Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Monte Carlo Lt

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM
1 Year Member
Default Monte Carlo Lt

I own the 3.5L v6. Not many mods I am aware.

I came upon a person who owns the Cobalt SS willing to sell the supercharger. The Cobalt being a 2.4L v4. He is asking $900 canadian for it. I have been asking major sites for a supercharger kit, and they all ask for over $5K. Which is a bit much for me.

Would it be possible to install his supercharger in my slightly bigger engine? One garage I go to told me it is not, and yet my old garage who does install turbo kits and superchargers told me it `can` be possible. Saying he would take a few more days to figure it out; which I cant afford being I'm single and need it for work obviously. Depending on the answer, I trust would be the best from this site I will base my decision on it.

Thank you in advance for any comments.
Duderino

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Everything is doable, it is just completely custom piping, and mounting and accessory belt routing, etc. etc. All depends on your wallet and a shop's ability to do it.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Moved thread to the Superchargers section.

I'm wondering if the supercharger from the 2.4L would be a little small for the 3.5L? I know superchargers can be super expensive. And there's not a lot out there for the 3.5 litre engines. But I wouldn't want to see you waste your money on a supercharger that's not right for you.

Of course, if it doesn't work for your needs, you could always re-sell it.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The cobalts use an M62 supercharger. I think it would be a little small for a 3.5L. There would also be a large amount of time, work and money involved in fabricating a custom intake manifold to mount the supercharger as well as custom making all the rest of the setup. If you cant afford to let the car sit for a long period of time I dont think it would be a good idea to dive into a project like that. If you want to boost your power, check out the WOT-Tech store at 60degreev6.com. There are a few performance modifications available for the 3500 V6.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I came upon a person who owns the Cobalt SS willing to sell the supercharger. The Cobalt being a 2.4L v4.
Technically, its an "I"4, not a V4- since the cylinders are all in a row and not 2 vs 2 in a V shape.

He is asking $900 canadian for it.
I have been asking major sites for a supercharger kit, and they all ask for over $5K.
Honestly, if you look around at even the more popular cars- that's about right for a totally bolt on kit. If you buy a SC and have a shop custom fab it to your engine, you probably aren't going to save a whole lot off that once you add up materials and all the hours at $100+ an hour.

Would it be possible to install his supercharger in my slightly bigger engine? One garage I go to told me it is not
Of course, anything is possible. If nothing else, a custom UIM could be made with just CNC cut flanges to mate the LIM, then welded to a simple plenum with a CNC cut flange welded on top to mate the SC to (which would also locate it to put the pulley in line with the others). Obviously the thing would be sticking through the hood, but shows it is possible on any engine.

For a cleaner install, I've seen 60* engines like yours with a supercharger mounted remotely:

This would allow you to still run a stock hood; but really the only part you'd need from his SC would be the case & rotor pack- nothing else would transfer over. You'd obviously have to buy the extended snout (I know YT sells them, not sure where else), and try and find what kind of inlet/outlet plenums they're using, or have a shop make them. Plus, while those engines may not look quite like yours- they're almost identical (I believe they're 3400's in both pics)- so it is obviously possible.

Saying he would take a few more days to figure it out; which I cant afford being I'm single and need it for work obviously.
Obviously you're going to need something else to drive in the meantime- fabbing up a SC to an engine it didn't come on is going to require more than a few days- they have to fab mounts, get the pulley system figured out, route all the plumbing, and then tune the thing- if it took a shop less than a week to do that, I'd be surprised- that's a good bit of custom work.

I'm wondering if the supercharger from the 2.4L would be a little small for the 3.5L?
M62 Superchargers

Eaton says:

The Eaton Supercharger Model 62 is designed for 2.5L to 4.0L passenger car and light truck engines
The larger engine displacement would just allow you to run a smaller pulley without knocking, since you wouldn't have as much boost to push against as the engine could better consume the air coming out. Don't get me wrong- its definitely on the small end, but heck- people are doing 400+ whp off M90's- I definitely think 250-275 whp would be possible off an M62 obviously given other engine mods.

He is asking $900 canadian for it.
This is the other thing I want to touch on- this price seems crazy high. From what I can tell $900 CAD is like $922 USD. Since you're likely going to have to have the mounts and plenums custom made anyways (unless you can find the parts they're using for those kits somewhere)- why not step up to an M90 off a 3800? You'd get a bigger supercharger for much much less money.

Examples:

$80
Eaton M90 Supercharger | eBay

$200
GM 3800 Supercharger eaton m90 96-05 | eBay

Sure the rotor section will be a bit longer on the M90, but the snouts would be the same length (you'd need an aftermarket one which would be the same for both)- and I believe the intake side of a 3800's M90 is going to be much shorter than that for the cobalt's M62.

If for some reason you're dead set on using a cobalt's M62, here are a few for under half of what your buddy is asking:

$400
05-07 Cobalt SS Red Line Supercharger OEM LKQ | eBay

$250
OEM 05-07 Chevy Cobalt SuperCharger 12597356 EJ20880 | eBay

I mean, I'd think for $900- you'd be maybe halfway to buying a complete, totalled cobalt SS (I'm talking the whole car, not just the supercharger).

Old 05-28-2011, 01:37 PM

for the price a turbo is a much better idea. you can get a nice turbo for $900 and then just have a shop fab up the piping. there is the STS turbo kits out there where the turbo is mounted under the rear bumper for applications where there is no room for one under the hood.

i have been watching a post on another forum where they were trying to adapt the M62 SC to a 3800 engine. the reason being is there is another type of SC that the cobalt guys are using that is much more efficient and in the end would be better then the M90. i think the displacement of the new blower is like 85 or 87 and would end up producing much less heat. that being said a custom adapter for that SC would need to be custom made plus the SC is over $1000 US. so for most this route is not worth it.

i personally think the M62 would be a great blower for my DOHC engine if i want already planing a swap to a L67 and if my trany was holding out. im all about the High compression and Low boost to make big power. yes it is riskier then low compression high boost but efficiency is in my mind the way to go. i dont want to make my engine less efficient only to make more boost and generate more heat to make power. also a low compression engine will be pretty slow when not in boost. where as if high compression it will still have power when not in boost and when it is ... Look out!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
1 Year Member

well guys, i thank you all for taking the time to give me some help,hints,and hope. sadly i blew my two front tires and rims, i still dont know what i hit, i was coming on a bridge and all of a sudden my car fell foreward and all the nitrous gas blew out( i dont use air,though now i am), since i work nights and mostly on the site once or twice a week i appoligise for the late reply.
after reading and checking up on your choices, i think i`ll leave my monte carlo as is and replug my cutout, my new Wanli tires are much heavier then my goodyears and create more drag and resistance,hence killing my tune i did recently. for now since the company i work for has sold out to Transforce and not sure of my curent future i made the sad decision this weekend after visiting my garage to ask follow up questions, the price would be too high and you were correct it would take more then 1 week to do since he can not fully work on my car alone for the whole time.
i`ll still be touring all the car shows in and around the Montreal area so if i run into any of you who live near here that would be great too. for now happy summer to all.
Duderino

Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM

my car fell foreward and all the nitrous gas blew out( i dont use air,though now i am)
Nitrogen, not nitrous- not trying to nitpick, just saying.

my new Wanli tires are much heavier then my goodyears and create more drag and resistance,hence killing my tune i did recently.
I've never heard of different tires having any major effect on a tune, are you sure something else isn't wrong?

for now happy summer to all.
Happy summer, and good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM
1 Year Member

i had 16inch 225,the new ones are 235 16 inch,,tubeless,,if any of you have driven a forklift with a wobbely wheel,,thats how my car feels now,,even though its at the respected psi of 44,,it still looks flat,and the tiniest bump i fly off my seat,slow speed bumps feels like my taco fart..when i accelerte from a stop it does drag a lot,push the pedal more then before to have the same take off, the engine growls more yet, every numbers checks out like all is normal,i admit my other pair of tires were really,really,,,really worn out from all the burnouts i did, 5-7 a day(night since i work the graveyard AND it rained a lot lately),,meh,,,i spend all my paychecks taking the thing in to a garage, once a month a v8 Monte comes up for sale around here,,i think foregoing a supercharger and might as well get the actual LS. once again i thank all who gave their opinions,after all its cause of you i avoid stupid things. Duderino

Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM

you might have a harsh ride from all that pressure. ive never filled a tire to 44psi. usually stay around 32. if you want an ss car with a v8 keep your eyes open cause ill probably be looking to get rid of mine soetime in the next 8mths.

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo Lt