winter mods. Also, anything from ZZP, I would wait until Black Friday. They normally do some NICE discounts then.
Thanks man !!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm not someone who talks out of their . I do my research, I find reasons to back up what I say. I don't need to pull out bookmarks and links and quote sources all the time, my reputation does that for me.

This topic is now done, any further rebuttles and arguments can be settled outside this thread. I believe Blazed SS has enough information on his original question regarding the coil packs now lol
I second what Mike said there. I have never known Mike to talk out of his . He's always done his research, and hasn't steered anyone wrong. Including me.

Quick Reply: New Coil Packs ??