Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

motor mount...im lost

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Default motor mount...im lost

hey all,

i have been reading about flipping, or rotating a motor mount on the 06 monte ss and tried to find a how to, or more info on it, but couldnt. i mean i have been up all night, but i looked and looked and couldnt find info.

If anyone can supply info that would be great!

Thanks

Gabriel

Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: motor mount...im lost

somebody mentioned this to me too for the 3.8 but i'm not entirely sure how it actually does anything, but its part of the mount in the dog bone style mounts on the top of the engine...

i'm kinda curious to know what it actually does

Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 AM

from what i am understanding, you rotate the the actual bushing itself, and have the solid ends facing front to back, and the open ends of the bushing, top to bottom. Apparently by doing this, it will help you with wheel hop and all.

I just want to know how to *properly* do this mod, without breaking anything.

Gabriel

Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 AM

it really doesnt eliminate wheel hop.... but it does keep the motor and trany from rolling around when you jump on the gas. the less they move the more power that gets put to the ground. and we all want that now dont we!

here is a side view pic of the mount we are talking about:

the top one is how it was and the bottom is the way it will be when done. as you can see the top will alow front and back movement and this is what we dont want.

now to do this:
use litium spray or WD-40 and lube up the bushing. then take and remove the mounting bar that connects to the motor but leave the bracket and the bushing attached to the car. then retighten the bolts on the bushing... then take a long wrench and or breaker bar and turn the nut. with enough force you will ge the bushing to roll forward and walla! your done! reinstall the connecting pieces and enjoy.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM

thanks for all the help folks, finally did this along with that air box mod. gonna drive it here in a bit to see the difference.

Gabriel

Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM

[align=center]Hi David -Z34-, [/align][align=center]Again I am inpressed with your auto knowledge : )[/align][align=center]I've learned from your post, thanks.....[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It sounds like a great Mod, but the DumbKid's would like to know[/align][align=center]why GM Chevrolet, didn't do it in the first place ? ? ? ?[/align][align=center]Can it be done to all Monte Carlo's ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks again `Dave 4 being a great contributing member[/align][align=center]to the MCF. We appreciate : )[/align][align=center]`Space & Gang[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/6FD19D290C7A404E9209AE4360527C0B.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM

SpaceRider's Posts can make a person feel, so special

Just an update, drove around the car for a good 15 minutes and you can feel a difference when launching! it feels to me that it launches almost twice as hard as before! As for the air box mod, if you step on it WOT, you can hear wind sucking in real nice...sounds like a mini mini turbo lol. I recommend these mods to everyone!

Thanks for the great forum!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 PM

the factory orientation is best for dampening vibration. the idea is to eliminate engine vibration and make the car smooth. in our search for performance we push away these comforts and accept the vibration for the hightend engine stiffness and performance.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 AM

I did this before I got my new polymounts.

I took off the dogbones, used a screwdriver to seperate the the metal housing and the mount to get some WD40 in there. Put the bolt back in and when the nut was on tight I moved both socket wrenches toward the engine bay and set them both to not click when pulling toward the front of the engine bay.

Then I just gave a sharp yank on both wrenchesand they flipped right over. It is actually a very easy mod.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks Dan - 04 Intimidator -, & David -z34phoenix-
for sharing your knowledge with the members.
I was home-schooled & didn't get 2 take Auto Mechanic's 101,
but I'm sure learning a lot on the MCF.
Thanks for your contributions.
Knowledge is Power
`Space

Quick Reply: motor mount...im lost