Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

my monte upgrades what you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Default my monte upgrades what you think?

hey guys i have a 1997 Monte Carlo LS and i am thinking about upgrading it a bit here is a list of what i hopefully am planning on putting in it, let me know what you guys think.

K&N Cold Air Intake
24# ACCEL Fuel Injectors
GM 85mm MAF Sensor Kit
HPTuners VCM Suite for my PCM upgrades
Magnaflow Catback exhaust from my local shop in town
maybe some pacesetter headers-shorty-ceramic coated
ACCEL Ignition Coil Super DIS
MSD Super Conductor Iginition Wire Set
Walker Oxygen Sensor
NGK Iridium Spark plugs
tinted windows
a voltage module unit from SpecD

with all of this would you guys recommend me getting a tranny rebuild or serviced or something or would it be just fine...also if any of this i dont need just let me know it is just a rough idea of what i wanna do..also im not sure if i could or should get a cam..i dont plan on doing the L67 swap cause i dont wanna go through that whole thing..plus i am on kind of a limited budget..any other recommendations just let me know..Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Default RE: my monte upgrades what you think?

yeah the ls trannys are weak, most definatly get it taken care of before upgrading your engine....also the flywheels on the 3.1's have problems so be careful about that.

other then that everything sounds good and i look foward to it.

btw welcome to the forums and post some pics

Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 PM

thanks man, i wasnt to sure about the whole tranny build...should i get a new one or what would be the most major thing that would need to be done with it..and also any ideas on which type of flywheel i should get...and ill be getting some pics up soon...ill be doing a whole "as i go" photo to see the transformation go haha...

Old 07-26-2008, 11:20 PM

chevy put out a updated one so u can buy one from the dealer then again the advance auto/auto zone ect.. so any new one will work, tranny will have a rebuild because it'll just fall all apart if you throw more hp at it. remember that entire powertrain was made for antipower pro mileage.

and the as i go thing works fine for me as ive done the same myself hehe

Old 07-27-2008, 02:17 AM

Most of those mods are worthless, I typed out a long reply and cant post it- this forum software is ****ing garbage... no wonder no one posts on here

Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 AM

why do u say they are worthless? again i am on a limited budget cause i have college i have to pay for too..but i would just like a few things to make my car run a whole lot better than it does now...and mainly i want things that i could do...since i never took an automotive class in highschool which was a big mistake...to me all these seem to be a good idea but then again i may be wrong..if you have any other suggestions just let me know

Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM

[align=center]Hi John and Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center]Things will get better when we get our new server[/align][align=center]We have some super members of the MCF[/align][align=center]that will help share[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck with your Monte[/align]

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM

I wrote a bunch of stuff, but it wouldn't let me post or PM you, so whatever.

Basically, the headers and tuner will add anice bit of power- a CAI/FWI will add a very small amount of power- and all the rest is useless. You've got probably $3k in mods up there and you will still have a hard time beating an NA 3800, and you'll get killed by an L67. To make anybig power on a 3100- you need heads/cam, or boost, or nitrous- most of which are more expensive than an L67 swap. I just wouldn't waste thousands of dollars on the mods above only to be lucky to add 40 horsepower or so.

Also, aftermarket parts aren't always better than stock replacements (plugs, coils, wires, etc).

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Just wondering how much would a L67 cost for all the harnesses, wiring and tranny plus labor for someone to do it for me? I have been pondering on it and it seems like that would be the best way to go rather than try to pull out as much power out of a 3.1 as i can...thanks for your input you guys

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Here is a whole kit for you. If I had the $$ I would probably pick it up and swap my 3.4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-Bu...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: my monte upgrades what you think?