Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   my cylinder compression is low , what you think could be?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/my-cylinder-compression-low-what-you-think-could-27678/)

78montecarlo 04-21-2011 04:07 PM

my cylinder compression is low , what you think could be??

I was cheking the compression on the cylinders and a few ones are only putting 30 pds , the car runs good no shake , no weird sound, drive like a dream . You think could be the head gaskets ???

P.s the car is not overheating

Budsjlm 04-21-2011 05:36 PM

are you losing coolant? does your oil look like a chocolate milk shake? how many miles are on your car? what where the others putting out? most usefull is if you could give us what # cyl it is and what the pressure, did you do it on a cold engine or warm?

it could be a number of things,

try putting some oil in the cyl that gave you low #'s and try it again, if they are better your rings are toast

78montecarlo 04-21-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm (Post 318068)
are you losing coolant? does your oil look like a chocolate milk shake? how many miles are on your car? what where the others putting out? most usefull is if you could give us what # cyl it is and what the pressure, did you do it on a cold engine or warm?

it could be a number of things,

try putting some oil in the cyl that gave you low #'s and try it again, if they are better your rings are toast

the car was warm, and was the second cyl on the left side . In the first crank compression was only 30 pds

car got 50,000 miles or 150,000 not sure ,oil is looking good . and the other cyl was putting 80 pds

Budsjlm 04-21-2011 10:06 PM

You should crank the engine until the guage reading stops climbing. An engine in good shape usually takes 3-4 compression strokes to max out. The trick is to set the guage up so you can see it while cranking each time.

78montecarlo 04-21-2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm (Post 318185)
You should crank the engine until the guage reading stops climbing. An engine in good shape usually takes 3-4 compression strokes to max out. The trick is to set the guage up so you can see it while cranking each time.

I going to try that tomorrow, I was thinking if I have to rebuilt the engine ,I just gonna go head and do a swap for a 454 engine . let see what happen .

Thanks you for the time

Budsjlm 04-22-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by 78montecarlo (Post 318188)
I going to try that tomorrow, I was thinking if I have to rebuilt the engine ,I just gonna go head and do a swap for a 454 engine . let see what happen .

Thanks you for the time

if you do that plan on getting a good amount of suspention parts, a 454 is ALOT heavier than a 305 they wern't built for a 454's weight

my budy had the hochtkis hit in his car and that if you put a bigblock in it recomends aluminum heads and intake to take a good amount of weight out

Hotchkis 89009K Hotchkis TVS Suspension Systems

also might want to think about getting a trans