Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   motor mount...im lost (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/motor-mount-im-lost-4862/)

GooberMT 06-29-2007 07:47 AM

motor mount...im lost

hey all,

i have been reading about flipping, or rotating a motor mount on the 06 monte ss and tried to find a how to, or more info on it, but couldnt. i mean i have been up all night, but i looked and looked and couldnt find info.

If anyone can supply info that would be great!

Thanks

Gabriel

wiz kidd 06-29-2007 08:17 AM

RE: motor mount...im lost

somebody mentioned this to me too for the 3.8 but i'm not entirely sure how it actually does anything, but its part of the mount in the dog bone style mounts on the top of the engine...

i'm kinda curious to know what it actually does

GooberMT 06-29-2007 08:32 AM

from what i am understanding, you rotate the the actual bushing itself, and have the solid ends facing front to back, and the open ends of the bushing, top to bottom. Apparently by doing this, it will help you with wheel hop and all.

I just want to know how to *properly* do this mod, without breaking anything.

Gabriel

z34phoenix 06-29-2007 09:33 AM

it really doesnt eliminate wheel hop.... but it does keep the motor and trany from rolling around when you jump on the gas. the less they move the more power that gets put to the ground. and we all want that now dont we!

here is a side view pic of the mount we are talking about:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...23_42_full.jpg

the top one is how it was and the bottom is the way it will be when done. as you can see the top will alow front and back movement and this is what we dont want.

now to do this:
use litium spray or WD-40 and lube up the bushing. then take and remove the mounting bar that connects to the motor but leave the bracket and the bushing attached to the car. then retighten the bolts on the bushing... then take a long wrench and or breaker bar and turn the nut. with enough force you will ge the bushing to roll forward and walla! your done! reinstall the connecting pieces and enjoy.

GooberMT 06-29-2007 03:43 PM

thanks for all the help folks, finally did this along with that air box mod. gonna drive it here in a bit to see the difference.

Gabriel

BeachBumMike 06-29-2007 04:18 PM

[align=center]Hi David -Z34-, [/align][align=center]Again I am inpressed with your auto knowledge : )[/align][align=center]I've learned from your post, thanks.....[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It sounds like a great Mod, but the DumbKid's would like to know[/align][align=center]why GM Chevrolet, didn't do it in the first place ? ? ? ?[/align][align=center]Can it be done to all Monte Carlo's ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks again `Dave 4 being a great contributing member[/align][align=center]to the MCF. We appreciate : )[/align][align=center]`Space & Gang[/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/6FD19D290C7A404E9209AE4360527C0B.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

GooberMT 06-29-2007 04:31 PM

SpaceRider's Posts can make a person feel, so special :)

Just an update, drove around the car for a good 15 minutes and you can feel a difference when launching! it feels to me that it launches almost twice as hard as before! As for the air box mod, if you step on it WOT, you can hear wind sucking in real nice...sounds like a mini mini turbo lol. I recommend these mods to everyone!

Thanks for the great forum!

z34phoenix 06-29-2007 11:15 PM

the factory orientation is best for dampening vibration. the idea is to eliminate engine vibration and make the car smooth. in our search for performance we push away these comforts and accept the vibration for the hightend engine stiffness and performance.

04 Intimidator 06-30-2007 10:56 AM

I did this before I got my new polymounts.

I took off the dogbones, used a screwdriver to seperate the the metal housing and the mount to get some WD40 in there. Put the bolt back in and when the nut was on tight I moved both socket wrenches toward the engine bay and set them both to not click when pulling toward the front of the engine bay.

Then I just gave a sharp yank on both wrenchesand they flipped right over. It is actually a very easy mod.

BeachBumMike 06-30-2007 11:26 AM

Thanks Dan - 04 Intimidator -, & David -z34phoenix-
for sharing your knowledge with the members.
I was home-schooled & didn't get 2 take Auto Mechanic's 101,
but I'm sure learning a lot on the MCF.
Thanks for your contributions.
Knowledge is Power
`Space

04 Intimidator 06-30-2007 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center][/align][align=center]I was home-schooled & didn't get 2 take Auto Mechanic's 101,[/align][align=center]but I'm sure learning a lot on the MCF.[/align]
Well I wasn't home schooled but our school didn't offer Auto shop. Just some basic machine shop courses to teach general welding, foundery, and mill/lathe use.

Most of the stuff I learned was off my old Pontiac Fiero when I was too poor to bring into a shop or I new I was being taken. Once I was quoted 2 days and $1000 to change an alternator in the Fiero. They said they needed to drop the engine, lift the body off, change the alternator and reverse the process.

My dad picked up the alternator for $45 and after about 2 hours of playing around I had it replaced. Just needed to remove a motor mount and take off the distributor cap for clearance... then wiggle the alternator a bit. :) $955 back in my pocket. =D

FlynhghR 07-01-2007 08:16 PM

Imma have to look into this... Harder launches rule! Think if I ever to find a local strip with a test and tune day that's not this WINTER I'll have to do a time without the flip, and then with the flip.

I don't mine a bit of NVH, if it improves performance!

FlynhghR 09-23-2007 05:28 PM

Ok, where do you get poly mounts? I've searched all over and can't find em..

I've flipped the stockers.. and it's very nice, but I'm thinking I want the poly's...

ExplosiveSoundz 09-23-2007 06:36 PM

are you running FWD? do your mounts look like this they do on our older FWDs?

ExplosiveSoundz 09-23-2007 06:39 PM

IF they are, then these should suffice:

Motor Mounts

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...sp_mm_tbv2.jpg

Lemme know if that helps..

Also, a little writeup can be found here:

http://www.3800performance.com/msp_tbv2_mm_install1.htm

04 Intimidator 09-23-2007 09:32 PM

I've got a set of the 3800performance mounts myself and they work great. Not to stiff and not to soft.

3800p has the best balance for comfort and performance.
Intense is the next best mix.
ZZP has the stiffist but the best for performance.

scc24540 09-23-2007 09:32 PM

dammit mike u stole my idea haha, yeah i put solid polys in front of mine and oh hell yeah its a mega difference, u shoulda told me u wanted a set i know where to get em...

ExplosiveSoundz 09-24-2007 03:53 AM

I thought they were all the same stiffness? I kind of want ultra stiff, to prevent my TOG downpipe from wearing too much...

Maybe ZZP is the way to go then...

04 Intimidator 09-24-2007 12:41 PM

They all use different Poly manufacturers and this is just what I have heard from different boards. Some would complain that ZZP's are too stiff and then try the other 2 or vice versa, but that seems to be the running order. The ZZP's pretty much tighten the engine down very well, but you get one heck of a vibration in the steering column when in idle.

ExplosiveSoundz 09-24-2007 02:47 PM

I also read that today on a post, that you get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel column no matter who you go with, esp with ZZP.

Regardless, they seem like they are going to be a great upgrade!

TheFullMonte 09-24-2007 10:00 PM

lol... this is killer!.. there's nothing different bout this mod than how it used to be for the older generation montes. Back in the days of the rear wheel drive V8's or hopped up hp/tq small blocks.. a solid mount was used to keep the motor frommoving(twisting) so much under extreme torque load. Well that and the stock clam shellscould onlytake so much. It added to performance but made for a crappy ride due to engine vibration that was transferred from the solid mount. Expect nothing less guys!!!

FlynhghR 09-25-2007 11:29 PM

Ok, I might have to get those next paycheck. I didn't notice all your posts until just today... and I just dropped a bundle on a set of wrenches and a set of two jack stands, a floor jack, and some wheel chocks. Also happened to just get my billet Carriage works grille.Well, at least this time I'll have all the proper tools to do it myself instead of relying on the 9/16" I had to use when I originally flipped the motor mount... lol.

Look nice, and yes my car is FWD... Flipping the mounts helped immensely, but I notice weird movements on the highway while cruising.

Oh, and I don't have to worry about vibration at idle. the 60 degree V6 (like the 3.5 and 3.9's) are naturally balanced (no balance shafts, etc) so the engine shakes VERY little. The only time it shakes is if rolling slowly in idle, and that's due to fluidic resistance spikes in the torque converter. (that's what gm told me, lmao)

I'm kind of excited to get the poly's now.... two weeks is not going to be a fun wait..., here paycheck paycheck paycheck.... heeeeEEEEeeere paycheck paycheck paycheck.

FlynhghR 09-25-2007 11:32 PM

Ok, lmao, I'm being stupid.... those big chunks of poly.... is it just me... or shouldn't they be one great big bouncy uhh square?

ExplosiveSoundz 09-26-2007 11:22 AM

Haha.. I am with you on that one.. I spend my paycheck before I even get it... hopefully soon our compulsive spending habits will be reduced! Let us know how the mounts do... I didn't realize that your monte's engine was balanced like that..

Ours (00-05) move like CRAZY. I didn't realize it until I saw a dyno video of a stock monte...it MUST move at least 3/4 inch.. which may not seem like alot.. but wow.

Keep us updated!!

-Keegan

FlynhghR 09-26-2007 09:06 PM

Oh I'll definitely let you guys know... I mean maybe it's just me, but this should be up on the DIY section.... Just flipping the mounts is free, and it's seriously too easy.... I've done that, and had fairly good results. My only problem is that it does feel weird on the highway... I'm thinking because moving at that speed, perhaps the engine mounts have more to do with handling-as far as vertical strength than it seems they should. Because the car just feels different. Not bad... and in fact I can hardly tell really, kind of gotten used to it. Just different. I'm thinking because I move the strong parts to the forward/rear section.... and the weak parts to up and down... maybe that's having an effect. That's why I want to get the poly's, strong all around.

Any other mods you guys have done I should know about? lol...