Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

my engine keeps turning off on me while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

To be honest, the fuel pump isn't that bad. The worst thing about it is that you have to lower the gas tank, but otherwise, it's pretty straight forward.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM

The worst thing about it is that you have to lower the gas tank,
Not for the '00-'05. There is an access panel inside the trunk, under the carpeting. No dropping the fuel tank

he said if it was the crank position sensor than the car wouldn't start back up at all
There are several threads on here, some of them pretty recent, about people experiencing the exact same no-cranking issue that you're seeing. If the cps was completely dead, of course it wouldn't start back up at all. If it just has a bad connection, but is getting a signal sometimes, then it would cause the issue you are seeing. Has your mechanic actually scanned the car when this no-crank issue occurs.

I can't see how a bad fuel pump would cause a no-crank issue either. If the fuel pump was bad, the car would crank but not fire. I guess the fuel pump could cause the evap issue, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
You can have the fuel pressure tested at the rails, and that should give you an indication of how your fuel pump is operating.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM

yes he did scan it several times thats how we ended up replacing , the evap solenoid on the motor , the one by the tank, and fuel filter and every time we scan it after all the work we did the same code p0440 keep coming up , we even check the lines for leaks and found nothing, so now i'm thinking you guys have to be right its either cps or fuel pump...and hopefully this time the code would go away if i change the fuel pump.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:43 PM

my mechanic also said the p0440 code wouldnt cause the car to shut off while driving , he thinks something else is doing that but when we scan it , we only see the same p0440 code come up no other codes showed up on the scanner.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM

my mechanic also said the p0440 code wouldnt cause the car to shut off while driving
No, it shouldn't. The only way it would is if it is causing a huge vacuum leak in the intake manifold, which would cause the car to run really rough at lower rpms and possibly stall, but wouldn't prevent the car from cranking.
I'm also guessing that the no-crank issue and the evap issue are unrelated.

I hate to say it, but if your mechanic is an independent guy and can't figure these issues out, you may have much better luck at a chevy dealer. They tend to be much more familiar with our cars in general.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Smile

yeah you right , i was trying to avoid chevy dealers cost but it looks like thats the step i will have to take for sure, thanks a lot you have been a real big help thank you...

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 AM

just a something to think about, its a totally different car but anyways. my wife has a 04 kia optimia and her crankshaft position sensor went bad in the car. and when that went out, the check engine light was came on, and the car would just shut it's self off. the car would turn over but not fire. i would let it sit for a min or two, and try starting it again and if would fire right up. it would run for alittle while and shut off again. just though i would share that. hope it helps

Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Question

well this morning i woke up and went down stairs to start the car all lights on dash board came on and nothing happens , no turn over , no cranking this time, it finally completely broke down, so this time it should be easier to know whats going on with he car now, so this is the crank position sensor right. what y'all think now....

Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it sounds like you are stranded. That hurts. It's still sounding like the crank position sensor to me. Good luck. I hope you make it to wherever you were heading.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM

lol im not stranded i have other ways , i just dont like when any of my rides get sick thats all lol, but i will go ahead and get that check out.

Quick Reply: my engine keeps turning off on me while driving