Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

My Monte's new Heartbeat !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GT2 Cam, with modified heads and ER Rockers?

That doesn't sound right at all. Isn't the GT2 cam made for stock heads? Can you run the ER Rockers on that cam?

Got the HV3 insert?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

We will be uncreateing the motor tomorrow I know he Cam has a 20mi breakin period And I will know more tomorrow after we get to all of the paper work .What the final parts listed is .What I think I remember for the phone call with the mechanic when we where heading out of town last Friday when I ordered it they may have been optional part that I could get but before I hung up this is what I had wrote down in the car and I told him (the Mechanic ) to get what ever would max out the performance on the block. he called me back and told me at the wheel hp was going to be 247 WHP and that was the max with what he ordered with the upgraded parts and I was set for the turbo / SC for the future. Today they are taking the old motor out and we will start the swap tomorrow .
here are some pics from today

Last edited by Blazed SS; 08-29-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM

15 Year Member

I'm sorry but I highly doubt that engine is going to be capable of 247 WHP.

Intense racing with a fully sponsored car, stage 3 heads and cam made that.

The highest GT2 cam dyno I see is 205 WHP.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

I 2 was surprised by the # my mechanic told me on the phone and i will let you know what is going on for sure in the morning XP
I will say I am getting the upper motor mounts(dog bones) painted My Orange this after noon and my hood hinges repainted white(they were off white and I could never get them clean enough to really match the hood and fender ) and the exhaust manifolds are getting powder coated ceramic hi gloss black today so they will look better 2 !!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Chibi
here is what the paper says exactly

Buick/GM 3800 Series II V6 Preformance Engine with 230 hp and 240 ft-lbs of torque. This engine features the following updated parts:
  • GM Crank
  • GM Rods
  • ARP Rod Bolts
  • GM 10-1 Heads
  • Series II block custom bored-decked-honed
  • Custom grind 270`-.470" lift roller cam
As with all our crate engines, this Buick/GM 3800 Series II V6 Engine features pistons, rings, complete gasket set, oil pump, and valvetrain installed. The block is custom bored custom honed and cam bearings and freeze plugs are installed. It has a 3-angle valve job. Crankshafts are micro polished to factory specs. Each motor is pretested for compression, oil pressure, and oil flow before leaving the factory.
Our limited warranty covers parts and labor for 36 months / 100,000 mile.
born on date 8/19/2011
so no it will not have 247hp at the wheel but still not bad if you ask me

Last edited by Blazed SS; 08-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

That's cool that you're going NA, but I was hoping to see you go turbo or something to match the looks It's all good though. I went the NA route before, it's fun.

With that being said though, the specs on your engine were given to you are weird. What do they mean that it has "GM 10-1 Heads"? And the cam specs are very strange too, especially if it's supposed to be a GT2 cam. Specs on a stock 3800 cam look like this: Duration: 182/192 @ .050" Intake Lift: .258" Exhaust Lift: .258" LSA (Lobe Seperation Angle): 115*. A GT2 cam's specs are: 216/216 @ .050" .317"/.317" 111* LSA.

Another thing that I would like to know/be concerned about is how much they bored the engine. IIRC 3800's shouldn't be bored more then .010". That's because 3800's have thin cylinder walls.

Lastly, on 3800's you do either a cam or rockers. Not both.

Good luck with the new engine, whatever it ends up being spec wise, it will be better then your other engine. Throw some headers on it before you intall it

Old 08-29-2011, 06:59 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

I think what they are trying to say is that it is a 3800 with all of the curent updates for the curent time that they built the motor not the parts used at the time in 01. The pistons are 10-1 on the compression. I know that for a fact because I paid for the upgrade and I saw that on the other paper work. I think that is what they are trying to say on the GM 10-1 head

The cam does not make any sence to me either I will ask the mechanic tomorrow I was just typing what the paper had on it for the birth certificate

I am a shade tree mechanic at best so I will try to get more Info for you all. I change my own oil and do light maintenance I am not a engine expert just so I get that out there so pardon me if I don't know it.

Thank you zipper
I know the NA route is more common and if you are going to spend the money go bigger but I am not made of money I would have loved to do a 5.3 or made the car RWD but those are other people's dreams and not mine and if they have the money they should do it.
I think it is great that 1 week after it happened that I had the new motor here and I will have the car back before the 2 weeks are up new motor and the transmission beefed up and new break pads , water pump ,oil pan ,belt,and no more dex cool. Best of all some new paint on some parts like you Zipper it will be better than what was there before. This is how I decided to spend the $5000. I had saved

The money I am using was for the turbo that I had saved all summer to get but how pissed would I had been to blow the motor the first week after putting it on then I would have not had the money to fix the motor so to me it was a blessing of sorts that it went when it did. And there is always next year for the turbo ZZP will just have to wait

Even 200 WHP would be better than the 0 FWHP I have today XP

Last edited by Blazed SS; 08-29-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

All good points, especially being that your Monte is going to be up and running. You'll notice the hp increase just from the compression, let alone the other mods that your engine has. The only thing about having a 10:1 CR is that it's a bit high for a turbo. Ideally the CR for a turbo 3800 would be 8.5:1 or less. Whatever you do boost wise, if you keep an eye on knock then you should be fine.

Also, you're not going to want to wait for the break in period to start thrashing the engine, lol.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 PM

15 Year Member

You should look into purchasing an HV3 insert and putting that in too.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Lol hard for 20 mi change oil and then just driving it in town and no crusing or constant speeds for the first 500 after that change oil and then I can just drive it normal is what I was told to do

Quick Reply: My Monte's new Heartbeat !!